Habitation check

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Mikey RV, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Mikey RV

Mikey RV Funster

What do they actually do for this.

2. chaser

chaser Funster

Much the same as you do every time you go out in it I presume (y)

• Like Like x 1
  3. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 3
  4. AuldCodger

AuldCodger Read Only Funster

A well engineered license to print money. Can't wait 'till mine is out of warranty. I can only imagine in my line of work telling a customer "oh by the way the five year warranty I have just given you requires you to call me back every year to inspect the product and yes I will require a large wad of cash thank you very much"
    Suspect the words on and bike might be the reply.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

6. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

Just had my bailey done to keep the warranty and they do NOT carry out a damp check because of the construction had a look of the sheet you get and apart from the gas check I could do it all myself within 2 hours Max and they charged £204
    Van was dropped off at 8.30 and I was phoned at 11.15 ready for collection

7. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

for me the gas check must be the most important part of this service, warranty or not

do you that don't rate the habitation service not service your home boiler either?

whether the service agent does a thorough job is more scary

I hope you have healthy CO monitors in home and MH if you don't have servicing done or DIY

the DIY reference presumes you are not trained to current standards

8. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

I've a mate whose a gas tech

He hoovers my boiler and shines a torch on it once a year ......

Costs me a pint :)

Charges his customers £60 for the same job confesses himself that boiler servicing is the easiest money ever made.

9. longdog

longdog Funster

+1 on this, I have a mate who is a gas fitter and he says exactly the same.

10. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

We just hab service done to keep the warranty. He was in the van for3 hours very thorough. And he said your fridge doesn't need servicing. He could have made another £150 as I didn't know if it did or not. Cost of hab service £110. Rob comes highly recommended in the worcester area. A mobile one don't know if can say his company on here.
    I prefer to know all my appliances are safe anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  11. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

I think the thing about gas testing on a motorhome is that the vehicle is subject to a huge amount of vibration, during its travels - well ours is, anyway. In my view, this differentiates the set-up from that in a domestic environment. And there have been a couple of 'gas issues' that have arisen during the 3 annual habitation services we've had on the van so far.

Mike

12. iandsm

iandsm Funster

I think any competent DIY person can do their own jab test. A reasonable damp meter does not cost that much and a can of gas leak test spray doesn't either. Using the widely available check sheet from the caravan council its easy to do things one at a time and it's not difficult. The benefit is you know it been done. I started doing my own after a well know Motorhome dealer where they pride themselves in customer service/satisfaction noted on the test sheet that no MCB's were fitted to my motorhome (There are in fact twin MCB's fitted next to the main electrical distribution box) they also could not find the the two 110 hab batteries which are in the wardrobe under very evident hatch. They assured me they had checked the water filter (There isn't one fitted) They only charged only £150. for this "service"

I would say though that if you have any doubts about your own competence get a professional to do the gas and electricity tests.

• Like Like x 1
  13. gibbon

gibbon Read Only Funster

I wouldn't take any risks with the gas side of things, but I'm pretty convinced in my own mind that the rest of it is money for old rope.
    Just my opinion , nothing against people earning an honest living from it.
    After all, some people aren't particularly "hands on" and would rather pay for peace of mind.
    This of course is providing that the pro has made a thorough investigation and not just ticked the box's on the hab form(y)

14. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

I think it's probably already been mentioned, that most / all manufacturers require an annual habitation check by an authorised dealer as part of the damp / water ingress warranty - in our case the guarantee is for 5 years.

Whilst it would obviously be possible to have the checks made by a competent independent engineer, I'm not sure how enthusiastic the manufacturer would be to honour any claim for damp in such circumstances? And given the manufacturer would want the rectification undertaken by one of its 'qualified' dealers - how willing would the dealer be to play ball with a warranty claim, when they'd effectively been side-stepped for servicing?

Mike

15. Ninovan

Ninovan Funster

We are just due our first hab check in October. Does it have to be done by the supplying dealer or a main dealer for the make, or can it be done by an "approved tester" in order to keep the warranty. I have a couple close to me and for reasons that are too long to go into would rather not use the dealer I bought the van from. Thanks.

16. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

Over the years I have had a new Autosleeper and a new Burstner motorhome. I discovered by talking to the dealers that not having a habitation check does not and cannot invalidate the warranty. I used to just have the van tested for damp.
    As far as I am aware there are no maintenance items on your van appliances, no filters to change, nothing.

Mike

17. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Buy a van from me and you get the first three years habitation checks for FREE as we like to show we care.

Peter

• Like Like x 3
  18. Bertie Bassett

Bertie Bassett Read Only Funster

My current van is out of warranty but I still take it back for the Hab Service. The only reason I do this is that having read the very small print on my insurance document failure to do so annually is a reason to invalidate it. Cue loss adjusters smile, me having just had a van fire...'and the paperwork for your Hab Check is where sir' Ho Ho there isn't any. Rubs hands walks off and thinks deeply about what he's going to buy with his bonus. Insurers. don't you just love em.

19. gibbon

gibbon Read Only Funster

Change your insurance company (y)

• Like Like x 3
  20. Bertie Bassett

Bertie Bassett Read Only Funster

You tell me one that hasn't got a catch all in the small print and I'll change to it, and tonight!

• Like Like x 1