Help!....Info re toll passes on French peages needed! (1 Viewer)

TeeCee

Free Member
Jan 24, 2015
romford, essex
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-4
Exp
Since 2011
Hi...simple question (I thought!)....My motorhome MTPLM is 3.85tons.....so....is there a toll system in France that I can buy a window 'tag' to save me struggling with cash at every toll?
Despite asking the same question to organisations that I thought could advise me they all have failed miserably..mainly giving me info for vans UNDER 3.5tons!
Frustrated? You bet.....haven't got much hair but still feel like pulling what's left out!
Ta in advance...Funsters seldom fail me!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we are well over 3.5T and don't use tolls due to that and being over 3m high

but from what I recall reading, you can have a tag but need to be economic with the facts on the application

I believe your comments are right, strictly it only applies below 3.5T :)(y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I am assuming that your van is also less than 3 metres in height and running around most of the time you are most likely very close to 3500kg in which case you would be deemed to be class2 (if they weighed and measured the height) and could use a Sanef LiberT tag, purely technically of course you are class3 so the decision is yours to make.

I should have added if you really want a class 3 tag you could try Eurotoll, the difference between class 3 and class 2 is eye watering, and certainly enough to keep me off the toll roads whenever practical.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Just apply for a tag at Sanef we got ours when purchasing a tunnel ticket which they have an offer to save you paying the initial set up fee our van is under 3m and 4250 towing a car trailer never had a problem.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
we are well over 3.5T and don't use tolls due to that and being over 3m high

but from what I recall reading, you can have a tag but need to be economic with the facts on the application

I believe your comments are right, strictly it only applies below 3.5T :)(y)
You don't need to be economic with the facts.. the Sanef tag is interchangeable between vehicles and issued to you.

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
our 4500 / 7.3 mtr van always comes up as class 4 on the tolls - we just press the info button, say "Camping Car" into the speaker and the operator changes it to Class 2. Wouldn't have this option if we had a tag! We always pay by credit card so no scrabbling about for change. just done tolls from Calais to Euro Disney 32E class 2 but came up @ 64E class 4 at first.
We don't normally do toll roads but on this occasion, travelling with 2 toddlers decided we would pay :)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
our 4500 / 7.3 mtr van always comes up as class 4 on the tolls - we just press the info button, say "Camping Car" into the speaker and the operator changes it to Class 2. Wouldn't have this option if we had a tag! We always pay by credit card so no scrabbling about for change. just done tolls from Calais to Euro Disney 32E class 2 but came up @ 64E class 4 at first.
We don't normally do toll roads but on this occasion, travelling with 2 toddlers decided we would pay :)
Your van is similar in size to ours .. we use a tag and normaly get charged as a camping car .. only on a couple of occasions have we been charged more (the tag doesn't work and you have to do it manually)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Stick a Guiness beer mat in the windscreen and just drive straight through the buggers :)

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
My son had our car over with our sanef tag and I idly checked where and when he had been. There was a duplicate entry - only for 90c so not the end of the world but just a reminder to check each bill as it comes in. They are not infallible.

Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
ATMB did have a good offer on and even without the offer it works out cheaper than the sanef tag from the tunnel. We pay ours by Halifax clarity credit card.

StanandShirley

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Chatteris Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Titanium 640
Exp
four years
Used our Sanef tag this year for the first time no problem saved hanging out of window with card or cash. Remember using it on a 3.5ton van will carry a 40% extra charge to get a car tarrif you have to be under 3.2ton. The extra charge still applies if paying cash or card

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
You don't need to be economic with the facts.. the Sanef tag is interchangeable between vehicles and issued to you.

I stand corrected, I thought when people on here talked about these tags they bought a class 2 which I thought was the only option to cover a motorhome, but technically not right if over 3.5 T and or 3m high

So are you saying you can buy a class 3 or 4 tag? Or is it simply a tag and they just charge you what class they think you are? Which would be hard to argue when the bill arrives I guess

Think I will stick to paying at the booth or better still not using :)(y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I stand corrected, I thought when people on here talked about these tags they bought a class 2 which I thought was the only option to cover a motorhome, but technically not right if over 3.5 T and or 3m high

So are you saying you can buy a class 3 or 4 tag? Or is it simply a tag and they just charge you what class they think you are? Which would be hard to argue when the bill arrives I guess

Think I will stick to paying at the booth or better still not using :)(y)
I believe that you are correct David, if you read the application for the tag it says that by completing the application you agree to only use on on vehicles class 2 or less, yes it is interchangeable with the boundaries of class2 or below.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think you know that is not true really,

Subscribe for a Liber-t account
In order to sign up for a Liber-t tag, you will be required to set up a Direct Debit by completing the form below. Fields marked with a red dot (
required_mark.png
) are required.

All the normal Direct Debit safeguards and guarantees apply, for more information Click here.

Please ensure that you have familiarised yourself with the CHARGES for the Liber-t scheme before signing up (Refundable Security Deposit and Usage Fees). Full details of the charges can be found on our FAQ page and in our Terms and Conditions . Also you have a Class 1 or Class 2 vehicle (under 3m in height and less than 3.5t in weight).

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Hi...simple question (I thought!)....My motorhome MTPLM is 3.85tons.....so....is there a toll system in France that I can buy a window 'tag' to save me struggling with cash at every toll?

Use a credit or debit card instead of cash. After the first time it doesn't need your security number - card in, card out, barrier up, brum brum.

The advantage of that is you'll be charged Classe 2 regardless of weight, assuming you're not hugely over 3m. The Eurotoll tag assumes Classe 3 by default.

I'm about to up-plate from 3500 to 3850, and am sticking with being assumed to be Classe 2 - it's cheaper.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I think you know that is not true really,

Subscribe for a Liber-t account
In order to sign up for a Liber-t tag, you will be required to set up a Direct Debit by completing the form below. Fields marked with a red dot (
required_mark.png
) are required.

All the normal Direct Debit safeguards and guarantees apply, for more information Click here.

Please ensure that you have familiarised yourself with the CHARGES for the Liber-t scheme before signing up (Refundable Security Deposit and Usage Fees). Full details of the charges can be found on our FAQ page and in our Terms and Conditions . Also you have a Class 1 or Class 2 vehicle (under 3m in height and less than 3.5t in weight).
No.. it's quite true.. to apply for the tag you do not have to be economic with the facts..
It's sent to you .. no matter what vehicles you own or intend to drive...

How you use it is a matter for you.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back