hab door bolt

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by gordoncbrown, Jan 4, 2014.

1. gordoncbrown

gordoncbrown Funster

I'd like to fit a habitation door bolt, partly for security , partly because the door seems to be a bit warped now and doesn't seal the best at the bottom and top. Nothing worse than a leaky bottom.
    Is there a recommended type of bolt for moho doors? Is it an easy enough diy job or is it best to get it done by the professionals?

2. Terry

Terry Funster

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  3. Terry

Terry Funster

4. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

I would think either of the 2 suggestions would work well unless like us you have a fly screen attached to the door so nothing to fix it too

5. mentaliss

mentaliss

If you really want to fit an interior Hab' door bolt ......go and visit a yachting chandler who should have some very smart chrome finished bolts:Smile:

6. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

I am not so sure. They have to be fitted to the door, because it opens outwards, but what can you fit them to that is solid enough. Self tappers are OK into PVC door frames but not the flimsy stuff a motorhome door has on the inside I would have thought. If they put enough leverage on the door to defeat the existing built in lock(s) then I would have thought this would stand no chance. But I stand to be corrected if anybody has used them and found a strong fixing point on the door.

7. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

Gordon
    Been thinking about this and just wonder how wise it is to fit bolts or whatever to the door, may make it difficult to get out in an emergency, think if door is starting to warp slightly maybe the hinges can be adjusted ?
    Ron

8. gordoncbrown

gordoncbrown Funster

I've looked at the hinges and they are ok. Also, how many locks do you have on your house doors? I would know when they were on but as long as they are simple you can still get out quick. Know where you are coming from and appreciate the comments to stimulate thought.

9. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

a warped door can be carefully twisted to make the loose corner touch the frame just ahead of the latch touching. then it will hold tight and be weather resistant. not for the faint of heart but easy enough to do, just apply a little pressure at a time

10. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

been here before.......

In a true emergency where you really have to get out (fire etc) which is going to give first.......a flimsy hab door or a size 10 boot.

My money is on the door giving up and a plastic window as an alternative exit doesnt stand a chance.
    Damage is irrelevant as if you need out that desparately the chances are the vans a right off anyway..

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014