Have you been turned away ! Not nice (4 Viewers)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I hadn't read the posts for a while until today and am appalled how abusive some people are to Briarose. Please don't let them crush your confidence in motor homing alone as it was obviously a hobby that you and you beloved husband enjoyed. We do use sites in Norfolk but that is one we will not use ever because of rules.

Camping Parc Verger

Free Member
Jul 3, 2015
New Owners Of Parc Verger From 1st July 2015
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
over 25 years
Hi I have just picked up this thread and think it is absolutely disgusting that any site even though they have rules would not take each guest by their merits.

Here at Parc Verger we have no such policy and have had a lot of single guests both Male and Female arrive and have a most enjoyable stay. In fact only a few weeks ago we had a situation with a lady funster who was visiting France and was on another site and had a problem with her fridge setting off the gas alarm. We have the pleasure of having "Munchie" residing here and also had "army 2 wheels" here and through the forum we insisted that she call here and Munchie and army 2 wheels would have a look at it for her.

When she arrived she was tired due to not sleeping due to the worry of the leaking fridge and was upset with relief of arriving to the assurance and help form the others.

Needless to say we all made her feel welcome and shared a drink or meal with her during her stay.

I can understand some rules to protect against rowdy groups of single people but some consideration must be made.

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
So the t&c's don't apply to you

The T&C's here certainly apply to you. Argue your case without being personal or not at all thanks.

Rule 1 Be Nice.
This is a civilised place for public discussion. Help us make this a great place for conversation by always working to improve the discussion in some way, however small. If you are not sure if your post will add to the conversation, think hard before posting. Be agreeable, even when you disagree. We do not allow personal attacks of any kind. Offensive, insulting, profane or vulgar remarks are not allowed. As is telling others to "Get a life" or that they or their comments are "stupid" "Crap" or "Bullshit" As soon as a discussion gets even a tiny bit personal it can go downhill fast. So don't get personal "You Would Say That" or "Only an idiot would do that" makes it personal. Don't do it, it ruins the fun atmosphere for everyone.

If someone rubs you up the wrong way then your reply should address the post, rather than the poster or their tone. DO NOT question the intelligence or parenthood of the poster; or make personal comments of ANY kind. Instead, provide reasoned counter-arguments that improve the conversation.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
I can only say anyone who has not been to a meet and enjoyed the pleasure of meeting so many Funsters,please don,t let this thread put you off joining or meets.:pray::Eeek:.

It is what the name says Motorhome Funsters,informative,helpful knowledgeable,and enjoying ourselves. Occasionally odd remarks are made,it would be nice if the funster who made them apologised,but life's to short to worry about that,let's just enjoy this forum.:cheers:

OP
OP
Briarose

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
I hadn't read the posts for a while until today and am appalled how abusive some people are to Briarose. Please don't let them crush your confidence in motor homing alone as it was obviously a hobby that you and you beloved husband enjoyed. We do use sites in Norfolk but that is one we will not use ever because of rules.
Appreciate your post...Thankyou x

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
A relative newbie...ex caravanner
A sad state of affairs indeed. I only swapped my caravan for a motorhome recently, but in the many years prior I have often been away on my own (avec dog) and have never come across this. Certainly not on CC or C&CC sites plus quite a few privately owned sites. It should be clearly stipulated when you book whether or not you are welcome as a single person, or have a dog or whatever. Discovering that you are going to be turned away is completely unacceptable...never mind the so called t&c's. Maybe a post to some of the motorhome mags would be in order too? If nothing else it gives the heads up to others who, like myself would otherwise be unaware of this. Good luck!

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
I find some of the comments on this thread very harsh & personal. Cut this lady some slack, what I take from this post is this lady lost her husband of 40 years (which I dread to think of, 40 years for us next year) then has the balls to decide life goes on, buys another MH has the guts to go out & drive it, then booked a site by phone & cant see T&Cs then be told you cant stay, I feel its a bit of a kick in the teeth from the site & on here, wind your necks in please :whistle:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I find some of the comments on this thread very harsh & personal. Cut this lady some slack, what I take from this post is this lady lost her husband of 40 years (which I dread to think of, 40 years for us next year) then has the balls to decide life goes on, buys another MH has the guts to go out & drive it, then booked a site by phone & cant see T&Cs then be told you cant stay, I feel its a bit of a kick in the teeth from the site & on here, wind your necks in please :whistle:
A top post in my book. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I'll speak for myself here..
I agree with all you said ..
And I sympathise with @Briarose ... not a good experience at all.

It's the rest of it (not necessarily by the op) regarding solos being picked on and the discrimination that I don't agree with.

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
I have read the whole post and sympathise with the OP
but this problem goes on everywhere , including here on FUN
I was not able to go to a rally ' northern soul weekend' because it was ADULTS only and I wanted to bring non adults, i.e. children
This was stated on the poster
@xxx supported this adult only policy, so is hardly in a position to 'write to Searles and protest' as was suggested
@xxxxxxx didn't like me stating my disappointment, but disappointed I was
[names removed]

but these people take the time to organise these things , they have to have the last say, its their shout.
You then choose

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I have read the whole post and sympathise with the OP
but this problem goes on everywhere , including here on FUN
I was not able to go to a rally ' northern soul weekend' because it was ADULTS only and I wanted to bring non adults, i.e. children
This was stated on the poster
@xxx supported this adult only policy,
Nowhere near the same circumstances is it!

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Has this really been going on for 18 pages!!
The forum has managed again to high jack the original post. Should Searles justify their rules - perhaps not. Do we need them to? Again perhaps not. It is one of their rules and that is that. Are 57 yr old widows more of a threat? Who cares the point of this op was should anyone; 57 male / female / 30 yr old male or female have arrived without the knowledge of the rules. No, but that is often the case of not reading t&c, but should all these letters asking for Searles to justify themselves, be better used by asking them to make it policy that the phone bookings person ask the one question that could have sorted this out so easily so that other are not put in this embarrassing positio of being turned away. - How many in your party as we do not allow solo travellers.
However this too could lead to abuse as often; as happens in this case as well people would lie. I am being joined later. If you don't like someone's point of view, don't respond as often others will never be brought around to that point of view and all you get is a back and forth no but yes but. I see that but. If you cannot agree with so what don't make it personal. I believe forum rule 1 has been broken so many time on this thread and so many more. If you ask for - what do you think? Expect some opposition but don't then try to justify your point of view. You asked and they answered.
There is one members sig block that state how brave meek men are behind a computer. I am sure many would not speak the way they do face to face. But that is also the snag with forums. You can always take things out of context.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
So the t&c's don't apply to you if you book the same day? They really do and just like any other situation you should have read them, you are playing the tradgey card, read the first line of your first post, I say this because I've been there and I think it's time you left this alone and moved on, best wishes

I think you are totally out of order Mark, even if it is just your opinion.

Regards,

Jock. :(

Sorry @markh I fully agree with @JockandRita on this, in fact in my opinion what you said is quite cruel and uncalled for! You of course are as entitled to voice your opinion as I am or indeed any other forum member is however surely not with the result (intended or not) of hurting anyone - in particular a lady going through what @Briarose is! ;)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
So the t&c's don't apply to you if you book the same day? They really do and just like any other situation you should have read them, you are playing the tradgey card, read the first line of your first post, I say this because I've been there and I think it's time you left this alone and moved on, best wishes
How rude!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Actually yes I would, since you got to stay there anyway and weren't in fact refused, what are you making such a fuss about? Just don't go back
Mark, may I suggest that you re-read your posts before submitting them ... it may well be that you are a lovely bloke but your postings come across as flippant ... if you'd read the whole of the thread you'd see that she WAS refused, it was ONLY because her friend told a 'lie' that she was able to stay.

Regardless of personal situations, the fact that she was NOT told of the rule when a booking was taken over the phone for her and her friends in 2 separate units on the same day they were going is what caused the problem - had they been told of the solo rule they wouldn't have gone there. Saying she should have read the T&Cs is a joke really because not everyone has internet access, especially when already out in their MHs! If a booking is made for a week hence then there's time to read them, but as the site staff knew they were going that day it should have been obvious that they would NOT have the opportunity to read them online and they should have been advised of the rules, not just the solo one. That's the crux of the matter ... they weren't told anything!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I can only say anyone who has not been to a meet and enjoyed the pleasure of meeting so many Funsters,please don,t let this thread put you off joining or meets.:pray::Eeek:.

It is what the name says Motorhome Funsters,informative,helpful knowledgeable,and enjoying ourselves. Occasionally odd remarks are made,it would be nice if the funster who made them apologised,but life's to short to worry about that,let's just enjoy this forum.:cheers:
A little bit 'hypocritical' there IMV! I'm still waiting for an explanation of why you had a go at me on the below thread! Posts #37 and #38.

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/no-solo-s-allowed.119516/page-2

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
what an awful/hurtful and embarrassing situation for briar rose and her friends to have been put in..

i must admit that i haven't read all the posts in this very long thread but i wonder if i could make a suggestion if anyone else feels like emailing or writing to the management of this holiday site and make a positive suggestion that their receptionists/booking staff undergo some staff training that will allow them to ask the relevant questions re: single or same sex couples at time of booking to avoid similar scenarios and disappointment..

positive actions are always better received than negative..

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Why would it matter if they were younger?
Have Motorhomers, of any age, got a reputation for criminal or rowdy/lewd/unsavoury behaviour?

Yes they have. you have clearly never seen @ukbill on a night out or attended the last Shrewsbury show with @ROB1CHELSEA1 @Silkcut1105 .
in fact, to be honest, the funny thing about this whole business that Biarose expresses is that they wouldn't let her in but would in fact let the likes of me and some of my more rowdy motorhome buddies in for a couple of nights. I wonder how they would feel with 5 large breed dogs and the likes of us lot on cider and a sunny day in!!!!
They would be ringing Biarose up to beg her to come back with as many singles as possible!!! ha ha...
isn't this the site where @ourcampersbeentrashed held rallies? it probably had nothing to do with you being single, you must of had a fun badge in your window :rolleyes:

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Ahhh Shrewsbury I remember it well :D I thought we were in Salisbury :whistle: :party2::ROFLMAO::beerchug:

MotorhomeFun at Shrewsbury - YouTube
upload_2015-11-22_16-10-1.gif

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS09erQFzRE

OP
OP
Briarose

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
Thankyou all for your support. I know in life we don't and can't all agree all the time. What I can state is I wasn't trying to win any sympathy votes, more tell the story how it is/was. What happened to me at the site isn't anger over my Husbands passing, yes I might be more raw right now than normal....but that type anger passed weeks ago when I felt so annoyed that he had been taken so young and wouldn't see his Grandchildren grow up....use his motorhome etc etc see any of my younger Son's babies born etc etc not some touring site.

I guess the new situation I find myself in now needs me to check things more carefully in future. It just never occurred to me that this is something I need to be aware of before. Do I regret posting the topic no....it might make someone else aware and to do the same no matter what camp site it is. And the up side of the coin is those camp sites that discount single people I guess.

OP
OP
Briarose

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
what an awful/hurtful and embarrassing situation for briar rose and her friends to have been put in..

i must admit that i haven't read all the posts in this very long thread but i wonder if i could make a suggestion if anyone else feels like emailing or writing to the management of this holiday site and make a positive suggestion that their receptionists/booking staff undergo some staff training that will allow them to ask the relevant questions re: single or same sex couples at time of booking to avoid similar scenarios and disappointment..

positive actions are always better received than negative..

A brilliant suggestion and solution. Let's hope someone at Searles does this !

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Thankyou all for your support. I know in life we don't and can't all agree all the time. What I can state is I wasn't trying to win any sympathy votes, more tell the story how it is/was. What happened to me at the site isn't anger over my Husbands passing, yes I might be more raw right now than normal....but that type anger passed weeks ago when I felt so annoyed that he had been taken so young and wouldn't see his Grandchildren grow up....use his motorhome etc etc see any of my younger Son's babies born etc etc not some touring site.

I guess the new situation I find myself in now needs me to check things more carefully in future. It just never occurred to me that this is something I need to be aware of before. Do I regret posting the topic no....it might make someone else aware and to do the same no matter what camp site it is. And the up side of the coin is those camp sites that discount single people I guess.

Without this post, I'd have had no idea that solo travellers are not welcome in some sites. Thanks for the warning.

For the record, I would have been mightily annoyed if I'd turned up like you did and were turned away like that. The contract had a been made over the phone without reference to the T&Cs; very poor practice by Searles as they applied them without warning.

Hymer Joy

Free Member
Nov 3, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Since 2000
I am a recently widowed lady driving my Hymer on my own...I have had many ups and downs with people that don't understand how hard it is for us. I would like to think that common sense could have been used under the circumstances, I have never come across a ruling for solo travellers . Take heart and keep going !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back