Have I Imported a Hymer with All Wheel Drive? (1 Viewer)

donnkim

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Bury
Funster No
MH
Low Line Coachbuilt
Exp
a newbie
Waiting for DVLA to process my 2002 Hymer Starline 640 on a Mercedes 316 cdi.
As you would expect all manuals are in German!
There is a switch next to the ASR switch which, when I have slowly translated, is 'switchable all wheel drive'
Has anyone heard of this and how it works. The Mercedes manual cover 3 pages on this switch so it must be important.
I am very impressed with my import - I can't believe it is 15 years old. She is beautiful and so well looked after.

Thanks
Don

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
That is going to be heavier than an ordinary one, extra gearbox diff and drive shafts, but you would not get stuck on showgrounds with it less mpg as well

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
ASR = Anti Slip Regulation. Basically a system that uses the ABS to apply the brake on a spinning wheel. Or at least that's what it normally means.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
ASR = Anti Slip Regulation. Basically a system that uses the ABS to apply the brake on a spinning wheel. Or at least that's what it normally means.
Just to clarify, I think the OP needs info on the switch next to the ASR switch.

OP
OP
donnkim

donnkim

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Bury
Funster No
MH
Low Line Coachbuilt
Exp
a newbie
That's right 'Kingham'. There are at least 10 pages detailing this accessories in the Mercedes Sprinter manual with - from what I can gather - limitations to speed and conditions. I just need a bit more detail if that is possible.
Also has anybody ever come across an all wheel drive Motorhome of thus age before?
I will look under my Hymer this morning.
Cheers
Don

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Waiting for DVLA to process my 2002 Hymer Starline 640 on a Mercedes 316 cdi.
As you would expect all manuals are in German!
There is a switch next to the ASR switch which, when I have slowly translated, is 'switchable all wheel drive'
Has anyone heard of this and how it works. The Mercedes manual cover 3 pages on this switch so it must be important.
I am very impressed with my import - I can't believe it is 15 years old. She is beautiful and so well looked after.

Thanks
Don

I believe Mercedes did do (may still do) a 4WD version of the Sprinter. A young guy I know was contemplating converting the Van Version into a camper. So I guess that it is not impossible that Hymer would offer a 4WD. Useful for those who do a lot of (say) Skiing? or off road Motor-sport?.

This is North American? site. http://www.mercedes-benz-vans.ca/en/sprinter-4x4/cargo-van Is this similar to your switch arrangement?. (9th picture)

Last edited:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Mine has that button, it is a "slip assist" on mine. 2016 Fiat.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If it 4 wheel drive the suspension will have more clearance, but as others have said a quick look underneath and see if it has front drive shafts(y)

We are in Germany at the moment and Niesmann camping a big Hymer dealer have a 4X4 ML something parked in the flower bed.

Martin

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
Electronically selectable four wheel drive system will only give 4WD when needed. Normally you will have front wheel drive only. No extra fuel consumption and only a marginal weight increase(iro 200lb) with all the benefits and extra safety margins of 4WD particularly in winter snow and ice or on muddy roads/tracks and increased ground clearance its a win/win if it all works properly. Sounds like a great buy-any merc dealer will be able to help you.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
This is the latest 4X4 Hymer, ok they moved it out of the flower bed now.

IMG_0418.JPG

Martin

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I cannot go out to the van for my handbook at the moment to check the details, but yes, there was a 4-WD version of the Sprinter during that time (mine is a 2003 Star-line 630 on a 316 chassis but RWD 5-speed auto). The 4-WD switch would be on the central panel, as is the ASR switch, but I cannot remember exactly in which position. As others have said, check if you have a diff on the front axle and drive shaft to it as well as the rear.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
2017 model also available in an A Class.
I spent 2 days at the Stelaplatz at that dealer when I came down with food poising last October.:)
Hi Lenny

I didn't realise they did it on an "A class".

Martin

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
@donnkim is your new van an aclass or coachbuilt?
I've never seen a 4x4 aclass but coachbuilt could be a possibility...

I think it's most likely that the switch is an electronic diff lock, as opposed to 4x4.

If all else fails, drive onto some soaking wet grass and give it some wellie, you'll soon know if it's 4x4 or not ;)

OP
OP
donnkim

donnkim

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Bury
Funster No
MH
Low Line Coachbuilt
Exp
a newbie
Yes. I am amazed as it is an old A Class.
Discovering something new in her everyday.
One of the best chances I have ever taken. The dealer in Bremen was brilliant and so helpful.
She had the best test drive ever - a race to catch the evening sailing from Rotterdam!
Only downside so far is the pull down bed - Her in Doors - is taking her time getting used to it!
Don

KittyTabbert

Free Member
Oct 3, 2016
Spain
Funster No
MH
Tabbert FFB MQ705 A Class
Exp
My 1998 Tabbert is based on the Sprinter 412, twin wheel axle and has electronic diff lock, it has the symbol of engaging 4wheel drive on the button, could it be what you have?

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
I drive a 4x4 sprinter at work and the 4wd switch is just to the left of the steering column next to the low range gearbox. Yours might be different to mine though.

Rob

unimog

Free Member
May 11, 2014
In the doghouse
Funster No
MH
Mercedes unimog 1300L
Exp
2 years
I have a 2004 4x4 sprinter .The four wheel drive systems were all made by
and are very expensive and have a separate high low gear box giving 10 forward and 2 reverse gears .
They have 3 switches, one for rear axle diff lock, one for hi low gear box and one for centre diff lock
Its much more likely that yours is fitted with a lockable rear diff which uses the same axle as a G Wagon

OP
OP
donnkim

donnkim

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Bury
Funster No
MH
Low Line Coachbuilt
Exp
a newbie
Sorry - I am at the age when getting up again takes sooo much longer.
She has not got drive shafts on the front.
So must be a type of limited slip different.
Received registration number from DVLA just 2 weeks - credit due to this Government Department.
May I say that it is not difficult to import an old Hymer from Germany - just alot of nerves!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back