HELP...... Fridge not working

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Bobby22, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Bobby22

Bobby22 Funster

Our frdge has just lost all power.

Came back from a trip to the shops and there is no power to the fridge. No lights no nothing

Checked all hab fuses........all ok

Full shopping in fridge including beer

Any body any ideas.......... @Techno your an expert on fridges

2. landscaper

landscaper Funster

Worth checking that the van is level. Our fridge won't work unless the van is relatively level.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Teuchter

Teuchter Funster

Try it on gas - see if it is OK - then start engine and try it on 12 volts - see if it is OK that way you narrow it down to where the problem exists.
    If it works OK on Gas & 12v then find the 230v fuse supplying the fridge - it will be separate from the 12v hab fuses.

4. EX51SSS

EX51SSS Funster

Suppose a silly question but have you tried gas? Are you on EHU? If so, check to see if tripped out. Did that in Germany when put kettle on.

5. SandraL

SandraL Funster

If no internal light in fridge working then you have lost the 12 volt supply to the control circuit of the fridge. ( Lets hope bulb not gone or door switch faulty....)
    Can you remove vent at rear of fridge and use multimeter to check if you have volts there.
    Remrmber it is not the heavy 12 volt wires for chilling fridge when driving but the thinner ones for the control circuit of fridge. If no 12 volt there your problem is external to fridge, ie the supply wires. If you cannot find the fault run some new wires from 12 volt supply, fused at 3 amps or less to bypass your fault. If you do have 12 volt at rear of fridge fault is n the fridge. Most fridges ( all?) Need the 12 volt for the control to work on mains, gas or 12 volt.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

For goodness sakes people, Bobby said there is NO POWER TO THE FRIDGE, NO LIGHTS OR ANYTHING! Being level or not won't affect power to the fridge will it? I understand you're all just trying to help but giving misleading advice is counter productive.

Bobby, if there is no 12v power to the fridge then something has failed somewhere in the supply line, fuse is the obvious so I'd suggest you check them again with a tester, only last Thursday I had a van in with an electrical fault, customer had "checked all fuses" but the fault was an open circuit fuse, it looked ok but when tested with a Digital Multimeter had no continuity. If the supply fuse really is ok then something somewhere has broken the circuit, could be the main power switch on the fridge or it could be an earth wire has failed due to corrosion or rodent activity. It would also be helpful to give some details of your motorhome and fridge, make model and year can go a long way to speeding up a diagnosis.

D.

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. EX51SSS

EX51SSS Funster

Very good replies. However if he had a multimeter or access to one or knew someone that had one and could read it, isn't it possible he'd have tried that before posting on here?
    I suppose for a lot of owners a multimeter is a bit of must have kit. I have a gadget for putting against a wall to see if there are any studs or electrical wires there. Proudly bought it a decade or so ago and it's still sat in its box it came in because I honestly don't feel competent enough to start knocking my house about. I'd rather pay someone who has the skill and knowledge to do it. In Bobby's case, I'd be in the dark (sorry about the pun) because I don't have a multimeter, volt meter or ampere analyser and if I did, I wouldn't know what to make of it. I do my job because I know what I can do and get paid to do it professionally so I get a professional in to do the things I can't.
    I hope you get it sorted Bobby or B & Q are still open.

8. Bobby22

Bobby22 Funster

Thanks for your reply Dave, i have a Dometic RM 8401 I have changed the fuse which was ok just as a makesure, i have taken the vents off the back and made sure the multi plugs were fully engaged.
    I don't have access to multi meter as i am on a ths, very frustrating.

It is in a Swift escape on a 63 plate

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  9. EX51SSS

EX51SSS Funster

@Bobby22 . If you did have a multimeter, would you know what to do with it. Hey!!!! Maybe it's just me who can't read one but obviously I'm not the only one not to have one. I feel for you Bobby. You never said whether you tried it on gas.

10. dave newell lvs

If there's no 12volt power to the fridge then unless its a very old unit he won't be able to try it on gas will he? Hence my previous reply!

D.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Bobby22

Bobby22 Funster

Thanks for your reply, i do have a multi meter but it is in the garage at home. I do know how to use it but murphys law and all that.
    I can't, as Dave says, try it on anything as it won't power up to change over.
    Hoping it is something silly, and not totally goosed.

12. landscaper

landscaper Funster

Sorry :(

13. EX51SSS

EX51SSS Funster

See, there you go. I'm obviously useless because I didn't know that it wouldn't work on gas without a 12v supply.

• Like Like x 1
  14. EX51SSS

EX51SSS Funster

Ah must be just me then. I should get a multimeter to sit next to the gadget for seeing if there is electric cables or studs in wall. They say they're workhorse in a pair on Antiques Roadshow.
    Over my lifetime, I've got dozens of useless things or things I thought are must have that I'm just not impressed with. Loads on sites rave about the Double Skillet. Well SWMBO liked the look of it best part of 10 years ago but decided it wasn't for using and it's still in the original box. Brand new. Hee hee. I'm not the only one who bought something that I ended up not using. Anyone else out there done that?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bobby22

Bobby22 Funster

EX51SSS, If you would like to learn how to use a multi-meter there are plenty of tutorials on you-tube.
    You can buy one for around £10 from Toolstation. Once you learn how to use it you will wonder how you managed all these years without one. :LOL:(y)

16. EX51SSS

EX51SSS Funster

Well I saw a tutorial about the other gadget and still in box. Watched all about the Double Skillet and so is that.
    Other than testing the fridge and say sticking into holes to see if you might get a shock had you put a screwdriver in it, what would I use it for?
    I'm seriously not DIY good. Over the years I've learnt not to touch things because where a job may be small, I can make it worse.
    Here's a typical example, I had a loose floorboard in my bathroom (in other house) and I pulled the carpet back and noticed that exactly where you'd put your first step, it was lower. OK!!! I lifted it and noticed that there was 2 nails with chucks of wood. Well these chunks had broken off over the years. Bear in mind, I don't know how this should look anyway. Right, I can do this, so I got a piece of wood and hammered into place. Yes that worked to a degree but how long will that last? Put a stabilising piece underneath. Cut wood, measure twice, cut once! Brilliant. Tapped it under the new pieces of wood. Put floorboard down, perfect!!!!
    Dead chuffed! Went downstairs for a cuppa to celebrate. OMG! Two little holes in the ceiling with small bits of wood sticking through.
    Replaster ceiling required.
    Another?
    Having new carpet in spare room. Took carpet up and underlay. Brushed room clean. Noticed a gap around. That's why room was always chilly. Expanding foam! Went all round and worked superbly. Janet trimmed off excess next morning. Carpet fitted and room warmer. Fitted and forgot.
    For about 5 years.
    Janet in kitchen and noticed a leak from ceiling. We had a false ceiling because cheaper than replastering the two holes.
    Phoned insurance company. Sent plumber within the hour. He replaced a broken joint. He said, looks like someone used expanding foam. It grows for years apparently. Oh dear said Janet. He said, it happens. As luck would have it, insurance sent builders couple of days later and they assessed and said, complete new ceiling AND new replacement false ceiling because colour wouldn't match. OK, a result but I keep away from trying to save a couple of quid these days. Get it done by someone who knows what they are found.
    BTW. I've got a Swan neck swivel table to go in the moho. Got the fittings (not the top yet) and extra upright holding one. Any competent person want a job to fix it in PLEASE? I do pay.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. dave newell lvs

Ex51sss, if you're such a non DIYer why did you feel the need to offer advice in the first place?

D.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  18. PeteH

PeteH Funster

Dave. Is right. Modern fridges (the van is on a 63 plate so 2013 then?) will not work in any mode without a 12v regulated supply. It is not unknown for a power surge to "zap" the regulator either!. A small 12V Bulb and a short length of wire bridged across the supply wires will tell if the unit is getting a supply?. Which is how we did it before small cheap Multimeter's showed up!, (My old "AVO" was the size of a couple of bricks and just as heavy!).

Try Here For Wiring diagrams :- http://td.dometicgroup.com/_pdf/2890318_e_10s_web.pdf (aprox Page 53 of 208 for English!

Pete

19. EX51SSS

EX51SSS Funster

Because I was trying to be helpful. I can see a problem and I can usually work out a solution but I don't have the skill or competency to follow it through. It was obviously not good advice but I don't think it's worth being hassled about. OK, I admit I don't know but at least I tried to help rather than just ignoring someone in obvious distress.

• Like Like x 1
  20. EX51SSS

EX51SSS Funster

Ah right. Would you prefer guys and girls like me not to proffer advice. At least I didn't make fun of bobby because he'd got no power or give an absolute inane response.