Gravelines and Bruges Xmas market (1 Viewer)

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Just got back from 2 nights in Bruges and one in Gravelines and Gravelines wins hands down in our opinion.
A lot of the stalls were much of a muchness in Bruges. The ice skating stopped at 2000 hrs and then it was just the food stalls open. Lovely town though
Gravelines had a huge big wheel instead of an ice rink, twice as many xmas chalets, a little menagerie, good effort with the snowed out hillside and a much nicer atmosphere. Oh 3 euros 50 for the aire at Gravelines against 19 at Bruges (Yes 19)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just got back from 2 nights in Bruges and one in Gravelines and Gravelines wins hands down in our opinion.
A lot of the stalls were much of a muchness in Bruges. The ice skating stopped at 2000 hrs and then it was just the food stalls open. Lovely town though
Gravelines had a huge big wheel instead of an ice rink, twice as many xmas chalets, a little menagerie, good effort with the snowed out hillside and a much nicer atmosphere. Oh 3 euros 50 for the aire at Gravelines against 19 at Bruges (Yes 19)
Couldn't agree more, we should have been going this weekend but with my recent hospitalisation thought better not to, but for the last two years we have been to all the popular Belgian and French markets within reasonable distance to Calais, and gravelines wins hands down, more of an old time local market than the hyped up fancy ones.:xThumb:

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We went to Bruges for the Christmas market for the first time, a week ago.
Agree that the market wasn't up to much, but the architecture, atmosphere and most of all the BEER made the trip a memorable one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We went to Bruges for the Christmas market for the first time, a week ago.
Agree that the market wasn't up to much, but the architecture, atmosphere and most of all the BEER made the trip a memorable one.
Did you try gravelines?

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
We have just returned after a similar excursion and came to a polar opposite opinion xroll:. Bugge had lots of stalls on both markets selling very christmassy stuff, OK some tat but a lot of nice pieces. Had to visit the Xmas shop whilst we were there (spent far too much) and also a compulsory visit to The Old Chocolate Shop for really fabulous drinking chocolate and cakes.
Gravelines we thought was a very poor shadow of previous years especially the lighting. The impression we had of the stalls was not much christmassy stuff and very poorly displayed, you had to barge your way to the front and then look inside the small cabins.
What may have influenced our view of Gravelines is that the French treat the Xmas market as a social occasion to meet up with old friends and not buy a huge amount. This results in trying to see anything very difficult as there are large groups of people just milling about and having a natter.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We have just returned after a similar excursion and came to a polar opposite opinion xroll:. Bugge had lots of stalls on both markets selling very christmassy stuff, OK some tat but a lot of nice pieces. Had to visit the Xmas shop whilst we were there (spent far too much) and also a compulsory visit to The Old Chocolate Shop for really fabulous drinking chocolate and cakes.
Gravelines we thought was a very poor shadow of previous years especially the lighting. The impression we had of the stalls was not much christmassy stuff and very poorly displayed, you had to barge your way to the front and then look inside the small cabins.
What may have influenced our view of Gravelines is that the French treat the Xmas market as a social occasion to meet up with old friends and not buy a huge amount. This results in trying to see anything very difficult as there are large groups of people just milling about and having a natter.
We have found they are very happy to natter to anyone though, even the English

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Did you try gravelines?
We stayed there overnight on the way there, but it was dark when we arrived so didn't venture into town.
On the way back we stopped at Ypres, which was great.
Will pop into Gravelines town next time we travel if you think its worth a trip?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We stayed there overnight on the way there, but it was dark when we arrived so didn't venture into town.
On the way back we stopped at Ypres, which was great.
Will pop into Gravelines town next time we travel if you think its worth a trip?
Yeah we always go into town, but I was meaning the market.
If you want to add it to your culinary posts , try the restaurant over the water towards Lidl called au cap compass, used to be owned by a large black bloke called Rudy who did all the cooking actually in the room and came round talking to everyone but when we went in September found he had had a heart attack and died but his widow and staff were keeping it going as it was when he was alive. Superb and very reasonable price.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

It's probably worth a couple of visits - there are two half decent restaurants. There isn't much to explore though, an afternoon is more than enough.

We've stayed there on our last night before the tunnel on our last 4 or 5 trips and I have to say I'm thoroughly bored of it now. We'll be looking for somewhere else next time.

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
I was in York last week. Having been to Brug(g)es market, I have to say York was a far more interesting city and nicer market. That's where we shall,go next year.

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I went Brugge last week can honestly say I was disappointed with the Christmas market, once you took out the food and drink stalls not much left. Brugge itself is lovely though and worth the trip.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I went Brugge last week can honestly say I was disappointed with the Christmas market, once you took out the food and drink stalls not much left. Brugge itself is lovely though and worth the trip.
Nothing wrong with Brugge as a town , but much better in summer when you can sit outside the bars and see the sights in sunshine rather than winter cold and mist, if the only reason to go is to see the town I wouldn't go for the market, far better around.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back