Grrrr - problems with me knob

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by magicsurfbus, Jul 27, 2012.

1. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

So there I am driving my MH back to the storage site prior to a Euro trip starting early next week, and my bloody gear lever knob crumbles and falls off in my hand before I've got out of the village.

Changing gear is extremely problematic with no knob, so I put it in knobless second and slowly find my way back home.

What next? Try eBay for 'Fiat Ducato Gear Knob' - nothing doing. No shortage of boy racer knobs, but most of those don't fit a lift/reverse gear stick, plus delivery time might be an issue. Try a wider Google search and all I get is parts suppliers offering search services - nothing actually for sale.

'I know' thinks I, 'It's going into the garage for new tyres on Monday, see if they can get one'. So I ring the friendly local garage, and to their credit they gave it their best shot, but the price quoted for a Fiat knob is over nearly £50 and it'll have to be ordered from Italy. It may not arrive until the day we set off to France so I don't want to be worrying about that for the next few days.

'I know' thinks I, 'Halfords has no shortage of knobs, I'll try there'. Well of course they're all pimped up boy racer knobs, and only one claims to be lift/reverse stick compatible and it's all shiny alloy. I have no choice but to buy it - £30 kerchiiiiing.

So I then spend an extremely frustrating hot afternoon trying to fit this item with its alloy mount and three tiny grub screws onto a gear stick with a lift/reverse spring pushing against it. At least one grub screw goes AWOL through the open cab door. Fortunately there are four in the packaging. I'm getting impatient with fitting it and re-fitting it, I over-tighten the screws, and the threads start stripping from the light alloy mount. One of the grub screws gets jammed. My knob goes all slack and dangly and won't stay upright.

'Bugger it' thinks I, 'There was a spare one left on the shelf at Halfords, I'll buy that, use its lift/reverse mount as a replacement then re-sell the rest of it (complete with its alternative mount) on eBay to recover some of the money'. I have no choice but to buy it - another £30 kerchiiiiing.

I get the second one home, open it and find there's only one bleeding grub screw instead of four, and no Allen key. Some sod has bought it before me and returned it minus grub screws and key.

Well to cut a long story short, I know have a new firm shiny knob in my MH, and a second bloody useless knob with insufficient grub screws sitting in pristine packaging in my kitchen.

Anyone out there need a deficient knob?

Hope you found it funny - I'm sure I will one day..

• Like Like x 5
  2. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Take the unused one back.. complain bitterly about the lack of fixing screws and demand a refund :Wink:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
    • Like Like x 3
  3. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

Not really the house of commons is bloody full of them

4. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

You're lucky, many years ago we were unfortunate enough to own an Austin [STRIKE]Allegro[/STRIKE] Allagro and every time the wife drove it the whole gear stick came out of the floor :Eeek: British quality huh :Doh:

5. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

knobless

Hey, I had a hillman minx that used to do that :Laughing:problem solved I used a mole grip for two years :RollEyes:

6. scran

scran Read Only Funster

knobs

we just been on holiday to scotland and gearknob came off we managed without it just using gear stick then got some two pack glue and stuck it back cant get it off now lol

7. B-well

B-well Funster

Local blacksmith, make up T-bar type, thread onto gear stick,backs up as security aid which you remove. can be painted any colour as long as its black

8. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

Been there,done that

Ha Ha Ha,my gear knob fell apart in France-gaffer tape round the shaft and then hammer knob back on (once a week) kept it going for 2 months.
    Did the same thing Googling around the boy racer knobs-finally gave in and went to Fiat dealer-think it was around £45 at that time-bought it,hammered it in position-been ok for 2 yrs now :BigGrin:

Mike

9. Bluemooner

Bluemooner Funster Life Member

I had problems with mine but the special clinic sorted it:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

10. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

HUH at least you have one, i don't

-
    -
    -
    --

-
    -
    -
    --
    -
    -

-
    -
    -
    -
    --

mines an auto :BigGrin:

11. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

cheap solution......

round block of wood similar in size to knob

packet of assorted holes.

fit hole to block of wood
    hammer onto gear stick.

avoid situations where you need reverse and you dont need the lift function.

:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  12. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Ah well, that'll be a new motorhome then:Wink:

13. champers

champers Funster Life Member

What about the scrap yards, are they the same type of knobs as cars ? (no funny coments please:Rofl1::Rofl1:)
    The few in our areas have virtually everything on the shelves ..just a thought

Kath

14. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

You could have done what my friend did when the gear lever broke on his Trabant ... he broke a branch of a nearby tree, stuck it in the orafice, and drove home using that! :Laughing:

15. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

..thereby doubling its resale value at the same time. Smart thinking.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Peter Spence

Peter Spence Read Only Funster

New assembly Group!!!!!!

sorry im a newby but coud'nt resist

New group called The Nobbheads