Heavy duty clutch

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by barrywi, Sep 19, 2014.

1. barrywi

barrywi Read Only Funster

The clutch on my 2008 3 litre m / h works fine but in reverse it is never happy. I was just wondering if anyone makes an uprated clutch for the Peugeot / Fiat base?

2. Bartyfixedit

Bartyfixedit Funster

The problem on the Fiat is that reverse gear is ridiculously too high a ratio. I reckon reverse is probably similar to 2nd gear hence reversing up hill will always be a problem. I don't think a heavy duty clutch will make any difference. Sorry.

3. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

there is a kit about to convert the dual mass flywheel to a heavy duty clutch. however it allows more vibration and strain on the gearbox

4. barrywi

No need to apologise, not your fault. We had to reverse up the ramp onto the ferry from Hull to Rotterdam because of the way they loaded the boat and there was quite a bit of juddering. It is stupid that the gearing is so high, maybe van drivers like to go go fast in reverse. No problem here in Holland where we are on holiday because it is all flat and we have hired a small car to get around.

5. barrywi

I did not realise the Peugeot/Fiat had a dual mass flywheel. I hate them. My Peugeot 407 Diesel had one and I had to have two fitted at very low mileages. One they paid for under warranty, but I had to fight to get them to pay anything towards the second one. All happened below 30000 miles. I have had Peugeots in the past that had clutches that lasted 100000 miles even towing a caravan. Progress is over rated!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

Sounds like your van has never had the fix. Being a 3 litre it is obviously a Fiat and 2008 vans were candidates for the judder although most vans fixed were the 2.3 versions.
    As you may be aware the fix included a lower reverse gear, new clutch and engine mountings.
    Might be worth asking if it can still be done.

Mike

7. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

It's because it's Italian, always did go faster backwards, just like their tanks, 1 forward, 5 reverse. Same with their guns, fired once, dropped once :rofl:

My Ducatos the same, I only noticed when I tried to reverse up my levelling ramps once, instead or driving forwards up them. Never again if I can help it :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. barrywi

Thanks Mike I will ask at my local Peugeot garage, I bet they want money for the update though!

9. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

If it's the Fiat 3 litre then it needs to be a Fiat garage. When the fix was done the cost was around £1250 according to the garage who did our 2008 Burstner .

Mike

10. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Fiat Ducattos also have a PLASTIC Clutch Pedal! (mk2s anyway) Mine gave way in the middle of Dartmoor!

11. gloworm

gloworm Funster

Mike, a lower gear was never an option as the (cog) gear was too big to fit in the gear box, the other mods your spot on mate,

Eric

12. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

According to all the information at the time the fix included a new lower reversing gear.

Mike

13. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Clutch !.....remind me what that is !

14. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

the part on the end of the engines final drive that you can often smell burning in supermarket carparks. old farts revving their vehicle engines high and then cant find the biting point:rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  15. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Oh yes....i remember now.
    Been years since i had one though.

16. gloworm

gloworm Funster

I have the 2.3 Mike It went into fiat professional twice, 1st time it had new engine mountings, 2nd time it had new clutch, supposedly heavy duty but no lower gear, I was told that was,nt an option, and my motorhome is still rubbish when reversing.

Eric

17. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

Our 2008 Burstner was done a few months after we bought it and I'm fairly certain that the original fix included a lower reverse gear.
    There was certainly a difference after it was done and reversing was a lot better and it also sounded different.

Mike

18. gloworm

gloworm Funster

Hope you are right mike, Ive learned to live with mine, its not a problem as we dont do that much reversing, lol

Eric