Help - aerial has fallen off! (1 Viewer)

Jan 17, 2022
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Neuvo
Exp
Newbie!
I was up a ladder today doing the post wintering on the drive roof clean and I noticed there was a little gap at one end of our aerial mounting.

I pushed it back down and heard an unpleasant crack. Turned out the internal fitting to the base has perished and it was only being held on by the tension of the RF cable connector into the aerial’s internal male plug!

Anyhoo, we don’t actually use the TV aerial at all (iPad streaming instead), so I dont actually need to replace it - but we’re away soon so need to do some kind of quick fix. Options seem to be :

1. Shove it back on, hope it holds
2. Take it off, leave the base alone
3. Gunge the whole base in Sikaflex to prevent water ingress
4. Remove the base and pack the holes left somehow.

#4 seems the best option of course, but I’ve never fitted one of these, so not quite sure what I’ll find up under the base. Anyone know what’s there - and suggestions for a water tight seal?

Many thanks,
Heeb.

IMG_7590.jpeg

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I would leave the base on, you might use the hole for something else in future. Just clean it thoroughly and fill it full of sikaflex.

Done!
Sounds like a cunning plan I would do ! I might be tempted to silkaflex the aerial down (dependant upon damage)

Upvote 0

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
Was it the mutli directional aerial, if so that's just happened to my mum and dad's van which is only three years old

Will be interesting knowing what you plan to do with it

Upvote 0

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
Was it the mutli directional aerial, if so that's just happened to my mum and dad's van which is only three years old

Will be interesting knowing what you plan to do with it
I recommend anybody with factory fitted multidirectional aerials should have a quick squint at the comments in this thread:

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I would leave the base on, you might use the hole for something else in future. Just clean it thoroughly and fill it full of sikaflex.

Done!
I was going to suggest this but first, I would cap the actual Arial hole with a blanking grommet or something.
It might be needed later and trying to remove the Sikaflex might be a problem.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
Jan 17, 2022
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Neuvo
Exp
Newbie!
So, this is definitely in the sledgehammer to crack a nut territory, but what I actually did was fit an additional solar panel and reused the hole for cables and the gland casing covered 2 screw holes completely and I just sikaflexed the last.

I had been planning/dithering about doing this upgrade (with new MPPT controller and a B2B) for ages, so this was just the nudge I needed 😂

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back