Have you got a fire extinguisher!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by scammellmanswife, Feb 2, 2013.

1. scammellmanswife

scammellmanswife

I have recently been getting quotes for my campervan and was asked by one company if it had a fire extinguisher to which i replied "of course" :Wink: I expect you lucky people with shiney new vans will all have the said item but i was wondering if mabe some of the more 'mature' vans like mine may be without one and therefore could be jeapodising there insurance policy without realising it. :Doh: I do have a fire blanket so could make a feeble attempt to put a fire out but would probably just take the easy option and run like hell:Rofl1:

2. pudseykeith

pudseykeith Read Only Funster

Hi Hillary
    Fire extinguishers are concidered to be one of the accencial bits of kit in any MH or caravan and be kept handy. I had 2 suitable ones sent from a company in Mirfield in the huddersfield area West Yorkshire. There fone No is 07973971258. What ever you do, carry a fire extinguisher. I carry a co2 and a dry pouder extinguishers. a dry pouder can be very messy in use, a co2 very clean and quick. Its accecial that you read up data on there indivigual uses.
    Be safe,, Pudseykeith

• Like Like x 3
  3. Trikimiki

Trikimiki Read Only Funster

Have never had a Motorhome on fire, loads of cars, and several caravans. Your insurance may require you to have one, it does not say you have to use it. My personal advice would be know where it is to point it out to the insurance man, Caravans go so quickly its scary. Get out, STAY OUT, get the fire brigade out.
    A fire blanket is only of use for smothering fire i.e. chip pans, if you are mad enough to have a chip pan in a motorhome, good on you, buy 2.
    The other thing being if gas bottles get involved in fire,,,,,,,,,,,run like hell, there is nothing you can do to rectify the situation from that point on, get at least 100 yards away.

• Like Like x 5
  4. scammellmanswife

scammellmanswife

Thanks for that:thumb: I knew there was two different types but was not sure if both were required and if so what the powder one is for. Electric faults ?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Those of us who have been stupid enough to buy a brand new van know full well that it includes nothing... I mean absolutely nothing at all. No gas cylinder, no hookup lead, not even a regulator.
    It wouldn't have been until we figured out the basics or the van caught fire that we realised that they bloody salesman didn't include a fire extinguisher...

Sorry, bit of a rant there. Sales people are there to extract the stuff you worked hard for from your pocket... Don't expect logic or common decency to play any part in the process.

You will need to be a bit hard nosed when you want to buy one of these things...

The fire blancket, extinguisher, CO2 alarm, bucket of sand and every other safety precaution were all bought after market. My insurance company has never asked me for details of any of these AND i recored their calls :Rofl1::Rofl1:

6. scammellmanswife

scammellmanswife

Wow that has amazed me I would have thought in these health and safety mad times the manufacturers would at the very least have provided a fire extinguisher !!.

7. pudseykeith

pudseykeith Read Only Funster

Yes dry powder is safe on mains [220 volt]. CO2 is ok for the rest. But always be familier with there use.
    Pudseykeith

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Just remember dry powder will clump and solidify due to the vibration of your driving..... After a short (ish) period of time a dry powder extinguisher will be useless.

Maintenance and suitability is everything with a fire extinguisher..

9. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

i have an extinguisher in each of my vehicles. they dont have to cost a fortune, and a small one can be picked up for under £10. Aldi & Lidl often have them in for about £7 or look on Ebay or Argos. Just avoid buying at a motorhome/caravan accessory shop, as they inflate the prices for the same items

10. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

I couldn't have put it any better myself Trikimiki. :thumb:

Yes, you would think so, however in the UK at least, dealers are required by law now, to ensure that a smoke alarm is fitted to any new or used Caravan or MH they sell. The buyer needs to make sure that there is a serviceable battery installed, and that it works by testing it regularly. :Smile: That's more of a life saver than any Fire Fighting appliance, big or small., and as Trikimiki advises above, "GET OUT, STAY OUT, and GET THE FIRE SERVICE OUT.

Stay safe, :Smile:

Jock.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

I have a fire extinguisher but..............

The police, as far as I know, haven't carried fire extinguishers in their vehicles for quite some years.

If they arrive at a fire they call the fire brigade.

Health and Safety ? Jobsworth ? or common sense ?

If you don't know what's in the extinguisher or how to use it you might make matters worse.............

Me - if a person was at risk I would try and help - using the extinguisher if necessary - otherwise leg it and call the fire brigade

12. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

There were two extinguishers in our (second hand) vane when we bought it a year ago. When we had our habitation service a couple of weeks ago the engineer pointed out that one was still in date but he couldn't find a date on the other so advised changing it.

As Big1 says, Lidl & Aldi often have them. Indeed it is a Current Offer at Lidl at the moment. I bought one on Thursday and will put it in the van in the next day or two.

I would also echo Trikimiki and Jock though, "GET OUT, STAY OUT, and GET THE FIRE SERVICE OUT.

13. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

In answer to the OP yes, I have two in the motorhome. A 2KG dry powder that lives on the driver's door step and a 2 litre AFFF foam just inside the sliding door on the passenger's side B post and I know how to use them both. There is also a fire blanket in the kitchen area. The dry powder is for engine bay fires, either mine or someone elses. The foam job is for fires inside the motorhome as we rarely use Hookup so electrics aren't a worry but it cleans up easier than dry powder. CO2 is ok but you have to get quite close to the seat of the fire to use it effectively whereas AFFF has about 1.5 metres range.

D.

14. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

We dont even have a chip pan in the house because of the stench , they leave on your soft furnishings , clothes and hair let alone the motorhome .
    Oven chips :Sad: , or proper chips in the deepfat fryer in the garage:Smile:.

We do have a blanket and an extinguisher carbon, monoxide detector and first aid kit .

Though as all health and safety buffs know , an extinguisher should only be used to escape a blaze. Not to try and tackle one . :RollEyes:

15. teddybard

teddybard Read Only Funster

Originally Posted by scammellmanswife [​IMG]
    Thanks for that:thumb: I knew there was two different types but was not sure if both were required and if so what the powder one is for. Electric faults ?
    Yes dry powder is safe on mains [220 volt]. CO2 is ok for the rest. But always be familiar with there use.
    Pudseykeith

We do have a blanket and an extinguisher carbon, monoxide detector and first aid kit .

[HI]Though as all health and safety buffs know , an extinguisher should only be used to escape a blaze. Not to try and tackle one[/HI] . :RollEyes:[/QUOTE]

A Modern dry powder Extinguisher will not pack down in use as the older types used to due to its construction as the powder is stored under pressure
    however even then the gauges can read incorrectly. so make sure they are checked at least once a year.priority should go to
    1 Having a smoke detector and Carbon Monoxide Detector
    2. Getting out before anything else.
    3. Both AFFF & ABC Dry Powder (Multi-Purpose) extinguishers will do a reasonable job but really in my belief a CO2 extinguisher has VERY LIMITED
    usefulness.

16. Trikimiki

Trikimiki Read Only Funster

Fire Extinguishers

Just so everyone is happy and content with the extinguishers they have.

Powder

Can be used on just about anything, but really built for oil or fuel type fires, can be used on electricity.

Drawbacks.
    In use is very very messy, vision is impaired, and gets into respiratory tract and can be uncomfortable. Imagine taking 2 pounds of baking powder and throwing it into the air, that is exactly what you are doing with powder extinguishers.

CO2

Built for running oil fires, and electricity, almost useless on anything solid as it has little cooling effect and is built to smother fire, that is to say keep air from what is burning so it goes out.

Drawbacks

Very noisy in operation.
    Discharge horn gets very cold, manufacturers claim will not cold burn hands, I always had gloves on but they have stuck at times.
    Vision gets impaired as it discharges as a white fog
    in windy conditions blows away very quickly and fuel will re ignite.

Advice

Whilst these extinguishers are safe for you on electricity, they do give the electricity a fright, and there will be, perhaps, some bangs and fizzes as the agent hits the equipment. Best advice on motorhome is pull EHU out before attempting to put out electrical fires.

Only use 1 extinguisher on any fire, if fire is still growing after that, leave.
    Never let fire get between you and the exit.

Test smoke detector weekly, when it starts bleeping for low battery, replace battery immediately, leave cover open as a visual reminder need to replace.

After all that lets try and make sure it never happens, have good weather this year, and happy days.

• Like Like x 5
  17. alfandM

alfandM Funster

Hi All, have read the interesting post's and good advice given by most, one thing i would like to add to this topic, its great to have fire extinguisher, but inspect it regular and most important, ALL the family knows how to use it,if unsure pop in to your nearest fire station and ask the personnel on duty, to show you and how to tackle a small blaze before it gets out of hand, 1st and last keep every one safe,Alf.

• Like Like x 1
  18. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

surprisingly, as i recall, this is a legal obligation in France.

if you happen on an accident and no other help is on hand you MUST stop and help.....using your own extinguisher if necessary.

19. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Oi mine had fire extingiusher fitted from new....one in the cab, one in the Garage:Eek!:...maybe mine has a bigger risk of catching fire:Doh::Wink::Wink::Rofl1::Rofl1::secret: do you think they are trying to tell me something...Mmmmm

Mel

• Like Like x 1
  20. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Dont think because you have a 1kg extinguisher on board it,s going to be enough.
    1kg is barely big enough to put out a decent engine fire.

nothing like getting the fire under control then running out of powder/CO/foam etc :Doh:
    2kg or bigger and more than one to be safe.