LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Both my previous vans were insured with Comfort and after they quickly sorted out my one and only only claim (windscreen) in 2015, I was happy to give them first chance to quote me for the new van.

Bearing in mind that my previous policies have been cheaper, sharing the driving with my wife and that I have made one glass claim, I was mildly surprised that with only me driving, the quote with UK & European recovery was only £311.

When he asked about an alarm, I said that I was intending to get a "Strikeback" fitted, to which the young man says "Oh, you're going down to see Eddie are you?".... So on that note @eddievanbitz I'm now committed to a trip south once I've got a delivery date (y)

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
As a matter of interest did they tell you that your Motorhome would not be insured for theft until you had the alarm fitted by Vanbitz?

I was told this because there is a 3 week gap between collection and getting down to get strike back fitted. Now I can't remember if the Fiat Ducato comes fitted with an alarm as standard so I'm going to have to make sure no one takes off with it before I get it fitted with Strikeback.

OP
OP
Kingham

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
@Chris Laing I'll check when I instruct them to start the policy, but they gave the impression that I had 30 days to sort an alarm. This may be due to the van having a Tracker fitted before it comes away from the dealer.

If it is the case then I'll happily pay a higher premium until the alarm is fitted, rather than have no theft cover.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
When he asked about an alarm, I said that I was intending to get a "Strikeback" fitted, to which the young man says "Oh, you're going down to see Eddie are you?".... So on that note @eddievanbitz I'm now committed to a trip south once I've got a delivery date (y)
You must've spoken to the same lad that I did! As soon as I told that I had a Growler, he knew all about it, even asked me how long I'd had to wait to get an appointment! :D

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think it depends on the value of the van if under 65k they give you 30 days to fit an alarm otherwise no theft cover until fitted.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Good luck with the small print in their policy, especially their dodgy adverts claiming "365 days European cover" in reality meaning that you cannot leave your M/H for any reason for more than 36-48 hours

When questioned, they told me that they only sold the one policy, not individually tailored. If one size fits all suits, then great, but I got a far better deal from AIB

Last edited:

Box Boy

Free Member
Jul 3, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Globecar Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2010
Our van renewal with Comfort from this coming April is the same as last year- even with the increase of IPT :)
Brian

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
AIB have insured me for the last three years as their price has only gone up by a couple of quid over that time(y)

and its less than £220;)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My comfort renewal this year had gone up £50, which I was expecting as I have had a big claim. It was still very competitive though so I renewed with them. They dealt brilliantly with my claim, pity it took Rapido so long to come up with the parts.

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Good luck with the small print in their policy, especially their dodgy adverts claiming "365 days European cover" in reality meaning that you cannot leave your M/H for any reason for more than 36-48 hours

When questioned, they told me that they only sold the one policy, not individually tailored. If one size fits all suits, then great, but I got a far better deal from AIB

After reading this I'm getting a quote from them next week (y)
Last year I was with Caravanguard but the renewal price has gone up so thought I'd shop around, have you found them ok?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We've gone with AiB again as they were the only people who could quote and do a "follow on" now. We will be away when the renewal is due and everyone else told us to call no more than 4 weeks before the renewal is due - which will not be practical if we are away!

Seakerr

Free Member
Mar 15, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Moved from caravan in 2017
Once again homefun forum has come up trumps for me. All this experience and knowledge is very valuable. This time it was the mention of Comfort Insurance that filled the bill. I'm 78 and had an incident where my caravan (just sold) came off the car while leaving a site a couple of years ago and so getting insurance for our one year old Elddis Encore 275 was not easy. The MOTORHOME (!) and Caravan Club quoted me £1526. Comfort with glass cover etc £461. We're due to collect Rex tomorrow!!!
Seakerr

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Just rang Comfort and AIB and both said they will have to ring me back with a quote, is this the norm? I have always had a quote straight away over the phone, is it me?(n)

Seakerr

Free Member
Mar 15, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Hi Badknee
Comfort gave me a quote on the phone and I was so delighted after all the refusals/ridiculous quotes that I accepted straight away. Since then we've been to the Peterborough show and then 6 weeks in France.
Hope that you get sorted out. In my experience Comfort is the place to go.
Best of luck. Seakerr‍♂️

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Just renewed with Comfort for our 7th year with them. Was satisfied with the quote, which had only gone up slightly. They asked if there had been any alterations to the vehicle and I said a reversing camera had been added. Oh they said, that will reduce your premium - took about 12 quid off, which brought it to slightly less than last year - £310 incl full UK & Continental breakdown cover. (y)

The van is only 1 year old and I spotted they do 'new for old' for up to 3 years, so that's a bonus! (which I hope I don't need ;))

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
As at cob I've still not heard back. Lifesure quoted £510 over the phone. (n)

Seakerr

Free Member
Mar 15, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Why don't yo give Comfort a heads up call Badknee?
Your paperwork could have been put into the wrong drawer at Comfort?
All my details are in my earlier post. You could compare yours and decide whether your quote from Lifesure is good v for m.
Seakerr

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Why don't yo give Comfort a heads up call Badknee?
Your paperwork could have been put into the wrong drawer at Comfort?
All my details are in my earlier post. You could compare yours and decide whether your quote from Lifesure is good v for m.
Seakerr
They don't work Saturdays it seems, AIB awaiting reply from insurance company so they say.

RFS

Free Member
Apr 30, 2013
Yarm
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just on my second van but still I'm a newbie
Just went with Comfort yesterday. £313 including UK and EU breakdown.

AIB came with renewal cost pretty much the same as last year (£530+) which I had to go for as I was insuring on the VIN to import from Germany. Not many companies would offer cover without UK registration.

Another thing I noticed with AIB was that the renewal offer stated no NCB even though last year I declared 9+ years NCB; is this the norm!!!??

So from me, another thumbs up for Comfort.

Seakerr

Free Member
Mar 15, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Your point about your NCB would get to me. Might it be worth your while to query that? OK so the vehicle is coming from another country but NCB is secured by the driver and not the vehicle surely?
Seaker

Aug 4, 2009
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globus T1
Exp
since approx 2009
Comfort automatically include legal protection/advice - had policy 2 weeks (premium 263) and used legal advice

SimonC

Free Member
Jul 31, 2017
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-4
Just had quote from Comfort for first and brand new home. Using the SAME details, Comfort £350 cheaper than Caravan Guard. That's some hell of a variation in the small print to justify such a difference in my opinion!

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We've gone with AiB again as they were the only people who could quote and do a "follow on" now. We will be away when the renewal is due and everyone else told us to call no more than 4 weeks before the renewal is due - which will not be practical if we are away!

Are you sure it's a follow on policy and not an auto renew? I didn't think it was possible to do a follow on, certainly never heard of it and never been able to get a quote more than 30 days in advance.

Last year the insurance company rang us in France when we told them we were considering cancelling the policy and getting new quotes to compare before we went. We stayed with them as the quote was still competitive.

By the way if you're insured with the "dark side" insurance via Aviva they are stopping it but don't know when but were told that by Comfort when phoning for a quote this year and they had all our details on their system and were able to tell me how much it was going to be before we even heard ourselves! He told us they'd be about 5% dearer.

Jul 9, 2017
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Comfort - I had to tell them where it would be parked so I said between my driveway and caravan storage. So I was told I had to name the main parking so I said caravan storage so he told me that if I parked my M.H for more than three days at my house I had to let them know.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Are you sure it's a follow on policy and not an auto renew?

Well they gave us a price we were happy with before we went away and the cover suited us. As long as we are insured and legal with the cover that is right for us ......

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Comfort - I had to tell them where it would be parked so I said between my driveway and caravan storage. So I was told I had to name the main parking so I said caravan storage so he told me that if I parked my M.H for more than three days at my house I had to let them know.

Us too, but not a problem, for security reasons we don't park it at home for more than one night.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
So I was told I had to name the main parking so I said caravan storage so he told me that if I parked my M.H for more than three days at my house I had to let them know.

Same as our insurers, cant quite figure out why this is the case.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back