Halogen Ovens (1 Viewer)

Oct 18, 2016
Lymm
Funster No
MH
Hymer b524
Exp
Newbies
Hi has anyone ever used a Haligen Oven? If so are they worth having and if so what other appliances do you have as well I.e. Microwave or griddle etc. Any help appreciated. We are travelling to Switzerland for 3 months in Dec and just trying to figure out which appliances we need for cooking. Thanks in advance Murphybrown

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Halogen ovens are brilliant if you have hookup and no oven. A chicken can be done in no time and you can bake in them. If you are getting one make sure it comes with all the accessories and the lid fits on upside down to save space.

OP
OP
M
Oct 18, 2016
Lymm
Funster No
MH
Hymer b524
Exp
Newbies
Thanks Snowbird I will do some more research .... What do you use? We have an oven and we're going to get a microwave with maybe a stand alone George Formby type appliance but if the Halogen ovens are good then that would be better. Think they toast as well? Thanks for the info K&D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I think we got it from Aldi some years ago. Pork chops are very good done in it and cook bakes some very good chocolate bomb things in it. I do believe you can get them in smaller sizes now which are more suitable for the motorhome.

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
We have an oven, grill and microwave but we also take a halogen with us. It just about fits in the oven for travelling but there is a bit of shunting around when I want to use the main oven (I normally stand it in the shower).

We rarely use the microwave, use that for storage of light items. To be honest I don't use the halogen very often but it's good for e.g. grilling when we'd otherwise have to use the gas grill/oven.

Karen

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
We bought one. It was very good but just a gadget and after probably using it 4 times, it was relegated to behind the microwave then to the conservatory, then given away.

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
I've got two. One in the house and one in the van. I use the house one in preference to my main oven. It does everything a big oven does only faster and its easier to clean. In the van we have to be a bit more careful. We might have to turn something else off while its on.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Joan was reading the book for a Halogen Oven we have been given. I states that half an onion would take 60 minutes to cook while a rare steak would take 10 minutes they described it as topsy turvy cooking.

To my mind a frying pan would produce the same food in a couple of minutes over a gas ring.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I use one most days at home. I've got a range cooker ( in the house when I bought it) Time consuming to heat that up just for me.
I've not tried baking in it but it's so quick for regular meals and a doddle to clean.
Kitchen's being refitted in the new year but I'll still keep the halogen.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I've got two. One in the house and one in the van. I use the house one in preference to my main oven. It does everything a big oven does only faster and its easier to clean. In the van we have to be a bit more careful. We might have to turn something else off while its on.
As above. use the one indoors for everything. +they are far cheaper to use.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We used the smaller one in the motorhome but they stopped working after a while Andrew James replaced it for me but that one also stopped working. I was in Spain at the time and too costly to return.
I have since bought a remoska. expensive but lower wattage only 400 watts. Can't get the smaller 1000 watts halogen oven anymore. Andrew a James had stopped doing them. works even when in lower ampage.

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
When we bought our Adria it had no oven, so I went for a halogen. Very happy with cooking results, but as we do not have a huge amount of worktop I was rather bothered about the amount of heat given off at it had to stand close to the sidewalls and have not used it this year. The other factor is that it is quite heavy so may be something to consider.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Halogen ovens are great, my hubby does most of the cooking and he loves his! However they do vary in quality and speed/heat output, for example the smaller ones are quite a bit slower than the full sized ones and hubby did NOT like the brand new one he was given which was from Lidl, it certainly wasn't as good as his older one.

Bear in mind that the power input can be quite high for a halogen oven too so it might be worth considering a Remoska (or similar) to use in your camper instead as this is lower powered but being smaller it doesn't take long to heat up anyway.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
What are you wanting to do/cook? There may be other ways (even better) than a Halogen oven. Will you always have access to EHU (how many Amp)?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back