green diesel

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by lebesset, Aug 15, 2009.

1. lebesset

lebesset Read Only Funster

after much thought ~I purchased a motorhome with a TDi engine rather than a common rail jtd
    I admit that the main reason was that , living in the back of beyond , there is no one who would be capable of dealing with the common rail engine for 100 miles , the local fiat car agency went white at the thought of it , and they are 40 miles away in any case

anyway , one fringe benefit is that I could countenance using some reclaimed chip oil ...I was recently near chelmsford having my axle weights checked when fully laden , and on the same industrial estate came across someone selling the aforesaid diesel

so , in for a penny , in for -20p a litre so I put in enough to give me a 50% mixture , toe in the water so to speak
    and , so far so good ....no noticeable difference in performance , starts perfectly as before
    consumption ? no idea ....as I am currently grinding around central london in 1st and 2nd it would be a bit meaningless as I don't normally do this

anyone else been down this route ?

oh , and axle weights ? thread on tyre pressures to follow when I get round to sorting it out !:BigGrin:

2. johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite Read Only Funster

:Doh: I tried some in my 1989 Kontiki last year. It started smoking like crazy. In fact it's neve stopped since even though I have had several tank fulls of fuel through it. :Blush:

3. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

Just be aware that Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs may just be interested in you using ANY type of fuel in a road vehicle that does not have duty paid.

Steve

4. johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite Read Only Funster

:RollEyes: To buy from a legal supply isn't a problem. You can also produce for own use 2,500 litres. No tax to pay but you must register. :Wink:

5. steveclecy

All I would say is be very cautious. Read the official HMRC advice here. Just like the police can seize a vehicle being used without insurance, HMRC can remove your vehicle if found using fuel with no duty paid on UK roads.

Steve

6. Andy - V8 Diesel

Andy - V8 Diesel Read Only Funster

Boought my own machine for making 100% bio-diesel best thing i ever did collect old oil put in machine mix and 24hrs i have 100litres ready on with my next batch all good clean and does not damage your engine if made properly:thumb:

cheap as chips:Eeek::thumb:

7. ingram

ingram Read Only Funster

No, you don't need to register since last year, or maybe 2007.

Harvey

8. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

I have a filtration system going spare if anyone interested, make me an offer.

9. lebesset

lebesset Read Only Funster

well , actually I was more interested in the technical / performance aspect rather than legal

the guy I bought from has set up a 2 pump service station , charges VAT etc

in any case how on earth could the customs and excise ascertain whether or not the biofuel in my tank has had the required taxes paid or not! it's not like red diesel , illegal to use it !!!!

and am I correct that biodiesel is being sold in orthodox filling ststions in uk ....how the devil would customs and excise know WHERE I bought it ? this seems to me to be scaremongering

10. Andy 01424

Andy 01424 Read Only Funster

11. The Wallace

The Wallace Read Only Funster

There appears to be an ongoing confusion between Bio Diesel and diesel substitute in the form of filtered old chip pan veggie oil.
    The 2 are not interchangeable in that modern engines can use proper Bio Diesel (which may just be well filtered chip pan oil with additives to give the same characteristics as diesel in terms of viscosity ) but they will not survive even new off the shelf Asda veggie oil.

My old Merc engine is happy on a 50/50 diesel/new veggie oil mix in summer and smells loverly but I suspect it might even run on well powdered coal dust. Regular oil changes reduce the documented problem of sump oil turning to jelly after prolonged usage.
    It is amazing how Asda veggie oil prices tend to fluctuate in line with their diesel pump price!

I agree that there is a lot of scaremongering re the legalities. Unlike re filling Calor cylinders veggie oil will only kill engines, not bystanders, so in the scale of things it's not such a crime (not that Revenue and Customs may see it that way).

12. steveclecy

The OP was discussing the practicalities of using reclaimed "chip oil" as a road fuel, and I think we can be pretty confident that even if that forms some constituent part of Morrisons supply, it will be a highly refined and relatively insignificant proportion.

At the risk of being accused once again of being a "scaremongerer", I reiterate caution in the use of Waste Vegetable Oil (WVO) or Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) as road fuel in the UK.

Have a read of the Wikipedia article here. In particular, the legal implications on the use of the oils as a road fuel in the UK. Although it is slightly ambiguous (as Wikipedia can be), the paragraph commences stating that HMRC are charging duty on oils at the full 47 pence per litre that diesel is charged.

Notwithstanding the risks to your engine, take this step at your own peril.

Steve

13. The Wallace

The Wallace Read Only Funster

OR
    From Revenue and customs web site:-

Take this step at your own PERIL???

Not scaremongering?

What IS that smell?