habitation check

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by poppys, Mar 9, 2011.

1. poppys

poppys Read Only Funster

I have been quoted £115 to have this done,is it a good quote ; or should I buy a damp meter and do it myself. I have always done most of my own servicing/maintenance on my old air cooled VW`s but my wife thinks that as my present Eldis is a bit more complex and valuable that it should be done professionally. Your views most welcome. Chris

2. motorhomewave

motorhomewave Funster

We are having a habitation check done tomorrow by a mobile service engineer (£120 + vat) our MH is only 2 years old so a stamp in the book seems like a good idea when it comes to selling.

3. Terry

Terry Funster

If it is older and does not require one for G/TEE do your own :thumb:-IF you are unsure what needs to be done you can always watch what he does and do your own next yr :Rofl1::Wink:
    They basically check gas and water systems and that all windows doors and catches and things work :thumb:
    http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/images/Approved_Workshop_Motorhome_Service_Schedule_2010.pdf
    see above check-list :thumb:
    terry

4. Squire

Squire Read Only Funster

Hmm ... not sure about that. OK if it's not a newish van and you're not likely to be selling it for a few years, but if I was offered a van with an owner's 'self certificate' I would discount it. I would want so see certificates from a professional and unbiased source.

5. Terry

Terry Funster

It is not a self certificate just to let Poppy know what is done :thumb:
    By all means get a proper one (qualified engineer)if you think it will help sell your van :thumb::Rofl1:
    terry

6. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

Thats not to bad a price, we were quoted £220 plus VAT by our motorhome dealer last week, luckily we had it free this year as compensation as they messed us about so much last year when we got the van.
    We had to have it done 10 months after getting the van though as it was registered too early and we didnt get it (the van)for 2 months after registration.

7. paulmold

paulmold Read Only Funster

Surely window catches and that sort of thing you can do yourself. The only items which should be done by a qualified engineer are maybe the water system and definitely the gas system and a damp check. Depends how much of a diy person you are and whether a van conversion or coachbuilt. Van conversions don't suffer from damp so much except around window frames. A mobile engineer in Cheshire advertises a habitation check for £115 or just a gas safety check for £35, I would assume other mobile engineers would do the same. The dealer I bought my MH from offered a special winter price of £175. I know who I would use.

8. Masman

Masman Funster

Just had mine done with local mobile motor home service.80 quid.:thumb:

9. C.L.S

C.L.S Trader - Service & Repairs

The average price for a mobile engineer to service your van seems to be £90.00 --£100.00, the one thing worth noting is if your van is still under manufacturers warranty make sure the engineer is either approved by the manufacturer or is an "Approved Workshop" which is run by the National Caravan Council if not they could invalidate any remaining warranty. :Sad:

These have engineers all over the Uk : www.mcea.co.uk

Mark

10. Terry

Terry Funster

Just done my own cost £ 0 :thumb::Wink:
    terry

11. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Hi, Having my done by Ash at Newbury as I want to keep the warranty up, and I would rather use someone who knows what to check for.

Well worth the money!

S:thumb:

12. philw111

philw111 Funster

While not actually specified as a requirement on the policy, I wonder if an insurance company would try to wriggle out of a claim for damage caused if a habitation check hadn't been carried out.

Anyone had experience of this?

13. Terry

Terry Funster

No & why should it?
    terry

14. philw111

philw111 Funster

Just thinking worst case scenario. Say there was a fire and it was found to be caused by a malfunctioning gas heater, could you be classed as negligent if the system had not been checked for a long time?

15. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Mine is now out of warranty so DIY is attractive. Has anyone come across/designed a checklist. I'm sure that would be useful.

16. Terry

Terry Funster

gives a good idea
    terry

17. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

So do all of you who do your own hab inspections own all the apropriate equipment? I'm thinking gas system soundness control unit, damp meter, proper battery tester (rather than just a multimeter). Do you know where the most likely water ingress areas are and therefore where to check?

D.

18. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

We use http://www.central-leisure-services.co.uk/ we find it easier him doing it at one of the shows. Mark just loved or dog growling at him. :Wink::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1: But she is no longer with us, so he might even enjoy doing it now.:BigGrin: Bob.

19. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Dave
    gas system soundness control unit is not a necessary bit of equipment- you only need to do a drop test- although it makes life easier.You can do that without any equipment:Wink:.Damp meter, a £ 15 one will do the job, again not as posh as a £150 one, and battery tester yep I have a multi meter (never use it:Rofl1:) but my local spares shop will test the battery's free of charge (in the hope of getting a sale) on there posh £250 tester :thumb:
    Not knocking the Habitation tests you do or the equipment you use but there are alternatives that do the same job :thumb:A bit like the £299 18v battery drill in my garage and the £30 18v battery drill I carry in the van.The expensive hd duty one does a great job day in day out but the £30 one does the exact same job on the odd occasion I need it :thumb:Where to test ? if you have a £15 meter you can stick it on every inch of the van :Rofl1:The rest is simply what I would call daily use maintenance :thumb:a squirt of silicon on anything that is feeling stiff or needs lubrication, if a light bulb or catch fails you change it.:thumb: None of it is rocket science
    terry

20. Terry

Terry Funster

See att for a more complete habitation check-list
    terry

Attached Files: