Headlight Deflectors

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by BigdotDave, Aug 1, 2012.

1. BigdotDave

BigdotDave Read Only Funster

Hi all,
    Does anyone know what type and where I can source some headlight deflectors for a Fiat Ducky Maxi (07 new face)? I am somewhat disinclined to travel 20 miles and be given blank looks by a disinterested, pimply youth at a well known car and bike accessory store.:Eeek:

2. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi Dave
    You can buy them at the port shops, but a bit dear about £10.00' I just put some shaped tape on it seems to do the job, let's face it we don't usually drive at night. Peter :thumb:

3. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

4. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I just bought one pair years ago and used them as a template to make loads more out of sticky back plastic (as used on Blue Peter) :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  5. EthnGeoff

EthnGeoff Funster

6. mondo

mondo Read Only Funster

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  7. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

As posted previously

Why bother?:Eeek:

Every day thousands of Continental vehicles come off the ferries and the Chunnel into UK. Have you ever seen them using beam deflectors?

In more than 10 years living in France I kept a UK car and motorbike over there. In many routine Police stops they never ever asked or questioned my headlights with no beam deflectors.

Are you intending to spend a lot of time driving in the dark on little country roads in France?

....and if you do get some, be careful what you us as some of the adhesives can permanently damage the headlights on the "new" model Ducato, Boxer etc...

• Like Like x 1
  8. mondo

mondo Read Only Funster

I was talking to another motorhomer as we waited for the ferry at Dover for Calais...I was sticking my beam deflectors on he said why bother so I said well it saves a fine...he said well I never have done in 5/6 years of going to France...any way we came off the ferry at Calais I followed him out of the port onto the road...the French cops pulled us both docs check etc etc...they slapped him a fine for not having em fitted..Like I said to him at the time there is always a first time to get pulled...we know the foreign chappies don't bother with em but thats down to the Ministry and the police to sort..The Gendarmes are different the law is the law is the law....Mind you it was the only time I was ever stopped in France and I saved meself some cash!!!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

Most caravan and motorhome sundries shops and camping shops sell them - usually between £5 & £7.50 for 2

10. estcres

estcres Read Only Funster

I have a couple of Headlamp protector covers which I purchased several years ago at the Midsummer Show, I have attached my beam Benders onto them.

Whenever I travel in Europe I just fit the Protectors and hey presto all compliant with the Law also Headlamp glass is reasonably well protected.

11. Kay

Kay Read Only Funster

I always use insulation tape and a stanley knife waiting for the ferry. Cheap, easy, doesn't fall off and easy to remove with no damage. Not sure about the 07 headlights though but imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to work out where the beam needs covering.

12. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

I use these as well, except I just black out the marked square on each cover with tape, I also leave them on in the uk all year round (tape removed) its cheaper than a stone through the lenses

13. Gunner29

Gunner29 Read Only Funster

tape

It is illegal to use tape as a beam bender

14. Jez and Lin

Jez and Lin Funster Life Member

Amazon £ 3.95

15. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Source ???

16. bernardfeay

bernardfeay Read Only Funster

I must have done something like 100,000 miles in our two campervans. I have never had headlamp diverters fitted. I keep my lights set to the lowest possible position and in the last 7 years had probably 5 oncoming drivers flash at me.

I do keep some black tape in the drawer ready to plead forgetfulness if needed but up to now nobody has bothered to stop us.

17. Gunner29

Gunner29 Read Only Funster

Thames Valley Police Traffic Officer (My son)

18. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Got to agree......

beam benders must not impede light transmission....only deflect/re-direct it.

19. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I'm sure you're right, however the ones they flog in the channel tunnel shop are pretty well opaque, and their only function is to block out most of the light from the left hand side of the beam, they bo not deflect. Perhaps the more expensive ones do. Still we aren't too bothered about what are allowed here as we don't need them here, and people have been using tape etc in France for ages, or not bothering at all of course.:thumb:

This type are opaque, the grid pattern is just a printed pattern on the outside, it doesn't have any optical properties.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEADLAMP-...ccessories_Touring_Travel&hash=item231322de7e