Grahmes

Free Member
Oct 2, 2016
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E795
Exp
hi, has anybody hard-wired a dash am to a M/H.
In addition, I can only find dash cams that only fit to the windscreen. I don't want to have to move it to close the blinds. Cheers all. Happy Sunday

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Just in the process of hard wiring mine in. Latest car has a power interior mirror so I'm hooking into that.
Just waiting for the new screen mount to arrive and then job done. No more wires trailing across/around/in/under/through the instrument panel. :)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
There are some nice looking cameras that are built into the rear view mirror and attach to the existing one.
The TF card for recording fits inside the mirror/camera and also some have dual camera inputs so you can have a rear camera.
I was looking last night on ebay.. may order one..

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Grahmes

Grahmes

Free Member
Oct 2, 2016
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E795
Exp
Yes, that's good - I have a screen that fits over the rear view mirror with the reversing camera on it-looks good thou.
Just had a look at the blackvue ones - they seem to have it sorted pretty well

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I hard wired mine and attached it to the mirror with a simple ally bracket.. Nothing clever at all

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Mine is on a small black CCTV camera bracket on dashboard at the bottom of the screen. It's set back to clear the blinds and the (permanent) wiring runs inside the screen heater trunking. It's a Hymer A class so the camera is well out of the drivers line of sight.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just in the process of hard wiring mine in. Latest car has a power interior mirror so I'm hooking into that.
Just waiting for the new screen mount to arrive and then job done. No more wires trailing across/around/in/under/through the instrument panel. :)
Check the voltage at the mirror first.
If the vehicle has a canbus system the voltage CAN be well below 12volts.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Check the voltage at the mirror first.
If the vehicle has a canbus system the voltage CAN be well below 12volts.
It shouldn't be. CANBUS should switch the supply to the mirror & the bus itself won't be anywhere near it.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It shouldn't be. CANBUS should switch the supply to the mirror & the bus itself won't be anywhere near it.
That's what I would expect yet the mirror voltage on my car is 8v.
I had to run above the headlining and down inside the door pillar trim to the cig lighter supply.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Mine is on a small cctv bracket on the underside of the drop down bed so is behind the blinds.
There is sill clearance for it when the bed is lowered.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
IMG_1257.JPG
My Blackvue is mounted at the bottom of the screen and is fine tbh, it misses the blinds.
Not hard wired yet but will be shortly, straight to the leisure battery.

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Mine is on a small black CCTV camera bracket on dashboard at the bottom of the screen. It's set back to clear the blinds and the (permanent) wiring runs inside the screen heater trunking. It's a Hymer A class so the camera is well out of the drivers line of sight.
Hi tonyidle, would be good to see a pic of your setup
Thanks

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I had an MOT on my car today and didn't take the dashcam off the windscreen and got 2 written advisories to move it prior to test so be warned .

OP
OP
Grahmes

Grahmes

Free Member
Oct 2, 2016
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E795
Exp
Im the end, I have bought a thinkware f750 bought from the RAC shop and professionally hard-wired.
In sits at the bottom of the screen and fits between the windscreen and the blinds.
Very similar to the blackvue dash cams.

Thanks all for thoughts and help

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
IMG_0328.JPG
Some of the units have voltage stabilisers and or fuses in the plug, so removing the plug isn't always a good idea. It also means that moving it to use in another vehicle is more hassle

However, it's simple to mount a socket under the dash and plug the camera into it. That way the wire can still neatly be lost down between the windscreen and the edge of the dash, but plugged into an additional 12 VDC socket

Mine is wired to be live when the ignition is on, with the unit having auto shutdown 15 minutes after the ignition is turned off.

This way it works every time I drive without any human (mine lol) interaction

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Tony's mount is technically correct as its not on the screen, but an inexperienced MoT tester might incorrectly see it as being in the drivers view

Robs Camera is most certainly a failure, even with the camera removed the sticky mount is in the swept area B and looks bigger than the allowance.
But if 40mm or under diagonally in zone B swept area you could argue it is a pass and advise
Eddies solution to connection especially if used with a piggy back fuse is the simplest and safest, anyone contemplating cutting of the plug should tripple check camera volage. and anyone going direct to battery should realise if you forget to switch it off you will flatten your battery forget to switch it on and you might as well not bothered
G

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Tony's mount is technically correct as its not on the screen, but an inexperienced MoT tester might incorrectly see it as being in the drivers view

Robs Camera is most certainly a failure, even with the camera removed the sticky mount is in the swept area B and looks bigger than the allowance.
But if 40mm or under diagonally in zone B swept area you could argue it is a pass and advise
Eddies solution to connection especially if used with a piggy back fuse is the simplest and safest, anyone contemplating cutting of the plug should tripple check camera volage. and anyone going direct to battery should realise if you forget to switch it off you will flatten your battery forget to switch it on and you might as well not bothered
G
Mine is definitely out of my line of sight - something that isn't clear from the photo. Looking down from the driving position I can see the wipers over the top of it. MoT man either agrees or hasn't noticed it as it has been there for the last two MoTs at least.

OP
OP
Grahmes

Grahmes

Free Member
Oct 2, 2016
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E795
Exp
Mine is positioned so it does not get in the way of any vision. When I take the cover off the windscreen when we move on tomorrow; I will post a picture.

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Checked some of the reviews of the nextbase models on here & they aren't to bad so having the 312 fitted 2morrow at Halfords, £10 fitting charge & you get the hardwiring kit for nothing.I'm happy with that. :).

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
It may come as a complete surprise to learn it has absolutely nothing to do with line of sight.
How could it?? I have no way of assessing what you or a shorter or taller person can see,
so therefore a strict set of things are put in place that have to be complied with wether it impeeds your view or not, and its those rules that determin a pass or fail
A landrover for instance can have 3 spare wheels and 6 Jerry cans bolted on his bonnet so he cant see s**t, but hes Not allowed a 11mm or 41mm chip in his screen, or a camera mount for that matter
G

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Checked some of the reviews of the nextbase models on here & they aren't to bad so having the 312 fitted 2morrow at Halfords, £10 fitting charge & you get the hard wiring kit for nothing.I'm happy with that. :).

Have you confused yourself? Kip, fitting at Halfrauds is £30 including the kit which would cost £20 to buy on its own, so that means fitting is in essence costing £10, but not with a free kit too unless you are paying to much for the camera which should be £99 expect a bill of £129
G

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008

G
It won't bother me, I'll be changing the van before the MOT is due :D

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Have you confused yourself? Kip, fitting at Halfrauds is £30 including the kit which would cost £20 to buy on its own, so that means fitting is in essence costing £10, but not with a free kit too unless you are paying to much for the camera which should be £99 expect a bill of £129
G​
whoops once a numpty :whistle:.say no more !!​

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It may come as a complete surprise to learn it has absolutely nothing to do with line of sight.
How could it?? I have no way of assessing what you or a shorter or taller person can see,
so therefore a strict set of things are put in place that have to be complied with wether it impeeds your view or not, and its those rules that determin a pass or fail
A landrover for instance can have 3 spare wheels and 6 Jerry cans bolted on his bonnet so he cant see s**t, but hes Not allowed a 11mm or 41mm chip in his screen, or a camera mount for that matter
G
I know it hasn't and it doesn't contravene the MoT requirements anyway. But it would irritate the hell out of me if it was in line of sight.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
It won't bother me, I'll be changing the van before the MOT is due :D
Remind me not to buy off you Rob;)
Doesn't bother me either as mine is also in an MoT fail spot as it unfortunately happens to be the best place for them but mine is removable for the test
The purpose of my post is due to mounting methods now trending toward a better and more permanent mounting system it could mean MoT Fails for those that don't realise, and result in an inconvenient if not expensive destruction of a sticky camera mount along with the risks involved of removing such an item
I can't think of any tester loosing sleep over telling you to remove it or fail, but many who would, over loosing his job because he wanted to appear reasonable.
Remember we get ingognito vehicles in for test many times a year from both DVSA and Trading Standards, and its these silly little faults that cost many their livelihood
so you might just be setting your friendly tester up for a fall :rolleyes:
If your mount is in Area A it must be smaller than 10mm
If you mount is in Area B it must be smaller than 40 mm
Anything larger than these figures in these areas is an obstruction to drivers view for the purpose of the Mot test.
even IF its not in your line of sight

windscreen_scan (1).jpg

G

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp