LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I think we are probably going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I don't have a problem with anybody using their van how they wish.

However, personally, I prefer to spend the 10 seconds or less per headlight to remove the covers with blanking tape, for UK winter driving. As mentioned previously, the new protector fitting arrangements for the X290 are much improved compared to earlier models.

The headlight manufacturers design the lights to provide the optimum and safest illumination for either right-hand drive or left-hand drive, as required. The fact that we can conveniently stay within the law by simply adding black masking for travel on the continent is a bonus.

But it is difficult to see how this does not affect the overall performance of the lights. I haven't been able to locate the so called 'facts' as stated by the headlight protector manufacturers, but presumably they might well say that in any case - a bit like turkeys not voting for Christmas. I can appreciate the protectors on their own not being an issue, just the affect of blocking part of the beam with tape.

I understand the 'protective' benefit of keeping the covers on, but nonetheless personally choose to remove them in winter to enhance the efficacy of the lights and improve night vision. Each to their own I guess... :)
Think you'd be better just getting the little black thingys
$_1.JPG

However, albeit you are obliged to by law (whether enforced or not) in Europe, won't that affect the illumination because it's deflecting from UK standard headlights?
I do totally understand your argument but why would you put on deflection for European countries especially as you're driving on the other side?
Basically, what's the difference?
If you won't drive here with deflector on then why would you drive abroad with them on?
Your argument (if there is one) is with all the countries that apply the law because of the side of the road they drive on not with people who abide by the different county's laws.
If you want to put them on, do so. If you don't want to, then don't. It certainly doesn't bother me one way or another but I appreciate you can have your own opinions but you can't have your own facts. So, by all means agree or not but don't influence people who may consider that you have facts on your side.
Depending on your Moho, some are adjustable so deflectors are not needed.
As I say, it's a suggestion that I made, not the commencement of an argument. I just said that's what I do and have done with this vehicle for 10 years and passed it's MOT for 9 years and analogies about other parts of the vehicle are superfluous as in your suggestion about tyres.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Think you'd be better just getting the little black thingys
View attachment 154963

If you won't drive here with deflector on then why would you drive abroad with them on?
To remain within the law on the continent. I use headlight protectors with masking tape.

When abroad in summer I'm reasonably unlikely to drive in the dark, because of the longer daylight hours.

However, I am confident I remain legal in case of unscheduled nightime driving abroad.

Not the same as dark evenings in the UK.

Just to add, this discussion has reminded me that we are now in BST and the nights are drawing out, so it's time to fit the headlight protectors! ;)

And they can stay on until the end of October...

Last edited:

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
To remain within the law on the continent. I use headlight protectors with masking tape.

When abroad in summer I'm reasonably unlikely to drive in the dark, because of the longer daylight hours.

However, I am confident I remain legal in case of unscheduled nightime driving abroad.

Not the same as dark evenings in the UK.

Just to add, this discussion has reminded me that we are now in BST and the nights are drawing out, so it's time to fit the headlight protectors! ;)

And they can stay on until the end of October...
Can I ask you why you're fitting headlight protectors anyway? Is there something specific about BST that makes it essential for fitting headlight protectors?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Can I ask you why you're fitting headlight protectors anyway? Is there something specific about BST that makes it essential for fitting headlight protectors?
They have a dual function - protecting the headlights from stone damage and meeting legal requirements for driving on the continent, but at the cost of compromise on light output. Simples really...

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
They have a dual function - protecting the headlights from stone damage and meeting legal requirements for driving on the continent, but at the cost of compromise on light output. Simples really...
Well I know the dual/multi function but if you've got headlight protectors, why take them off?
If there is (and certainly others disagree) any discernable light emitting difference tgen surely that would be the same in any country and wouldn't it be better to have more light on roads you are unfamiliar with and also driving on t'other side. That's the time I'd want more light.
There is no cost on compromising for light. The....no it doesn't matter

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
On the opposite end of the question...

Anybody seen any LHD deflectors on sale? Never put them on any of our LHD drive cars when travelling in the UK and in a few weeks we'll coming back to the UK in the MH. I just reduce the beam height and carry on..
I used to sell LHD Eurolites at a nice premium, they are identical to RHD ones just the instructions for fitting that are different.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I am going to France in a week so I need to change my Hymer headlamps to flat top beams, not that I will be driving at night though if possible.
How is it done, a lever or something attached to the dip beam light but I cannot see how or what it actually is , anyone got a clue or shall I just put deflectors on it?
Remove the rubber cover on the back of the dip unit and you will find a small lever to the side of the lamp, move it to change to flat dipping.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Remove the rubber cover on the back of the dip unit and you will find a small lever to the side of the lamp, move it to change to flat dipping.
I tried looking up there but could quite get the head that high on the left. Forget the right with the adblue tank taking all the space up, it is a matter of torch/mirror and groping.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I used to sell LHD Eurolites at a nice premium, they are identical to RHD ones just the instructions for fitting that are different.
And did anyone ever show a modicum of concern about the possibility of a drop in the quantity or quality of light by fitting? :whistle:

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Ah right, I understand now! How silly of me. Of course there's absolutely no chance of headlight damage between October and March each year. The only time a headlight gets damaged is from March to October. Silly me! Should have known that point.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Most modern headlights are plastic so are unlikely to get dammaged anyway the deflectors are to change the beam characteristics by cutting out some of the light if you look at the area they are fixed over they cut out light dont deflect it, As for saying why would you cut out light on unfamiliar roads why not drive on full beam all the time......its for the same reason where the beam kicks up to give a better view of the curb on our roads is in other drivers eyes on the other side of the road.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I tried looking up there but could quite get the head that high on the left. Forget the right with the adblue tank taking all the space up, it is a matter of torch/mirror and groping.
Once the rubber is off my Fiat based 2015 model Hymer A class has two levers for each light (one each side) that you slide down. Very fiddly and you can only do it all by feel because you can't get your head in to look. Eventually did it after half an hour groping in the dark (like being a teenager again).

I have left them on flat beam now.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A UK RHD vehicle's lights should 'kick up' to the left to illuminate the nearside of the road, ie to show where the edge of the road is, hazards (pedestrians) etc, there's no 'kick-up' on the right as it would dazzle oncoming traffic. When using a RHD vehicle a country that drives on the right if we don't fit deflector patches (or adjust) and use our headlights we could cause dazzle to oncoming traffic which is not permitted. Same reason why IMV any LHD vehicle being used in the UK should have them fitted to stop the 'kick-up' on the right dazzling UK drivers, whether this is required or not I don't know as I've never needed to find out.

If you think you don't need them abroad on your RHD vehicle ask yourself ... would you be happy if you were driving along and got dazzled by a LHD vehicle who couldn't be bothered? We all know what it's like to be dazzled by those who forget to lower their high beam I'm sure, so I can't quite understand why anyone would willingly do this to others purely due to 'laziness' (that's MY view anyway!).

I bought the second hand headlight protectors that were on the forum recently to give our headlights some protection (cheaper than buying a new light!) and as a bonus they had the protectors already applied! (y)

OP
OP
motorhomewave
Jul 17, 2009
Funster No
It's a bit like "Pin the Tail on the Donkey" can someone put a cross on the area I need to place the sticker on, (this is the NS headlamp)IMG_0865.JPG

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
In that case just drop the headlamp out it will be a lot quicker & easier.
I didn't have that problem on both the Exsis & the DL access is very easy.

And did anyone ever show a modicum of concern about the possibility of a drop in the quantity or quality of light by fitting? :whistle:
Judging by the names of the people I was posting to I doubt if the Poles & Romanians cared.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
You really do not want to leave beam converters on plastic headlamps for more than a few weeks. they are designed for short term use, if you leave them on the adhesive migrates into the plastic as makes them almost impossible to remove without damage to the lamp.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Ah right, I understand now! How silly of me. Of course there's absolutely no chance of headlight damage between October and March each year. The only time a headlight gets damaged is from March to October. Silly me! Should have known that point.
Speaking personally:

Summer = little if any driving in darkness

Winter = driving in darkness

Safety of other road users - especially pedestrians and cyclists - takes significantly higher personal priority for me than worrying about stone damage to my headlights.

Putting black tape on headlights reduces their performance, compared to the manufacturers specification.

Consequently, I choose not to use compromised headlights in the winter.

And reference the MOT, Geo has made it clear the test does not specify or assess the light output. In fact he said, "they have to be quite dire to fail on insufficient light".

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
It's a bit like "Pin the Tail on the Donkey" can someone put a cross on the area I need to place the sticker on, (this is the NS headlamp)View attachment 155103
I have heard of folk buying a simple template on ebay, but I haven't found them for sale.

The protectors from Van Comfort are clearly marked where to apply the tape, and it is a pretty unusual pattern. Might be a case of shelling out £52 to get it right, and the bonus is you have protectors that take seconds to fit or remove - they just clip on while the bonnet is lifted. And no need to stick tape directly on your headlight lenses.

http://www.vancomfort.co.uk/headlampdeflectorspage_000.htm

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Found them, What a farting little bit of bent metal it is, I groped right down the side and felt something that moved, it was what I needed. I can go to France now without worrying about dazzling anybody although I do not intend to drive at night anyway,I want to see where I am. Live and learn but easier to ask other that have already been there before you. Learn more every day.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Speaking personally:

Summer = little if any driving in darkness

Winter = driving in darkness

Safety of other road users - especially pedestrians and cyclists - takes significantly higher personal priority for me than worrying about stone damage to my headlights.

Putting black tape on headlights reduces their performance, compared to the manufacturers specification.

Consequently, I choose not to use compromised headlights in the winter.

And reference the MOT, Geo has made it clear the test does not specify or assess the light output. In fact he said, "they have to be quite dire to fail on insufficient light".
I'm not sure if you are aware or that you even gave my replies even a cursory glance but in case that is the situation, let me say, quite categorically, that I ALREADY have headlight protectors and I've had them in situ for 10 years for the reasons of what they are. Headlight Protectors. Now, the reason I keep them on permanently is so that my headlights are protected from a variety of unknown objects that may damage the headlight. So that means, that except for cleaning, then they are on permanently as in all the time.
The second reason is, I do a lot of driving at night, mainly in this country and I drive a variety of vehicles from a Smart Car (SWMBO's), the Moho, vans up to 3.5 kg. Goods vehicles up to HGV Class 1 (LGV) and coaches (PCV). I drive both here and on the continent and some have suffered headlight damage and that means stopping and obtaining a replacement which is not always easy as I'm sure you'll appreciate.
I'm basing my purchase 10 years ago on the result of my experiences both here and on the continent.
Also in my experience is that there is absolutely no discernable difference with or without headlight protectors on or a small area blanked to alter the beam so that it doesn't shine into the path of on coming drivers (on the continent) certainly to the average persons naked eye. However if, and that's a massive if, someone could tell there was a smidgen difference, then it shouldn't bother them if their eyesight is that good, they probably wouldn't need lights at all at night.
So, just in case, I extolled the virtues of headlight protectors early on in this thread and I also advocate their use all year round as protection for an expensive headlight. Irrespective whether anyone decides to put a small square in the right place to comply with European Law, bothers me not one iota.
Strangely, looking through your replies, at one stage your saying that your fitting them because it's BST(needn't say why) and in other replies you saying you'll have to get some.
If you want them, buy them, if not don't. Simples!!!!!

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
We travel day and night in the UK and by keeping them in place doesn't affect any light. Tbf, the light deflection was a bonus as the headlight protection was more important and there is absolutely no detrimental affect to the quantity or quality of light when in UK

These are statements you have made in this thread, the first one being the reason for my query

...there is absolutely no detrimental affect to the quantity or quality of light when in UK

I believe this to be false and inaccurate

If there was ANY detrimental affect whatsoever, it would not pass the UK MOT which it does.

I believe Geo, a highly experienced and professional MOT tester, has stated otherwise

I would have thought that if there was any lack of output by the lights then it would fail the MOT.

Geo has stated otherwise

I'm only saying the facts as the manufacturers of the headlight protectors state.

I have not seen the evidence that protector manufacturers state adding black masking tape has 'absolutely no detrimental affect to the quantity or quality of light when in the UK' (to use your words).

I appreciate you can have your own opinions but you can't have your own facts.

As far as I'm concerned, the fact is, putting masking tape on headlights does alter their performance and reduces their effectiveness to some degree, by cutting out part of the designed light beam. It is a choice you may be prepared to take, but on balance, I prefer the safer option and not to unnecessarily take the risk .

In an ideal world all vehicles would be designed and constructed with lights that can be switched from right to left-hand drive and visa-versa, but regrettably they are not - only some, presumably on the grounds of cost. So the black masking tape approach is the next best - and least worst - solution for me - given the circumstances I've described in previous posts in this thread.

I do not see black tape as a 'deflector', rather as a 'light restricter'. I believe deflectors are available for some vehicles, but I have not seen ones suitable for my type of headlights, unfortunately.

In summary, I prefer not to drive in the dark with my lights unnecessarily compromised. Hence - for the avoidance of doubt - I remove the protectors, complete with black masking tape, for winter driving in the UK.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
These are statements you have made in this thread, the first one being the reason for my query

...there is absolutely no detrimental affect to the quantity or quality of light when in UK

I believe this to be false and inaccurate

If there was ANY detrimental affect whatsoever, it would not pass the UK MOT which it does.

I believe Geo, a highly experienced and professional MOT tester, has stated otherwise

I would have thought that if there was any lack of output by the lights then it would fail the MOT.

Geo has stated otherwise

I'm only saying the facts as the manufacturers of the headlight protectors state.

I have not seen the evidence that protector manufacturers state adding black masking tape has 'absolutely no detrimental affect to the quantity or quality of light when in the UK' (to use your words).

I appreciate you can have your own opinions but you can't have your own facts.

As far as I'm concerned, the fact is, putting masking tape on headlights does alter their performance and reduces their effectiveness to some degree, by cutting out part of the designed light beam. It is a choice you may be prepared to take, but on balance, I prefer the safer option and not to unnecessarily take the risk .

In an ideal world all vehicles would be designed and constructed with lights that can be switched from right to left-hand drive and visa-versa, but regrettably they are not - only some, presumably on the grounds of cost. So the black masking tape approach is the next best - and least worst - solution for me - given the circumstances I've described in previous posts in this thread.

I do not see black tape as a 'deflector', rather as a 'light restricter'. I believe deflectors are available for some vehicles, but I have not seen ones suitable for my type of headlights, unfortunately.

In summary, I prefer not to drive in the dark with my lights unnecessarily compromised. Hence - for the avoidance of doubt - I remove the protectors, complete with black masking tape, for winter driving in the UK.
I got fed up of reading it because you obviously haven't read my replies as as you state, any detrimental affect and it would fail the UK MOT. Well, I've had my headlight protectors on for 10 years, that's a full decade or in other words since 2007. My Moho has passed it's UK MOT for the last 9 years consequently. It's only had 9 MOT'S and it's passed every one WITH the headlight protectors AND the black square in place. Now, as regards the comment, (and this is where you fail completely) you can have your own opinions etc, is exactly the comment I sent to you a couple of days ago.
Personally, I think you just want an argument. Well that ain't happening.
I really couldn't care less what you think because you obviously don't know and just picking up your ideas to make arguments that have no basis because you do not know any better.
Reply if you want but I won't. I don't know that much but I'm certainly streets ahead of you because I don't STEAL other people's comments and pass them back as though you thought of it. Bye bye, whoever you are

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I do not see black tape as a 'deflector', rather as a 'light restricter'
See. Your opinion again. The tape is there NOT to restrict light but to stop a vehicle blinding oncoming drivers which would happen without deflectors
The clue is in the name
Deflector
If it was your way (again without basis) everybody would be illegal which you think they are
images (37).jpg

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Which you've yet to get.
images.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back