Heading to Devon

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Simon, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Simon

Simon Read Only Funster

Next year we'll be orf to Devon in July. Probably the south as we've not been there, so I'm after some suggestions for the very spiffingest sites to take the bus to.

Things we like... walks in lovely places (we've got two Yorkies that insist on coming with us everywhere so museums are out), forests, coasts, interesting towns and architecture, dog-friendly places, pasty and cider shops, peace and quiet (as much as possible anyway), showers/loos and elictrickery.

Any suggestions please?

2. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

We stayed at the Caravan Club site Hillhead near Brixham in September.

It's a lovely site with sea views, a 10 minute drive to Brixham or a short ferry ride across to Dartmouth which gives you access to several towns and beaches within 20 miles.

Although it's quite a large site, it's partitioned off with hedges so feels quite cosy. There is a bar/restaurant/shop if you don't want to drive.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Simon

Simon Read Only Funster

Thanks, Janine, it's got some great reviews! I've added it to my Googly maps places for future reference.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ron & Gerri

Ron & Gerri Funster

We go to Cofton Country Holidays a lot (well we did with the 'van, haven't been with the MoHo yet!). It is really lovely, dog friendly, has fishing lakes, indoor and outdoor pools, entertainment if you want it (we don't bother usually) and good food. Locally you can walk to the Exmouth Ferry, or across to Dawlish Warren's nature reserve. You can get a bus outside the gate of the site into Dawlish which is very quaint, and where you can get regular cheap trains into Torbay or Exeter. Plenty to do and if you book early they give you an excellent discount!
    Here's a link.... http://www.coftonholidays.co.uk/

• Like Like x 3
  5. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

http://www.thegooddogguide.com/devon/dog-friendly-beaches
    This site gives you fairly good info on beaches for dogs--only certain ones they're allowed on in the summer :(
    I've also stayed at Cofton, in the winter, not sure what it'd be like height of summer season, probably too many children for my liking!
    Pool was nice and there is a large dog field that leads into woodland.

• Like Like x 1
  6. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

The CC site at Totnes is very civilised although there is only one long walk - downstream along the Dart.

Their site at Torcross is very popular and the beach is dog friendly unlike most beaches in south Devon which ban dogs in the summer.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DiggerJon

DiggerJon Funster

The Steamer Quay CC site in Totnes is a short walk from the town; it's only disadvantage is that there is no EHU and all pitches are grass.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gooney

Gooney Funster

I'm actually in Devon right now, not MH'ing but in a rented cottage near Salcombe, lovely area but as always, look out for the very narrow roads?(lanes)

• Like Like x 1
  9. carolyn

carolyn Funster

Cofton and Woodlands are in the AcSi book if its early July. No pool at Woodlands but the shower block was fantasic.

• Like Like x 1
  10. StefAndDi

StefAndDi

Simon, I have to agree with those who have suggested Steamer Quay at Totnes. There is so much to see and do and there is no need to have your own transport. Totnes town centre is a 5 minute stroll away. Buses run frequently from Totnes to all other South Devon towns and attractions. You can take a trip on the South Devon Railway steam train which operates between Totnes and Buckfastleigh. And my top tip is to do the 'Round Robin' - boat trip from the quay 200 yards from the site (on the Kingswear Castle paddle steamer if you are lucky) to Dartmouth, then ferry over the river to Kingswear, steam train to Paignton and open-top bus back to Steamer Quay. It's a brilliant way to spend a whole day.
    As far as the site is concerned, as stated no EHU and the toilet block is rather dated because the CC lease the site from the local council.
    Stef.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tincataylor

Tincataylor Funster

Another vote for the "Round Robin" from Totnes, we are locals and yet we always find time to do this trip once a year. You will love Totnes as it is a truly quirky town with a very interesting history regarding its relationship with nearby Dartington College founded by the Elmhurst family. There is a lovely circular walk that takes you up the river and through the college where you can stop off at the White Hart pub for lunch before heading down through the estate to wards the Dartington Glass works where you can have a cuppa before the return leg to Totnes. On the high street there is a pub / bistro called Rumours which serves excellent food and beer. During the day the best entertainment is watching the aged Hippies that populate the place; all very far out man! If all that isn't enough then fire up the van for a day and explore Dartmoor, stay away from the tacky tourist traps, and you will find superb walking for you and the dogs.

The Tinca's

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

We too were at Hillhead, but it was foggy all the time so no sea view for us. Bus stop outside the gate for Brixham or Dartmouth and from Paignton you can get the olde worlde bus to Cockiington. I wouldn't want to take the bus route into Brixham with the van, it was a bit hairy.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Janine

We got there on the Friday and didn't realise there were sea views until the Sunday because of the sea fog! Blue skies and stunning sunsets for the rest of the week though :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

2 "i's" in Cockington?

Anyway you can't miss Hillhead, it's on Slappers Hill. :Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Easyliving

Easyliving Funster

I recommend Woodlands Grove campsite between Totnes and Dartmouth. They have a 5 night deal for only £49 outside the school holidays. For this you not only get top notch showers etc but also free access to the large theme park next door.

There is a bus stop at the site entrance where you can get a bus to Totnes or Dartmouth, no narrow lanes to worry about either.

Paul

• Like Like x 2
  16. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Narrow LANES??? NARROW LANES???:swear2:

Where? Here in the South West??? :party2:

Some ov 'em are 2.4mtres wide! Veritable Motorways!:rofl::rofl:

Toughen up Funsters!:whistle2:

• Like Like x 3
  17. Simon

Simon Read Only Funster

Thanks everybody. I think I've decided on Totnes as it always pops up on all sorts of sites as the place to visit in Devon anyway.
    Looking forward to it now :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Simon

Simon Read Only Funster

Just an addendum: we've been to north Devon once, many years ago, and visited Barnstaple, Bideford, Ilfracombe, Combe Martin etc. and I wondered whether people generally favour the north or the south?

19. Janine

It's lovely. We went for the day and found there was a food festival on plus great street entertainers - musicians and Morris dancers.

Such a happy little town :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Debs

Debs Funster

We've only done south devon and loved it, especially Totnes although we've not stayed there (tis on the list though).

Did you manage to get sorted for Holmsley btw?