Help London

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by lorger, Jan 6, 2014.

1. lorger

lorger Funster

Great news today I received a call to say I have a space in London marathon, so need some help on where to stay. I'm a member of the CC so I can use their sites they have but no idea how well these are placed for London and if I can get a tube or train in for the start of the race about 7am ish.

I don't mind what facilities the site has just need access to the start of the race, also a nice pub for post race celebrations just incase I win.

Thanks in advance Gerry

• Like Like x 1
  2. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

Crystal palace site probably however if you contact the organisers they sometimes have locations specifically for motorhomers/campers taking part in the race.

if you are not LEZ compliant, use Lea Valley or Debden and bus/train in from their.

CONGRATULATIONS on being selected xxxxx WTG

if you get really stuck and cant find anywhere, fly or drive down to us and we will sort you out

• Like Like x 1
  3. Red Sonja

Red Sonja Funster

Stay at the Caravan Club site at Abbey Wood. Direct trains from abbey wood to Greenwich or Maze Hill. The Marathon start is only about 5 miles from the site so a taxi wouldn't be too expensive in the morning. Train back from Charing Cross to Abbey Wood after the race.

I'm sure there will be others staying there for the marathon so maybe a lift to the start.

But only if you are LEZ compliant. I'm only a few miles from the site myself.

Sonja

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I would try Abbey Wood as well.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  5. lorger

lorger Funster

Thanks for the replies, I will have a look at Abbey Wood. Now for the stupid question how do I know if I'm LEZ compliant. I have a 2010 on a fiat 2.3 diesel.

We will probably spend a week there to do a bit of sight seeing and give my legs time to recover.

6. Spenders

Spenders

LEZ compliant?

As a rough guess I would expect a 2010 Fiat diesel to be LEZ-compliant, but as ever, you'd be well advised not to pay too much heed to my ramblings and check out the LEZ website, which has a section that enables you to check quite specifically if you are compliant or not. From memory you put your reg. number in and it gives you an answer!

Simon
    :thumb:

Edit: try this..... https://lowemissionzone.tfl.gov.uk/b/pb/lezComplianceProvideVRM.faces?referrer=lez

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  7. JimboT

JimboT Funster

try site in welwyn garden city train 25 minutes to center of london
    Jim

• Like Like x 1
  8. lorger

lorger Funster

Sod's law just checked availability at Abbey Woods and its full for that weekend, will give them a phone in the morning see if I can get a space somewhere I'm sure someone will cancel before then. Crystal palace also full.

At other recommendations can't seem to find anything close.

9. lorger

lorger Funster

10. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Typical Scotsman.... Its the London Marathon FGS!!!

Book a nice Hotel, travel down by train.... treat Lorraine to a tour of London, a show etc and then run the race before getting the train back...

leave the camper at home,, it's London.... (its crap down there anyway)

all i want to know is how did you get this place? is it a charity place? haver you murdered someone?

Ive been trying for 6 years and still aint got a place :Sad:

• Like Like x 1
  11. daisy mae

daisy mae Read Only Funster

Hi Good luck with the race,

my Daughter has run it 6 times now, every year her time was better than the one before, unfortunately she was injured last year and had to pull out.

I can find out where they stayed, if it is of any use.

Margaret

• Like Like x 1
  12. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi Paul

I actually got balloted out then the club offered a space to all member who got balloted out which I didn't get, the person who did get though has pulled out so the club have passed it on to me. I will take some pics for you so you can see what its like :Rofl1::Rofl1:

The reason we are taking the MH is because we will be having a few days holiday before getting to London and a week after the marathon, well that's my excuse have you seen the price of those cheap hotels I'd be scared to look at the 2star ones :Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

Hi Gerry. Congrats on getting the place.

When I did it a couple of years ago we stayed in a hotel with the intention of getting the tube in. Luckily we walked around the corner to check where the tube station was only to find it closed for emergency repair work!! A quick check of the internet showed a mainline station near by so we went over ground.

I was realy impressed with the LM organisation, there were marshals on the platforms directing runners ( whole train full of runners, great atmosphere ). The train companies put extra carrages on to cope with the all the runners converging on the start areas.

In a long winded way I am trying to say - don't discount the over ground trains to help in your search of campsites. Do you know which start gate you will be in yet?

14. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi Sandra
    Thanks for the tips, I have only just found out today I have a place so waiting for an email from LM for my registration, so no idea what pen ill be in I think I'm down for the elite runners :Rofl1::Rofl1:

I have just looked at the LM site and notice the race doesn't start for the normal p,orders until after 9.30/10.00 so should have plenty of time to get in might even jog in and back for a warm up and cool down :Rofl1::Rofl1:

15. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

Well you will be well and truly cooled down again in the first couple of miles, while you shuffle along trying not to tread on the heels of the people in front. :Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  16. ourcampersbeentrashed

if you are looking at ilford you might as well try lee valley sewardstone road site

or come down by plane or train and stay with us for the weekend

• Like Like x 1
  17. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi Gail thanks for the kind offer but we are going to making a holiday of it so will need the MH for the days before and after the race as we will have 2 weeks off.

18. ourcampersbeentrashed

The link for the ilford camp site isnt coming up it just gives a login and registration. If you want to send me the details - address etc we could check it out for you. I have my doubts it would be anywhere near ilford train station though.

19. lorger

lorger Funster

Thanks again Gail its a 20 min walk from the station according to the reviews, thankfully though I don't need it now as I phoned Crystal Palace site this morning and even though they are full if you try to book online I have managed to get a pitch, must be my Scottish charm works all the time :Rofl1:

20. robnchris

robnchris Funster

Hi, If that doesn`t work out there is a C&C Club site just outside the M25, you can walk to the train station from the site to get into the city.

Theobalds Park Camping and Caravanning Club Site
    Theobalds Park, Bulls Cross Ride, Waltham Cross, Hertfordshire’ EN7 5HS.
    Tel 01992 620604.

Our son is running in the Marathon again this year so we know the difficulties of arranging accomodation and the the planning required etc etc.

Good luck.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1