Help - any Android experts?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by John Laidler, May 5, 2014.

1. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

This is quite a nitty, gritty Android question. Last year I could upload photographs from an SD card into my Nexus tablet. To do this I used the Nexus Media Importer app, an OTG cable and a small SD card read. When it was all plugged together I could see the files on the SD card and transfer them to the tablet.

Now, stuck in Spain it doesn't work. The media importer app reports it is connecting to the USB device, the card reader, but when I insert the card it just say " waiting for media" and nothing happens. I have tried all combinations of plugging it together, card, cable, reader first but all fail.

I can only suspect an Android update has caused this because last year it worked fine.

Has anyone any suggestions - other than buying a different tablet!

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Have you checked that the card hasn't been corrupted?

3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Good point but I have tried two cards, one from the camera and one from the GPS. It can see neither. I will try some googling and see what comes up. There may be a new app I can download.

Afternote: initial googling suggest all will be fine if I "root" the device, but I am loathe to do that as it really shouldn't be necessary for such a simple thing.

I have downloaded Total Commander app and will give that a go tomorrow. Land of Nod calling strongly now!

Last edited: May 5, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  4. activecampers

activecampers Read Only Funster

Have you tried to unplug OTG cable, then plug card into cable, then cable (with card ready installed) into Nexus 7?

No reason why it shouldn't work, and its not likely to be an update as mine is the latest and worked okay yesterday (but had to do it in that order)

5. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

have you tried using one of the free file manager apps in case the nexus import program is corrupted? had this with a samsung and tried a different file manager and the problem went away, including in the samsung software as the basic files must have been updated installing the new app

6. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

A corrupt program seemed to be the problem. I tried another app but couldn't get it to work so I uninstalled then reinstalled Nexus Media Importer, which was the app which worked last year. Now it works although the bottle of cold beer in front of me might have helped.

So it seems to be sorted now. Many thanks for the replies, it is always good to talk these things over, makes me think I am not alone with the problem.

Just need to upload some images to my blog. www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/spain2014. Which I will do after another beer. Estrella Damm by name, excellent and much more refreshing than the ubiquitous San Miguel, which I am told is a Philippines beer.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  7. sallylillian

sallylillian Funster Life Member

8. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

9. RS_rob

RS_rob Funster

Have you tried sending the files via Bluetooth that's what I do :thumb: