Hello, slightly apprehensive newbi

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Russ Humphreys, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Russ Humphreys

Russ Humphreys Funster

Hello everyone. We've just completed our Sprinter conversion and will hopefully be heading off through Europe next week.

It's a 318 Sprinter 4x4 (for when we head off through Africa, assuming we survive the next few weeks!)
    For the petrol heads it's a 3.0V6 diesel, 190bhp, 440Nm with selectable 4wd.

I'm slightly apprehensive as this is our first camper van and first extended trip. So will we actually like it and will we get on for a long period:)

Vaugue route:
    Through eastern France, Italy, ferry to Corfu, mainland Greece, maybe ferry to Crete then back up through Croatia. I guess apart from the above some of this will depend on the weather.

I think we will do the Dover-Dunkirk crossing. At the moment I don't think we will stop off in the UK the night before, I can't find anywhere that looks cheap and appealing around dover. Unless anyone has a suggestio?

• Like Like x 2
  2. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Welcome. :)

3. wigster

wigster Funster

:welcome4:

4. MH 55 FUN

MH 55 FUN Funster

:hiya2: & :welcome3::):)

5. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Hello and welcome . I'm sure you'll get plenty of answers before tonight! A lot of Funsters stop around Calais and know good places to stay overnight! I can't help as I don't need to cross water...I live here;)...in France that is:)!

Amicalement

Frankie:):cool:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. The Dude

The Dude Funster

Hi Russ,
    Have a think about travelling to Greece via Croatia, Montengro and Albania. Great journey and will save you some money on ferry costs. We did it in 2014 - got info on this if you want it.
    welcome animated smiley.gif

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Will you get on + long tortuous route. Like jumping off the White Cliffs and Calais or bust.

It takes time to get used to MH living especially in a new build. Why not settle for Italy and back, that will tell you all you need for now.

8. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

How exciting. My husband converted a new xlwb Peugeot van . We love our Pug. It's got everything we want on , and in it. Plus nothing we don't.

It would be great having a 4WD vehicle . If only to get off the wet boggy grass, let alone go round Africa !
    Please post some pictures of your finished result , inside and out.

Can't help with your request , but welcome to the forum. I'm sure someone will be along to help you shortly.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd Funster

:HelloThere: & :welcome3:. Yes please do post some photo's. It'd be really nice to see the conversion. Apart from that, have some great adventures. Do life before life does you.

10. Russ Humphreys

Russ Humphreys Funster

IMG_20160719_1654009_rewind.jpg IMG_20160719_1702434_rewind.jpg IMG_20160719_1700185_rewind.jpg Wow what a great welcome:)

I like that "do life before life does you", that pretty much sums up where we are. We've both jumped ship from stupid employers, so this needs to work!
    Some photos hopefully attached. It's built with overland travel for 2 in mind, a permanent double bed, fridge/freezer and shower/toilet seemed to be as much as we needed / wanted. Although it's got heating we're not planning on being sat inside it much or going anywhere cold and wet.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Russ Humphreys

Russ Humphreys Funster

I can't figure out how to edit a post so just wanted to say what a great source of information this forum is. I've literally only found it today and have already bookmarked and saved loads of useful info.

Thanks again.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Russ Humphreys

Russ Humphreys Funster

Well do want to see Italy, especially the south, hence the route plus we've never been to Corfu. We will probably return via Albania, Montenegro and Croatia though so any pointers greatfully received:)

13. Russ Humphreys

Russ Humphreys Funster

I'm know, hence a little apprehension.
    We've trialled it for a night in Wales before it was finished which wasn't great and a week jn Devon where it worked just great.
    Its a risk but hey it'll be fine:)

• Like Like x 1
  14. MikeD

MikeD Funster

When we travel via the tunnel we always stop at Gravelines aire. Around six euro if I remember right but I am sure only a few pay

15. ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd Funster

Wonderful photo's. I never knew that there was a snorkel available for the Sprinter, we learn something new everyday or as someone once said, everyday's a school day. Your van looks very able to do the job. We have a LWB Sprinter which we've owned for a couple of years & its uber reliable, hope yours will be too.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Hi Russ welcome to Fun, I see you have used your 5 free posts up, it really is worth investing the £15 to become a full member, giving you unlimited posts access to all the information the site had to offer in fact help at the click of your finger.

:welcomesign:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  17. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

You smooth talkin' smooth talker you, no wonder you were the number one anti-freeze sales person in Dubai.

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. Jo662

Jo662 Funster

19. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

A snorkel on a motorhome :eek:

I hope all your doors are well sealed or it may get a bit damp wading those African rivers.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Russ Humphreys

Russ Humphreys Funster

IMG_20160514_085413_kindlephoto-373650919.jpg
    It's more for clean air in dust, even though it's the 4x4 version it's basically a standard van intake system which doesn't have any dust or water separation. On previous trips to Morocco I've seen air filters clogged within days. Having said that when I changed the air filter the air box was full of dried muddy water so although it's raised by 120mm over a "normal" sprinter it's still possible for it to self destruct due to water.

It is quite high though:)

Here it is next to my brother in laws T5

• Like Like x 3