Hab door security, has anyone bought one of these?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Mack100, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Mack100

Mack100 Funster

2. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Nooooooo... Lovely looking bit of kit but pretty expensive and a bit OTT unless you are going to beef up the locks on the cab doors and do some fairly substantial modifications on the plastic windows.. Even the best window locks I have seen are not going to stop even a half hearted attempt at a break in :Sad:

Not willing to post the most common entry method via window on here but it is scary and easy for a thief :Sad:

3. nomadic

nomadic Funster

They also market one for the cab doors, we had them fitted to our lunar and transfered them to our Bessy...............very good quality, if a bit pricey.

Have to agree the window is the weak point, when last in Spain, a fellow camper went for coffee at the next van, on her return, rear window taken out, TV and cards all gone.....not good.
    :cry:

4. Mack100

Mack100 Funster

I agree about the windows being a weak link, I'm getting those sleeves that clip over the latches and fit those Milenco alarm thingies.
    It's more about security when we're sleeping in the MH. I'd like to fit some deadlocks to the cab doors but I'd have to cut away a small corner of the Remis blind cover.

Me paranoid? :Blush:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wombles

Wombles Funster

After a lot of research on here & the web we have fitted a Heosafe door lock as we don't have space around the hab door for any other kind of lock than can be locked on the outside when you are inside which can still be opened from the inside as normal. A couple of things to watch for - don't lock yourself out as this could happen quite easily with a Heosafe lock & if cosmetic appearance is really important to you it isn't the prettiest thing! We are waiting for a replacement from Motorcaravanning.co.uk as the paint finish on the back plate is poor on the one we received & the stickers are a bit gaudy & impossible to remove. Other than that it works well (if a little stiff at first), no need to do any drilling & is the only additional hab door lock that we could fit that could be opened from inside whilst locked on the outside. We also have the Lock M Out (search on here for threads with more info about these) additional window handle lock devices which are very good & the only product we found that fills this gap in the market plus Milenco Sleep Safe alarms on the windows, additional Milenco cab door locks, Fiamma door locks for the lockers, locking wheel nuts & a Clutch Claw fitted so we are even more paranoid than Mack100! Hopefully making it as difficult as possible will make any thieves go elsewhere. Also thinking about security etching the catalytic converter, windows & bikes...

6. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

the installation instructions translation start out ok but goes to pot towards the end. :Laughing:

Assembly instructions:

•unlock the outer lock

•remove the screw covers (using a sharp tool)(photo 1)

•take out the screws (photo 2)

•remove the original gasket of the outer lock place the outer lock through the support plate (photo 3)

•place the safety cover through the support plate′s guiding channels (photo 4) taking care for the cover′s gasket not to be damaged. [HI]At the plate′s arrival carefully push the gasket through[/HI]

•in closed state push the cylinder until it locks itself (photo 5)

•place the outer lock with the on mouned securing lock through the holes in the door. [HI]Screw it afterwards with the inner lock together easy and strengt even[/HI] (photo 6)

•[HI]check for the security cover to easily slide through. Eventually loose the screws. Done.[/HI]

8. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

All these door locks, and mainly the door catch is nothing more than plastic. The windows and catches are plastic, heki roof light is plastic.
    As easy as getting into a poly tunnel......

Craig

9. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

also my argument for night time dead locks and strapping both front doors together hindering escape in emergency.

size 10 boot vs plastic window....no contest

if your vans on fire your last concern should be how much damage you cause on the way out

• Like Like x 1
  10. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

You can't always fit these additional gizmos around your hab door as there may not be space on the frame. I found that with the Fiamma item. In the end I put it on the gas locker door to stop my refillable cylinder being swiped.

I have a simple form of internal door security consisting of webbing straps attached to the lock mechanisms with the lock's securing bolts and anchored to the walls or kitchen units, with quick release clips in case we needed to make a rapid exit. If the lock is breached it makes it difficult to pull the door open, by which time the alarm's sounding anyway.

11. Wombles

Wombles Funster

Sounds complicated to fit Heosafe but really quite easy & no permanent damage to motorhome as no drilling!

12. Wombles

Wombles Funster

Agree that if someone is willing to make a lot of noise & effort to smash their way in then these add on security items won't stop that but they will make it a lot harder so hopefully put them off! With regards to being able to get out in an emergency - the Lock M Out only take a second to pull off the window handles & with the Heosafe the door lock operates exactly the same with no delay from inside but just remember not to shut it behind you as unless you have the keys you will be locked out...

13. ukbill

ukbill Funster

why dont ya just put a load of razor wire around ya perimeter and maybe a gun turret
    also 2 dobermans with the laggy band on their dicks not sure but maybe u will be safe :Smile:

14. Wombles

Wombles Funster

Everyone has their own choice to make regards to security - lots think no point they will get in anyway & do less damage if less additional security & some who will try & cover every angle possible to make it more difficult risking more extreme damage if entry is attempted. In my experience people normally go for the easy option so think it's best not to make it easy for crooks & if something does happen at least we will have done our best to prevent it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mack100

Mack100 Funster

Quite agree, as I said earlier it's really for when we're asleep in the MH particularly on a stellplatz or an aire.
    It's been drummed into me often enough on here that if they want to get into the van ............etc. etc.
    That's pretty obvious and I'm not talking about turning it into Fort Knox, just sensible precautions.

• Like Like x 1