Grey water at Peterborough

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Reallyretired, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Time for another grey water thread.

The organisers at Peterborough provided no facility to dispose of grey water, the leaflet said 'leave with your valve closed and take your grey water home with you'. This is for hundreds, if not thousands of vans on a four day rally. What did you do?

I used my 'magic bucket' which has slots in the bottom. A thick pad of 'Juan sheet' kitchen roll in the bottom, and leave the tap open. After four days only a small patch of slightly damp grass, no smell or 'crud' which was all trapped in the kitchen paper, which went in the bin. I then left with the valve closed, however many didn't from the tracks on the surrounding roads.

• Like Like x 10
  2. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

I just didn't wash :Wink:

But obviously Nikki did,

Oh no did I leave my grey waste :Doh::cry:

Open

• Like Like x 3
  3. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Just dump it were you like seems to be the norm nowadays. Dont bother with the rubbish bins either, just leave the door open and throw your rubbish out. Slowly drizzle your cassette around the water tap as it will get washed away when the next person uses it :Wink:. Dont worry....be happy :BigGrin:.

• Like Like x 1
  4. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

how ironic was it that my first raffle prize in 44 years was,,,,

A

Guess what

Yep a Foldable bucket :Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 6
  5. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

Dumped 120 ltrs of fresh water where we were pitched and took 130 ltrs of grey home and dropped it off there :thumb:

6. duane0001

duane0001 Read Only Funster

You should have dumped the grey then washed it in with the fresh :thumb:

7. ROB1CHELSEA1

ROB1CHELSEA1 Funster

Lost all my fresh water under the van:Sad: but cleaned the streets of London with all my waste:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2
  8. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

I went round sharing a couple of gallons of "Black" and "Grey"....

In all the tuggers nice little grey tote trolly`s that were tucked up underneath...

Did it at night though... :thumb:

:RollEyes::Wink::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Glad I wasn't at Peterborough. As a fulltimer I rely on basic facilities when I am paying for a pitch :Doh::Rofl1:.

You know something Haggers, in that situation I may have left my valve open :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  10. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

I actually dropped the grey on the dirt track road to our house. Kept the dust down for an hour. :Rofl1:

11. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

We had ours on slow dribble, but we didn't use much water anyway so not a lot to 'lose' anyway. On Sunday morning when going into the show we noticed a large 'puddle' under one van who obviously had his drain tap fully open and appears to have had a very bubbly shower judging from the foam under his van! :RollEyes:

We did, however inadvertently 'dump' the contents of our fresh water tank on the A15 on the way home ... hubby noticed what appeared to be steam coming from the back of the van as we were travelling along, possibly the water hitting the exhaust as we travelled, we stopped as soon as it was safe to do so (very bad road) and found that something had hit the fresh water drain tap and broken part of it off, we were therefore unable to stop the water escaping but did managed to fill the kettle before it all disappeared! :thumb:

12. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

All that means is that there is no dedicated dump point where you can open the grey valve and let it drain into a manhole or similar.

With our current van the grey tank is reasonably large so we had no need to dispose of the water before returning home this year.

In previous years, with our previous van, I've drained the grey into the jerry can we carry for the purpose and dumped it into either the grey disposal point (similar to that on a CC site) or the black waste point (depending on where we have been pitched with Fun).

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mel

Mel Funster

I dont know the answer to grey water.

Some people tell you it should never get into the ground water .
    Which i have always thought.

But i have stayed on campsites where they ask you to but your grey water on the trees between the pitch.

I would always try to get rid of my grey water Responsibly.

I was told off in Switzerand for not being direct over the drain which was immposible.
    The grey water had to run about 6 " on to the drain on concreet.

14. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Sometimes I leave it open.. sometimes I leave it shut.. depends on the ground and the location

At Peterborough it was closed and dumped over a drain on the way home...

I did not do it for any altruistic reason, merely that the ground there was already pretty close to getting nasty and did not wanna make it worse for the next person to sink in to !

15. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Some bugger pulled the handle to our slide valve at around midnight on Saturday!:Angry:

• Like Like x 2
  16. ukbill

ukbill Funster

i dumped mine on jaws pitch :Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 6
  17. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

grey water

I put mine in the blue toilet tank by the gate, with a large bucket that I filled with a folding bucket boy I did some slopping :soaobox::Eek!:what a carry on, why on a showground of that size no grey disposal point is quite ridiculous so many vans will surely have just dumped theirs on the grass ,if there is a supply of fresh water there should also be a disposal point :Angry:how hard can it be

• Like Like x 2
  18. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

The plan of the showground shows an American Elsan Point near the south entrance so, presumably, anyone who really needed to dump their grey water direct from the van could use that.

As to ease/difficulty of providing more grey dump points, the plan also shows that most black disposal points are in the grassed areas so most likely impractical for vehicles to drive over in large numbers.

On the subject of numbers, how many grey points would be an acceptable number? With many people leaving at the same time the queues could well be a problem.

19. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

That was probably us John, there was no one around and it was a long way to the loos.
    :Blush:

• Like Like x 3
  20. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

I must admit I am extremely lazy at motorhome show meets.

We use paper plates, bowls and cups have a "washing up bucket" where we place the cutlery and dirty saucepans. When we get home this is taken in door and the dishwasher duly loaded.

I refuse to wash up just for 2/3 days worth. I would rather spend that time with funsters.

We washed in the toilet/shower block and used very little water that needed to be disposed of so that we brought home with us.