Free Member
Oct 4, 2018
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Bessecarr 494
Exp
Since 2014
First post on here since becoming a member and I have learnt so much from you all. However, a moan. This morning whilst out on my motorbike I saw a fellow motorhomer leave a site onto the main road with his grey waste tap fully open and spewing its contents along the road. Covering me and other people in their contents and laying down a lovely greasy line through every roundabout it went over. Not only unpleasant, it is very dangerous to two wheelers. What's you thoughts. And thanks for all the tips posted, as it has helped us no end with our unit and succesfull touring.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
They could be slobs or they may not know their tank is full and it is splashing out the over flow.

Probably slobs

Jul 22, 2013
Altrincham
Funster No
MH
Chausson 718xlb
Exp
I was a newbie
Washing up liquid, grease from plates and soapy water from showers i suppose a possibility, i would never just let it empty on the road but let it drip all the way to wherever to ensure it is empty, is that non PC?

Jan 17, 2018
Sunny Poole
Funster No
MH
Low profile Burstner
Exp
3 years and learning
Anyone can make a mistake! I know I have. Leaving a site after going over the grey waste dump with a que forming behind, forgetting to close the dump tap and to my horror seeing a jet of water pouring out at the first roundabout. this does not make me a slob !!
some people are so quick to judge on this forum!! I suppose you are all perfect and never ever made a mistake. :unsure: Rant over:D

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Washing up liquid, grease from plates and soapy water from showers i suppose a possibility, i would never just let it empty on the road but let it drip all the way to wherever to ensure it is empty, is that non PC?
I am not condoning it, just questioning why it is "greasy" as most of the water that goes into a grey tank is "soapy"

I am not a motorcyclist, but a keen cyclist and I am sure that there are lots more dangerous things on the road for two wheel users than soapy water

Having followed a couple of Brixham fish lorries out of Torbay this morning that was a serious smelly affair lol

There is no need for it, but people forget and aren't necessarily bad people

OP
OP
Dave Winter

Dave Winter

Free Member
Oct 4, 2018
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Bessecarr 494
Exp
Since 2014
Still might leave a trail as the water sloshed on a bend and fetch a bike off. Tanks don't always empty fully in my experience.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: GPW
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Historically the grey waste thread has appeared countless times since we joined Fun, and its normally the bikers that disapprove the most.
We might be a bit OCD but we do not empty greasy water into our grey waste tank as we dont want any grease build ups in the pipes, or whiffs from the tank.
We take the washing up bowl to the nearest drain,or if on CL then it goes under the hedge as requested by some site owners.
Its only soapy water from our shower mainly that enters the grey tank, which should not prove to do anything other than clean the roads, certainly not make them slippy.
I do not in any way condone the deliberate dumping on public roads for any sort of waste ,whether it be fluid or worse litter, however, I do think there is a lot of exaggerated experiences on this as I haven't heard of a biker falling off whilst following a moho as yet...diesel spills, drain covers then yes.
As others have also mentioned it may well have been water emanating from the overflow pipes, and may even have been clean drinking water as they have overflows also, I know because ours leaks out when we go away with full fresh water tanks, but again its not greasy grey waste as most assume.
I am not guilty your honour...Honest!:)

Les ( permanent Thetford Cassette emptier/volunteer:sick:also)

Les

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Anyone can make a mistake! I know I have. Leaving a site after going over the grey waste dump with a que forming behind, forgetting to close the dump tap and to my horror seeing a jet of water pouring out at the first roundabout. this does not make me a slob !!
some people are so quick to judge on this forum!! I suppose you are all perfect and never ever made a mistake. :unsure: Rant over:D
Yes prefect!

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I agree can be dangerous for bikers.and a filthy habit.
I’m sure no self respecting motorhome funster would drive off with the tank pouring out , would they.??
Hi Anthea, I see it every time we go on a Warners Rally watching people leave, some even give me the thumbs up and a smile!!!!, not by any Funsters though, as they are heavily policed, we have rules & Rottweiler marshal's as you know.:D
We all normally leave sites cleaner than when we arrived if at all possible, and contribute greatly to the glass recycling bins.
Les

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I agree can be dangerous for bikers.and a filthy habit.
I’m sure no self respecting motorhome funster would drive off with the tank pouring out , would they.??

I have done it myself. I have emptied or thought I had emptied the grey tank and just forgotten to close the valve.

Next thing you know you see the water coming out in your mirrors when you go round the next sharpish bend.

I haven’t done it for over a year though because we sold the van over a year ago(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
Me well I mostly wild camp and rally and my grey water normally goes in the hedgerow having said that i use cleaners that don't contain surfactants or parabans as their less harmful. (please note I said less harmful NOT harmless) alternatively I take a small square of turf out dig a hole and allow it to drain away when done or leaving refill said hole and replace turf. on the rare ocasions I'm on site i use normal facilities.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
It is unlikely that the grey tank will completely empty, there is normally only one exit. It is therefore more likely than not that the "perpetrator" forgot to close the Tank Valve after dumping. My valve is on the "offside" therefore should I too fail to close it it would discharge any remaining liquid on the first left turn. I have retuned home with an "empty" tank, but if I open the valve on my drive I can guarantee that I will get at least a Bucket full if not more!. Caravans, without grey tanks, frequently discharge onto the highway that is the motion and gravity working on the waste left in the pipework. I am not condoning the deliberate and UN-necessary discharge, but one should be aware that this is not quite the open and shut case it first appears.

But Hell, lets just hang `em first, and then ask questions?.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Tap open at full bore. Flow was fast enough to have just been opened as they left the site.
Why would anyone wait until off a site then open the waste at "full bore" presumably having stopped to do so then left a huge puddle as they walked back to the front of the van and got in/put seatbelt on handbrake off etc before driving away? Sounds to me like others have said much more likely just forgot to close the tap after emptying and its sloshing out on the corners. It still doesn't make it right but everyone can make a mistake. At least its visible on the road surface maybe if it was slippy you were pushing on a bit too much?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back