Green thetford waste

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by boogie, Jan 15, 2012.

1. boogie

boogie Read Only Funster

Can anyone tell me what you have to buy to have eco friendly loo liquid (green)???

2. icantremember

icantremember Funster

The most eco friendly solution is to use no chemicals.

We havn't used chemicals for years now and have fitted a SOG extraction system.

In the long term it saves loads of cash as well as the planet and the bother of using chemicals.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  3. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We started using cheap bio washing liquid last year. Seems to work just as well as the expensive chemicals and as "green" as the "organic" versions.

• Like Like x 1
  4. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

Lots of cabbage ?

I'll get my coat!

Barry:Smile:

5. Travelbug1

Travelbug1 Read Only Funster

The "Green" loo chemicals are supposed to be more eco friendly as they break down organic matter using enzymes as opposed to formayldahyde which is a very heavy duty chemical.
    Also in Europe and some smaller sites they have different waste disposal systems which need to be chemical free although they do tend to say in their booking info if you cannot use blue loo stuff.

See below for info from another site:

The modern 'green' chemicals are bio-degradable so they break down in the environment rather than polluting it. Note that they simply work as 'pong arresters' so beware of exceeding the four day limit especially in warm weather! The raw chemical has a strong citrus type scent that some find pleasant and others dislike. [​IMG]The older non-bio chemicals are now banned in many countries and on farm sites, they shouldn't be deposited in public toilets either. Most were/are formaldehyde based and there is now evidence that this can be harmful to humans especially when the fumes are in a confined space.

6. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

I'm with GJH on this one started useing a cheap bio washing liquid after a long thread on here about it last year, find it is as equally good and much much cheaper. Worth giving it a go to see if it works for you.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Popeye

Popeye Funster

.............I've been in lots of loos like that!

• Like Like x 1
  8. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

>> Green thetford waste

Do you think it could be your diet ?

9. Drew

Drew Funster

We're fairly new to motor homing but so far we haven't used any chemicals and don't have a SOG and it hasn't been a problem.:thumb:

10. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

Personally I prefer the S.O.G. system for 2 main reasons.

1/ There is NO smell in the room after the toilet has been used, providing the flapper valve is open when the toilet is in use.

2/ Although the product stinks when emptying I feel that the blue chemical makes the stink worse than using no chemicals, as with S,O,G.

Doug...

• Like Like x 1
  11. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Trust you to find an aspect nobody else sees Brian :Laughing:

12. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Following on from my earlier post on this thread......in most cases the contents of the cassette are not in there long enough for the chemicals to have any effect.

If you are not using chemicals then you are wasting nothing by emptying more often.

Another plus I have found with the SOG is that because the cassette is permanently vented to the outside no pressure builds up and you don't get your own back when you open the flap.:Doh:

I am in no way connected and have no vested with the SOG company but just a very satisfied customer.:thumb:

13. aba

aba

we no longer use the chemicals just put a couple of capfuls of the cheapo washing liquid in the cassette.
    although i do find it seems to empty better if you nip No2 into lumps rather than a full log:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

14. Terry

Terry Funster

I would like to question this,How long have you had the sog?In practice you probably paid around 100 quid for the sog (Unless ,like me made my own at zero cost :thumb:)That gives you ten quid a yr on bio/chemicals over a ten yr period.Now when I was using blue/green stuff I never used ten quids worth a yr,which is what you would need to do to make the SOG pay for its-self ---Not knocking the SOG or yourselves but it is a rather expensive solution to chemicals.I personally would not consider paying £100 to dump my s--t for what may well be only 4 / 5 yrs before changing the van :Rofl1::Wink:
    terry

• Like Like x 1
  15. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I hope you wash the scissors well before you start on the salad.

A man would have to be very careful during this operation.

• Like Like x 4
  16. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Isn't that a chemical?:Doh:..............
    ..................at least you will have spotless clean logs:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  17. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

eat more fibre, fruit and veg and you won't have logs.. :Wink:

back on topic..

how long before European vans have a built in vent to the roof for the cassette, ( same as American motorhomes black waste tanks.. ) .. then no need for fan or chemicals..

• Like Like x 1
  18. Terry

Terry Funster

How does this work Jim?Is it just a case of fitting a venting pipe up to the roof?If so it could easily be done using a similar pipe extending from the cassette and up to the roof but without the fan :Smile:
    terry

19. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Only 2 years so far & I agree if you are a clever $*+^&£ you can save even more making your own..........we were originally spending considerably more than £10 a year on chemicals but that depends on many factors affecting how much you use your on-board loo.......

Prior to getting the SOG we had started using the Thetford crystals at £8.99 for 10 sachets, each lasting approx 2 days so at around 100 days a year around £45 ........maybe not the cheapest but the most convenient and supposedly eco friendly.

When we change the van if I feel really tight fisted I could take the SOG with me to the new van:RollEyes:

My other point is that the SOG or it's diy version will save messing around with chemicals and save on storage space and time and is truly eco friendly.:thumb:

20. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

basically yes...

I modified a SOG for a friend, re routed the exhaust pipe up to the roof.. main reason was his cassette door was next to the hab door..

to work without a fan it may need to be a larger dia pipe.. yanks use a solid PVC pipe of about 1 1/2" dia. . so there is plenty of natural draught..