Grumbles at Mumbles.. Motorhome overnight parking.. locals unhappy..

Discussion in 'Motorhomes in the News' started by scotjimland, May 31, 2016.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

A MUMBLES car park has become a favourite with motorhome owners, but their overnight stays are ruffling some feathers.

Knab Rock car park is a stone's throw from the sea and Verdi's cafe and a short walk from Mumbles's shops and restaurants, but no camping there is allowed.

The Post has received complaints that motorhome owners are regularly parking there overnight as well as during the day, reducing the availability of spaces for other visitors.

[​IMG]

Motorhome parked at 9pm on Sunday at Knab Rock car park

We took pictures of several motorhomes parked there at 9pm last night and again at 7.45am this morning.

One readers comment..
    Here we go again local people should just bend over and take it from the tourists in return for the few measly pounds they may spend. It's the same all over Wales. If these selfish freeloaders can afford a motor home and the vast amounts diesel they burn then they can afford to camp at a proper designated site. Where do they dump the contents of their waste tanks I wonder?

Read more: http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Motorhomes/story-29337051-detail/story.html#ixzz4ADSik6zm

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Here We Go again
    Its about time these plonkers realised that by the time we've forked out for these Motor Homes and Diesel we cant afford site fees:doh:
    Rearrange these words into a well known phrase or saying
    Jealous,eye monster, green again old same :clap2:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

I think that this is the car park where I'm supposed to stay when doing race officer duties for the Osprey dinghy nationals. I was given the impression that we would have official permission. Need to check on this....

4. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

@autoswan who I believe is a local posted about this yesterday.

He said overnighting has been tolerated there for years but now, as usual, it appears that a few are taking the piss and are likely to ruin it for everyone.

The first picture in the article is an example. If you want to have half your kit spread around on the floor outside your van use a campsite.

• Like Like x 3
  5. scotjimland

sorry, I missed his post, my humble apologies for reposting..

• Like Like x 1
  6. NickNic

I wasn't having a pop (y)

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Mumbles is a dump anyway

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. scotjimland

no problem.. I normally check before posting .. one of my pet hates are double posts ..

my opinion is that rightly or wrongly, when you upset locals and it hits the news it's only a matter of time until the local council act.. either by banning overnight parking or a complete ban on motorhomes.. and then a height barrier goes up.

freeloaders get us all a bad name..

'free camping' is not about using car parks as camp sites..

• Like Like x 8
  9. Shandyman

Shandyman Funster

The van in the first picture of the article has been there for weeks I'm sure he is full timing there when I spoke to him a few weeks ago he was complaining that someone had reversed in to the back and driven off he was repairing the rear there with filler and fiber glass.

• Like Like x 1
  10. reckless

reckless Funster

Maybe one of the issues is that the number of really big motorhomes is increasing rapidly and maybe tolerated parking was not intended for such large vehicles. Just saying (y)

Locals may have no objection to smaller MHs but a bunch of coach-sized MHs is another thing.

We ourselves have been in a coastal resort CP in our car where a MH had taken up 4 spaces because their table and chairs were also out. As said many times, this type of behaviour really doesn't help.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Don't agree Geo. If you cant afford to run it and that includes parking and camping don't buy it .....nothing to do with jealousy,the guy is making a statement that many others in Wales are thinking....Roy

• Like Like x 5
  12. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

As the newspaper link in Autoswan's post says, "Motorhome owners have every right to park at Knab Rock car park during the day, as long as they pay the charge and don't take up more than one space, but a sign on the Swansea Council-owned spot said it is an offence to use it for camping."

We have to remember that most car parks are simply not designed for large vehicles - and taking up 4 spaces, especially with tables and chairs, is just taking the mickey, no wonder people complain.

• Like Like x 8
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. NickNic

Agree 100% with that. If you do find a car park that you can use don't over stay, don't take up any more spaces than absolutely necessary, stick to the "4 wheel" rule i.e. nothing else touching the floor and when you go make sure that nobody would know you've been there.

• Like Like x 5
  14. autoswan

autoswan Funster

You got a larger number of replys than my post on it, so dont be sorry mun ;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

I thought that the post was a little tongue in cheek, to be honest

• Like Like x 2
  16. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Maybe he has nowhere else to live ?

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. scotjimland

could be.. but a car park isn't the answer..

there are CLs that will unofficially allow long term with a discount , probably cheaper than this car park

• Like Like x 2
  18. buttons

buttons Funster

I was in Aldeburgh at the weekend Jim, the entire sea wall is being re-built. The word on the street is that continued abuse by huge gin palaces like the one pictured earlier have damaged the sea wall foundations and cost the local tax payer dear. The whole area has been fenced off for some weeks and a complete motorhome ban could be on the cards.:)

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. scotjimland

ha ha .. an unlikely story ..more like an excuse to have further motorhome restrictions.. :(

don't suppose it could be anything to do with sea erosion.. and the pounding by the waves from the N Sea ? :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 4
  20. buttons

buttons Funster

No Jim they are convinced that it is the weight of the over sized 6 wheeled gin palaces that have caused the damage...;)
    We were staying at Sizewell but Aldeburgh was heaving with Audi driving couscous eaters. Very small bunches of asparagus at £5.50 a through were selling like hot cakes. I guess someone has to pay for the sea wall damage.:)

Last edited: May 31, 2016
    • Like Like x 2