Hello I wonder if you nice people can answer two questions

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by John and Cheryl, Dec 5, 2011.

1. John and Cheryl

John and Cheryl Read Only Funster

Hello I wonder if you nice people can answer two questions I have
    Question 1 is I have a SMEV oven and I have not found out how to light it I cant see a electric switch, there is a switch for the light and one for a rotisserie but not one to light it.
    This seems strange as there is on for the hob and that works fine
    Question two
    I have a 240v switch above my wardrobe that does nothing, below the wardrobe is the heating system.
    It looks like the type that should light when turned on but it does not light up and I don’t know what it does, see attached photo.
    Thanks for any help.
    John

Attached Files:

2. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Hi

Re switch can.t help

Re oven lighting may have to be lit with flame as they do not all have electronic ignition. Some times it is turn on the gas and hold in till going. This can apply even if the rest ignites by electronic ignition, has caught me out before.

3. John and Cheryl

Thanks for the reply Dave I guess I will just have to take some matched or but one of the auto gas lighter with the lomg neck you can get

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Never seen an oven with an auto igniter .. not to say there aren't any .. Our SMEV had to be lit using a naked flame.. all have to have the door open, basically this is for safety.. if you were to try and light with the door closed and there was a tiny bit of gas in the oven..... :Eeek:

• Like Like x 2
  5. John and Cheryl

Very good point Jim never thought of that,Doh:Blush:

6. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Our Thetford oven has a built-in electronic ignition

7. scotjimland

there's always one aint there :Laughing:

bet you can't light it with the door closed.. :Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  8. keith

keith Funster

More than one Jim, ours also has an electronic lighter & can be lit with the oven door closed.

After over 4 years never had a problem with it :thumb: Cannot remember the make but have seen many vans with the same model so it must be the way they do them now.

There must be ventilation where the air can get in or the flame wouldn't burn so there is probably a way at the rear somewhere that would let out any residual gas out & I can see a gas drop hole in the floor directly underneath the oven.

9. scotjimland

I stand corrected .. must be using non explosive gas now :Laughing:

10. icantremember

icantremember Funster

She who uses said appliance reckons that she lights it with the door closed.......I can't really comment 'cos I always move to a 500M exclusion zone for safety:Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  11. rob kinnear

rob kinnear Read Only Funster

WE have a Smev cooker with electronic ignition in oven. We have found by trial and error that it will not ignite if the hob lid is fully vertical and the ignition is from the same switch as the hob I hope this helps

Rob

12. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

our's is the same:thumb:

13. ciderman

ciderman Funster

my smev lights with door open fully and turn +push in to activate the ignitor and gas valve if it dosn't spark or light with naked flame then suspect the 12v is not connected to the oven:Smile:

14. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

Ours also has electronic ignition. Turn it and push it in for, clickety click as it sparkety sparks..

I always do it with the door open that way I can see clearly when it ignites, never tried it with the door shut, because if it does not spark straight away..........:Eeek:

Only ever used the oven rarely for savoury pastries, pies, etc and occasionally reheating Curries and Chinese. Now I have fitted the microwave, guess we will use it even less, if at all.

• Like Like x 1
  15. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

not sure, but these push knob automatic sparky things may be battery powered....and the batteries are dead !

one or two D type dry batteries in a holder somewhere under the oven.

16. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Yes, we also have a Thetford oven in ours, like calumwa's it's "clickety click, sparkety spark"! Bingo!
    We light it with the door closed and can see whether it ignites with the auto ignitor "pressy down button":thumb:
    Probably all the newer vans have these nowadays......there appears to be vents etc at the back, so no problems with that.
    We have had a problem trying to get the fridge to ignite when we switch it over to "gas mode" though:Blush: maybe just not got the hang of this yet though.

17. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

FIRSTLY YOU MUST HAVE YOUR HAVE YOUR 12V SWITCHED ON.... the 12v that runs all interior and exterior electrical items in the Motorhome, for lighting ,water,etc,......this is to power the igniter

Both of our Motorhomes have / had igniters.....The last van was a SMEV oven...( the wife thinks! as most of the time you do automatically)....you turned the control knob to a set start position holding the knob down, the press the electronic igniter switch(near the control knob) until the oven is lit...still holding the knob down for a few seconds until the gas sensor is hot and activated (or it will shut down again ) then turn to the desired setting of heat required.....
    On the new motorhome as you are turning switch holding the switch down it activates the igniter and lights the oven

Mel

18. John and Cheryl

That’s interesting but our hob is some distance from the oven so I could not hold the knob in on the oven while operating the clickey switch, I know its not called that but I like that name better.
    Thanks for all your replies,:thumb: I will have fun trying all your suggestions and if they don’t work buy a gas ligter.

19. John and Cheryl

Thanks Mel but there is no electronic igniter switch near the control knob the only electronic igniter switch is on the hob and that is no where near the oven.

20. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Ours was the same the oven at /near top of one side of the Motorhome and the hob on the other side of the Motorhome a good distance away...

Also on our Smev oven there was a thin sheet steel plate at the top of the inside of the oven this needed, had to be pulled out when you did TOAST...this was to stop you closing the door on safety grounds...or so we was instructed our dealer:Eeek:

Mel