Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Ok so i think i have found the relay that cuts of the power in the Habitation area when the vehicle is running.
is this the culprit ??
and if So What do i need to do so that the 12V electrics remain on when the MH is running.
20161021_104620_resized.jpg
20161021_104921_resized.jpg
20161021_104946_resized.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
You just need to connect the wires going to 30 and 87a or 87. They are the ones being switched by the relay.
I would wonder first why they have decided switching of the power to the habitation would be a good idea.
What are all the other mess of connections - are you related to @Ironbru?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I would wonder first why they have decided switching of the power to the habitation would be a good idea.

One neat suggestion was that it exempted them from doing a load of EMC tests for any interference of habitation side to engine side on the move.

Others have said just to stop distractions when on the move.

Neither make a scrap of sense in the real world.

The wiring to the relay seems pretty lightweight to be carrying all the hab side current.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Depends what you want your had side to be running while driving, we had the same problem when wanting to charge tablets and things while on the move, but I solved this by adding some cig lighter plugs wired , through a fuse block direct to the jab battery , so cured that problem and don't really see any other need to alter the wireing

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
You just need to connect the wires going to 30 and 87a or 87. They are the ones being switched by the relay.
LOL thats naught to do with me ,, thats the way i found it when i removed this cover for the first time :D :D
The two boxes there are for free view,, so thats defunk,, as all tv's there days have it inbuilt, so i think ill rip it out :D

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Depends what you want your had side to be running while driving, we had the same problem when wanting to charge tablets and things while on the move, but I solved this by adding some cig lighter plugs wired , through a fuse block direct to the jab battery , so cured that problem and don't really see any other need to alter the wireing
That is why i originally removed this panel , to get a constant 12v supply so i could use that,, that is when i seen the relay and went,,,,,Hmmmmmm are you the culprit ...
probby the main reason i want it on all the time is for the water pump when driving , so you can wash hands.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I didn't notice that, you're right - 30A relay 15A wire?

It doesn't even look that big.

@Bart are you sure that's the right relay? It would be odd for it to be just flapping around in the middle of nowhere like that.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
No's 30 and 87 were both giving 12v when the MH was running. ( they are linked ) so would it be just a case of removing the power going to 87 ?? so 30 remains in contact with 87a constantly ??

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
It doesn't even look that big.

@Bart are you sure that's the right relay? It would be odd for it to be just flapping around in the middle of nowhere like that.
That is why i'm asking , im not sure , i just know its in the back with most of the had 12v electrics right beside the control panel,, and not its not just flapping about , it was screwed in place at the rear of the cupboard :)

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
re what gets cut of in my MH when the engine running is as follows :
Water pump
fridge
2 x 12v sockets
i THINK the lights , ill have to check it.
so its not a lot anyways

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
With the relay unplugged from the base like that is there any effect at all on the 12V system?

Is everything still working or not and does this change when you switch the ignition on?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I didn't notice that, you're right - 30A relay 15A wire?

Seems normal when Swift/Sargent are involved. I'd just don't believe what they use for leisure batteries.

Also there appears to be 5 wires to the relay, I wonder why ?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Just a thought.

That couldn't be the fridge relay instead of the main 12v system one could it?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
re what gets cut of in my MH when the engine running is as follows :
Water pump
fridge
2 x 12v sockets
i THINK the lights , ill have to check it.
so its not a lot anyways
Unless you have a non standard fridge, that doesn't work off hab battery anyway , either switched on or not. It's either gas, 240 v or off the engine battery when on the move.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Unless you have a non standard fridge, that doesn't work off hab battery anyway , either switched on or not. It's either gas, 240 v or off the engine battery when on the move.

Depends how old the van is.

Most current ones are auto change-over.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Just a thought.

That couldn't be the fridge relay instead of the main 12v system one could it?

Depends how old the van is.

Most current ones are auto change-over.

well that relay is right ABOVE the fridge , so poss could be.
The MH is 2007 , and is usually set to auto , it can be gas elec and battery ( not sure which battery mind ya )

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Try removing the wire to 85, leave relay plugged in. That might be all you need.
ill try that tomorrow , after i 1st check and make sure its not anything to do with the fridge

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
The relay on my old kontiki was chucked under the sofa, the charger and fuse box was the other side of the wardrobe wall.
there is actually a small circuit board and fuse box about the size of a book under the bench opposite the battery / charger , i never paid much attention to it when i was doing work at that end ,, but ill remove that cover as well tomorrow and make sure there is deffo no relay there as well.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
No's 30 and 87 were both giving 12v when the MH was running. ( they are linked ) so would it be just a case of removing the power going to 87 ?? so 30 remains in contact with 87a constantly ??
Yes.
The relay is the normally closed variety and power from the alternator OPENS the contacts making the circuit dead.
As long as there is no power triggering the relay the contacts are closed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back