Has anyone been burgled

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by chaser, Oct 24, 2013.

1. chaser

chaser Funster

This keeps cropping up, so has anyone on here actually been burgled or gassed while asleep in the mh in motorway aires or camps or anywhere, not meaning having stuff stolen when you are not there or bikes off the back or stuff you have left outside or even someone dipping in through an open window to pinch a satnav or wallet but actually while you are there in the van ,someone breaking in.
    Not your friends aunties lodger but you.:thumb:

2. Allanm

Allanm Funster

The gassing while asleep us an urban myth. According to quite a few experts, they would need a huge amount of gas to have any effect on anyone inside.
    As to the rest, no, never had any problems like that
    Allan

• Like Like x 1
  3. chaser

chaser Funster

No me neither but just wondering if we had been lucky or if it all a myth, we have parked all over including motorway aires and never seen anything :thumb:

4. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Don't know about gassing, but there was a Funster on here a couple of years ago who was at Stratford with us. He had a self-conversion van.

Whilst they were asleep in it, someone came in and actually took his wallet from where he tucks it under his mattress whilst they were asleep. I have forgotten what else they took but they had to stretch over the bed to reach it. Sorry, cannot remember the funster but they had a white converted van.

5. chaser

chaser Funster

In Stratford !?

6. movan

Not quite the same thing, but two years ago I parked on a motorway service station down south, and went for a coffee and breakfast.

Decided not to stay in and eat and just got coffee to take back to my van. I had been gone about five minutes. As I walked back two men ran off, jumped in a lorry and sped away.

They had removed the window from my habitation door, I guess with a view to putting hand in to open it and enter. If I had got back two mins later, they would have been in there when I got in.:Angry:

7. chaser

chaser Funster

Yeah ,well that's what I think , you can put as many locks and bolts and things you want on the doors but most mh windows would open with a penknife:Eek!:

• Like Like x 2
  8. movan

They had come to the Stratford meet but the theft had occurred the week before. Sorry, not sure where exactly. The following post of mine was at the Michael Woods (?) service station on the way to Bristol.

9. estcres

estcres Read Only Funster

We had both our Bikes stolen last year (Dec10th) whilst staying at South Lychett Manor campsite.

The bikes were looked together and also secured to the Fence post and covered with a waterproof cover.

We were both fast asleep in the camper and never heard a thing so I presume we must have been gassed or something.:Rofl1::Rofl1:

10. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

I'm sure I read on here a while back someone saying they'd stopped on a motorway aire because they wouldn't let him on a campsite with his Hobby and he'd been gassed while towing with an A Frame. Was he joking then? :Confused:

Edit: Saw that "Like" Was it you?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Geo was a few years back and so was RR (puportedly gassed as Bruno was in the van at the time.) A few funsters have reported being robbed in the past.

12. movan

:Sad:Nannyjan was robbed whilst on a busy campsite, but I don't know if she was in it at the time. And, not robbed, but someone else parked up and had some yobbos smashing bricks on their van whilst they were in it... they quickly got up and drove off ... hence good idea to always park in such a way you can get away quickly.

13. chaser

chaser Funster

Pardon, which like

• Like Like x 1
  14. chaser

chaser Funster

'Was he joking then?

No idea, was he.

15. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi, yes three times . once in 98 at taghazoute . we were in the roof tent on my old vw . they broke the back window and nicked some bags of clothing .
    i had a metal panel welded in instead og glass.
    then in 2008 i was robbed while asleep at el saler near valencia .
    they forced the door and took things out of my wallet and cash .cards . the bank in uk woke me by telephone wanting to know if i was taking money out of my account at a machine in valencia .
    then in 2009 again at taghazoute . they removed the back window of the cab , took radio and a few things from cab .
    i again went to the village and had metal put in instead of glass . its still metal.

cant say i was gassed any of the times . might have been drousy through drink .
    i think thats what many are.

16. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

abut twelve years ago while sleeping in our first van on my brothers drive we wer woken up by sum one opening the wardrobe in my conversion apparently that's the last thing he remembered
    still don't know till this day how he got in but when the police released me from the cells
    they sad he probably slipped the lock
    no charges were pressed against me i as helped to recover sum stolen property and apprehend a persistent offender
    i was on my brother drive at the time he has had no indecent's at his home from that time
    :Wink:

• Like Like x 3
  17. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

We were burgled on the Aire at the Bai de Somme service station on the A16 in France back in 2005. Our van along with six or seven others was broken into during the night. Our passengers door lock was forced, and a mobile phone and a jacket were stolen from the front seating. We now have a VanBitz Strike Back alarm fitted and we set it every night regardless of where we are. We also make sure that there is nothing visible on the dashboard or the seating area

Brisey..

18. busby

busby Funster

How did they get your pin number? BUSBY:Smile:

19. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

The "Like" from Jonandshell on my post. It rang a bell that it may have been Jon that posted that comment a while back (whoever it was, tongue in cheek). :RollEyes:

20. vwalan

vwalan Funster

they didnt thats what alerted the bank . unfortunately i was about to start stocking up with wine and beer to go to morocco . so had changed some money in the day . never put it anywhere safe left it in my wallet . we live n learn . i had hsbc and uk santander phoning me . luckily it alerted the banks .
    was a nuisance though as i couldnt get more cash out the bank . luckily my mates could loan it me till i got back to uk .
    i could have paid and had money transfer but my friends helped out . mind they didnt get it back for 5 months . but good mates they were .