Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Dave,

just had a thought, instead of drilling a 5mm hole, why not swap your Burstner for a Hymer with external battery lockers :)(y)
Perhaps Dave doesn't want an old Hymer.:D
On new Hymers the batteries are either in a floor well by the passenger seat or in the double floor.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
@Bart

https://www.tayna.co.uk/GF-Sonnenschein-Battery-GF-12-105-V-P5602.html

Happy so far. Only fitted in November but had 10 days in France although we did move about. Survived 6 days in New Forest over New year without moving ok.
I replaced the crap Banner AGM's with the Sonnenschein SL75 Gel's very pleased with the performance they are getting swapped to the new van and will probably add a third as I don't want AGM's again. Sonnenschein are part of the Exide group and make the Exide Gel's.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
If theres acid sloshing about inside of them they will need venting, maintenance free or not you will find a hole either side of where the screw caps rail is...in the sides. (disclamer: Probably)

Do vent them, get some tubing from b and q and shove it in, vent to outside even if you drill. hydrogen gas rises. its unlikely, but open flames etc....

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I replaced the crap Banner AGM's with the Sonnenschein SL75 Gel's very pleased with the performance they are getting swapped to the new van and will probably add a third as I don't want AGM's again. Sonnenschein are part of the Exide group and make the Exide Gel's.
what was up with the Banner AGM's ?
and where did you buy your Sonnenechein SL75's from ?
Also i seen before in a thread somewhere a link to some site / body that had tested Lesiure batteries and rated them , don't suppose anyone has a link for it again , been searching for ages looking for it

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
what was up with the Banner AGM's ?
and where did you buy your Sonnenechein SL75's from ?
Also i seen before in a thread somewhere a link to some site / body that had tested Lesiure batteries and rated them , don't suppose anyone has a link for it again , been searching for ages looking for it
Banner AGM's lasted 18 months and they don't honor their warranty, if you want to see how bad they are just search the German forums.

Tanya, £140.22 and if you are ordering 2 ring them and they will knock £10 off the carriage. There was a pop up on their site offering 5% off if you signed up to their newsletter.
You found the NCC, I wouldn't trust anything they say even if they claim it to be independently tested. They are funded by manufacturers and dealers for their own benefit. Even have crap Banner batteries in their list and quite a few batteries are re-branded ones so you haven't a clue what it really is.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
You found the NCC, I wouldn't trust anything they say even if they claim it to be independently tested. They are funded by manufacturers and dealers for their own benefit. Even have crap Banner batteries in their list and quite a few batteries are re-branded ones so you haven't a clue what it really is.
I found your comment interesting so Googled you to see if anyone agreed with your expert views about the corrupt NCC leisure battery scheme and to my great surprise nothing came back. Clearly a major flaw with Google. I then Googled for independent reviews of the NCC leisure battery scheme and the following is just a small example of what traders etc are saying.

I have now logged a complaint with Google for not including your expert views on this subject.

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/m...ctical-advice/choosing-a-ncc-verified-battery
http://www.wintertyres-yorkshire.co.uk/leisure-battery-scheme/
http://www.homesteadcaravans.co.uk/...y-consumer-protection-scheme-now-in-place.htm

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
When I bought them I could see no hole to put a tube so I checked with the supplier who assured me that they did not need venting.
Quite right, if there are vent holes then definitely fit vent tubes through floor below.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Banner AGM's lasted 18 months and they don't honor their warranty, if you want to see how bad they are just search the German forums.

Tanya, £140.22 and if you are ordering 2 ring them and they will knock £10 off the carriage. There was a pop up on their site offering 5% off if you signed up to their newsletter.
Exactly why i would also always take "word of mouth" and ask on forums about other owners of a product before contemplating making a purchase.

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
After reading this thread, I checked my leisure battery - fitted by dealer. The battery has a vent hole at each end, but no vent tubes. I have purchased 2x vent tubes from Alpha Batteries, but I was wondering if I need to fit them both, or could I just plug one end of the battery, and use the spare tube for another battery I am fitting?

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
........ The battery has a vent hole at each end, but no vent tubes. I have purchased 2x vent tubes from Alpha Batteries, but I was wondering if I need to fit them both ..........
I have just confirmed that the vents are connected internally by putting a vent tube in each end - when I blew in one, air came out of the other.. I will now plug one vent on each battery, and fit vent tubes to the other port.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back