hello all

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by ianthebuilder, Oct 24, 2015.

1. ianthebuilder

ianthebuilder Funster

Hello all,,just joined site,looking forward to getting all the best advice i can ! A surprise change in circumstances (not all good)has meant changing my lifestyle completely,I dont know if my budget is realistic but im looking to buy a home for fulltiming (at least for a year or 2) My budget for a van would be 15 to 18,000,i would like a small garage to the rear,for tools etc, and having looked for weeks at dealers,ebay and other sites my head is spinning,various models,layouts prices etc, I intend to purchase beginning of december(when house is sold) and drive to spain for the winter,to evaluate my situation,any and all advice will be gratefully accepted,,,,I have done all the which is best motorhome or caravan debate and have made a decission as to it being a motorhome,but is budget realistic etc,i will have a c/o adress for insurance etc so covered there and i passed my test in the late 70s so im good for licence etc...again many thanks,,and help !!

2. Badknee

Badknee Funster

I'm sorry but the 'headache' will go on till you find your MoHo, it's a nice headache but it could take time and looking and looking is the only way.
    We set out with a set of must haves/wants 18mths ago and the van we bought and love very much is exactly the opposite to those wants/needs :LOL:
    For full timing things may be different, do you intend to spend large amounts of time 'off grid' then batteries and solar would be high on the list, big gas locker or under slung LPG tank perhaps?
    Size does matter, imagine spending two or three days cooped up in it because of weather/ illness etc. don't forget the best bit of advise we were given, make sure you have a big enough bathroom to wipe yer bum wi'out sticking yer 'ed out of 't window ;):eek:

3. ianthebuilder

ianthebuilder Funster

hahahaha yes very good point ! lolol i would like a fixed bed,not too bothered about a big lounge area because i hope to have an awning,and i dont think at the moment i would be looking to spend too much time off grid,,maybe the odd night at a service station etc,,,thanks for reply badnee, nice to meet you,,ian..

4. MikeD

MikeD Funster

Hi Ian. Welcome to the fun. (y)

5. parknride

parknride Funster

There's "off grid" and there's Aires. Save you a few £££ and not many have ehu.

Anyway welcome, hope you get through your "stuff" and manage to find and enjoy your van. Loads of help and advice on here. Good luck(y)

6. ianthebuilder

ianthebuilder Funster

thanks for replying all,im feeling good about the site,already have learnt loads,insurance probs,etc,,very helpfull,,,thanks again..

• Like Like x 1
  7. davidbaldam

davidbaldam Funster

Hi and welcome to FUN. (y)

8. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

:welc:Hello welcome to fun, I see you have used 4 posts up be aware that you are only allowed 5 free posts, the £15 sub should be well worth it to you, and probably save you that amount many times over.

9. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

To answer some points you should be able to get something within your budget, things to look at are pay load and checking out for damp. The older Hymers would be worth looking at well made, the ones with a drop down bed a good alternative to fixed bed giving you more floor space. Don't dismiss being off grid in France /Spain etc. the Aires are often excellent and useful so a good Solar Panel well worth having.
    Go in to a dealers without a salesman imagine being in the van on a wet day, will you be comfortable in it , does it work for you, wet days Spain are just as bad as wet days in the UK , so your comfort needs some consideration, good luck.

10. sleep e carr

sleep e carr

We have an LPG tank in our locker about as big as the 32 pounder that you pay a lot of money for in exchange it was a good investment at 300 fitted auto gas 2000 thirsk. takes 1. 1/2 hours then they filled it up with gas 14.00 22 ltrs I've had my money back over n over. last fill up in Germany at a garage back in august 31 cents ltr still got 1/4 tank and i;m away most w/ends cooking hot water and fire if needed as for power one solar panel 150 wats gives me plenty of power. never had a prob panel been on since spring.

11. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Hi Ian and welcome.

I think you can get a decent van on that budget.

Good luck with your search.

12. ianthebuilder

ianthebuilder Funster

subs all paid carol...easy........ chris i hope i can get a decent van for that money,i have realised im going to have to do a lot more research though,,still i have till dec,,,

13. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

Hi & welcome @ianthebuilder upload_2015-10-24_14-25-22.png

I think a useful question to throw into the mix is, are you planning to WORK from your van? (you mentioned tools .....)

14. Speve

Speve Funster

:welc:Hello Ian from an ex builder you'll get loads of help on here and you might even find a good van in the for sale section.

15. scousebird

scousebird Funster

Hello :welc:

16. Baldeagle7470

Baldeagle7470 Funster

Hi and a big welcome from :france:
    Hope you find the right van for you.
    You will find all the help you need here,good luck.

17. The Dude

The Dude Funster

welcome animated smiley.gif

18. Ambilkate

Ambilkate Funster Life Member

Hi and welcome to Fun Ian . Good luck in finding your van . There are loads of info and advice on Fun
    We will be putting our Sundance 630 G 2006 up for sale in the next few weeks it has a lovely sized garage and lots of extras but sadly it would be slightly just peover your budget . Enjoy the furum hope to meet you at a rally sometime . Regards Kate x

19. Baycott

Baycott Funster

Hi Ian and welcome.
    I hope your problems get sorted soon (y)

20. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

Hello and :welc: