Gravelines Aire - Info needed if poss please! (1 Viewer)

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I am taking my 80 year old mother to see the somme/ypres etc over the next few days but we wont be getting over to france until around 9pm Thursday evening. Now i can see 2 aires that appear to be close to calais other than the port aire, 1 is Gravelines and the other is campercontact sitecode 49938 GPS N50.970820 E2.130640 Aire de camping-cars du parc de | Aa

Anybody know the latest you can turn up to Gravelines and is it a case of paying as you enter i.e. barrier or do you have to display a ticket in the front and what forms of payment are accepted? Also how long realisticly to get to from calais port?

also the 2nd aire anybody been here as this seems a bit further but seems very quiet.

we dont need any services just somewhere safe to stop as this is the first outing in a MH for my mother and she can get quite nervouse at times.

Thanks in advance

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Gravelines: There is no 'entrance' as such. Just drive on. Ticket machine is near roadside.
Time is immaterial. If you need the bourne (for filling/emptying) it is a short drive away so best go before or after settling in.

Wyn

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
If you don't need services but somewhere close to the port, we always use Cite Europe. It's safe and accessible to the shops too. I can get you the Co ordinates if you want.

Aug 23, 2011
Huntingdon, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Lyseo 727g
Exp
since 2011
Gravelines aire is no longer than 30 mins or so from the port. Just turn up - there is a meter that you have to pay using a credit card (but there are instructions in English). Take your time with the machine and read the instructions - don't go at it like a bull at a gate like we witnessed some frustrated Brit motorhomer do on our last trip! Citie Europe was fine last time we stopped a few weeks back with plenty of other Brit MH'ers there so Mother may feel safe there.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Gravelines aire is no longer than 30 mins or so from the port. Just turn up - there is a meter that you have to pay using a credit card (but there are instructions in English). Take your time with the machine and read the instructions - don't go at it like a bull at a gate like we witnessed some frustrated Brit motorhomer do on our last trip! Citie Europe was fine last time we stopped a few weeks back with plenty of other Brit MH'ers there so Mother may feel safe there.
Yes, we were there last Friday night plus no charge so no fiddling with C/c and if you haven't got Euro coins, then still not a problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
If you don't need services but somewhere close to the port, we always use Cite Europe. It's safe and accessible to the shops too. I can get you the Co ordinates if you want.
Sure that will be great, thanks

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Yes, we were there last Friday night plus no charge so no fiddling with C/c and if you haven't got Euro coins, then still not a problem.
WHy was there no charge out of interest?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
WHy was there no charge out of interest?
Because it's part of Cite Europe. Not all Aires charge.
They (like towns and villages in France) assume you'll use the facilities or shops whilst you're there. It's like parking at a shopping complex but overnight. Usually plenty of Moho owners there.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Gravelines should be OK for a late arrival on a Thursday. It gets busier at weekends.

Cite Europe MH parking has the benefit of being closer to the port and it has the shopping centre for any extras you might need for your trip. And it's free.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
In your circumstances I would use City Europe, I have stayed there several times and there is a certain amount of peace of mind knowing that there are other Motor-Homers close by and of course it takes just 5 or 10 minutes to get there.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Because it's part of Cite Europe. Not all Aires charge.
They (like towns and villages in France) assume you'll use the facilities or shops whilst you're there. It's like parking at a shopping complex but overnight. Usually plenty of Moho owners there.
Ah i see sorry i thought you were talking about gravelines :), no worries that good to know. Thanks

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
In your circumstances I would use City Europe, I have stayed there several times and there is a certain amount of peace of mind knowing that there are other Motor-Homers close by and of course it takes just 5 or 10 minutes to get there.
Sounds like a better idea and closer which is good, i will take a look but always good to have some backup options :). Thanks for all the assistance.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Are you going on from there and where are you thinking of heading?

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Are you going on from there and where are you thinking of heading?
NO real plan to be honest but will be doing the v2 rocket in calais then thiepvielle (no the correct spelling) where the mass site is, then may be stay some where near there before heading to Ypres on saturday. We are booked in the campsite on sat night in ypres.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
NO real plan to be honest but will be doing the v2 rocket in calais then thiepvielle (no the correct spelling) where the mass site is, then may be stay some where near there before heading to Ypres on saturday. We are booked in the campsite on sat night in ypres.
That's ideal. There are quite a few cemeteries round the Somme and a few years ago, we went to Arromanches because Janets dad landed there on D Day but obviously WW11. They're all very touching.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Your Mum might enjoy Poperinge for a break from the cemeteries, just as the soldiers did in the Great War. The house Toc H, where they came for rest and relaxation is open and on the top floor there is an interesting film show in the very room where they put on silly shows for some light relief. A sit down too! At the end of the tour which is not very long, you can enjoy a lovely cuppa in the pretty garden.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This is also a different sort of thing but all to do with the v2 rockets, never gets mentioned on here but we found it interesting when we went and it's on your route,
http://www.leblockhaus.com/en/
Also stayed at both cite Europe and gravelines many times , personly prefer gravelines for the town bars and stuff but nothing wrong with either(y)
I am taking my 80 year old mother to see the somme/ypres etc over the next few days but we wont be getting over to france until around 9pm Thursday evening. Now i can see 2 aires that appear to be close to calais other than the port aire, 1 is Gravelines and the other is campercontact sitecode 49938 GPS N50.970820 E2.130640 Aire de camping-cars du parc de | Aa

Anybody know the latest you can turn up to Gravelines and is it a case of paying as you enter i.e. barrier or do you have to display a ticket in the front and what forms of payment are accepted? Also how long realisticly to get to from calais port?

also the 2nd aire anybody been here as this seems a bit further but seems very quiet.

we dont need any services just somewhere safe to stop as this is the first outing in a MH for my mother and she can get quite nervouse at times.

Thanks in advance

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Gravelines win hands down as a pretty location over the Citie d'Europe car park, and has the advantage of being a nice town to walk around. Cheep 24 hour fuel near.

On the other hand the Citie d'Europe, is free and nearer the ports/ tunnel, and has the shopping

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
This is also a different sort of thing but all to do with the v2 rockets, never gets mentioned on here but we found it interesting when we went and it's on your route,
http://www.leblockhaus.com/en/
Also stayed at both cite Europe and gravelines many times , personly prefer gravelines for the town bars and stuff but nothing wrong with either(y)
Nothing wrong with either as you say. Citè Europe is the carpark of the shopping mall, Gravelines is a nicer location though. It is on the riverbank by a marina and has a lovely town at the end of the road. It's great to watch the boats on the river and the cormorants and herons along the riverside.

Wyn

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Nothing wrong with either as you say. Citè Europe is the carpark of the shopping mall, Gravelines is a nicer location though. It is on the riverbank by a marina and has a lovely town at the end of the road. It's great to watch the boats on the river and the cormorants and herons along the riverside.

Wyn
Couldn't agree more but I'm sure by now most people on here are fed up to the back teeth of me extolling the benefits of gravelines;):)

Reactions: zac

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Your Mum might enjoy Poperinge for a break from the cemeteries, just as the soldiers did in the Great War. The house Toc H, where they came for rest and relaxation is open and on the top floor there is an interesting film show in the very room where they put on silly shows for some light relief. A sit down too! At the end of the tour which is not very long, you can enjoy a lovely cuppa in the pretty garden.
Thought I would give you a link to website for opening hours, closed on Mondays
http://www.greatwar.co.uk/ypres-salient/museum-talbot-house.htm

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
With the added benefit of regular patrols by the Gendarmes. Never been to Gravelines, so cannot comment. We went from Citie Europe to Dunkirk beach.

Andy H

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
IH Tio Savanah PVC
Exp
We used both on our recent first trip over Easter. Both were fine. Graviline was the nicer spot. Was floodlit all night, and had regular patrols by gendarmerie and also saw marina security a couple of times. When we were at Graveline ticket machine was broken so didn't have to pay. Plenty of cashpoint in town if you need them.

Andy

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
We used both on our recent first trip over Easter. Both were fine. Graviline was the nicer spot. Was floodlit all night, and had regular patrols by gendarmerie and also saw marina security a couple of times. When we were at Graveline ticket machine was broken so didn't have to pay. Plenty of cashpoint in town if you need them.

Andy
Brilliant thanks, setting off later so hopefully all will go to plan.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Was floodlit all night, and had regular patrols by gendarmerie Plenty of cashpoint in town if you need them.

Andy
As , it must said ,has cite Europe , but for a much better place for restaurants and bars and stuff it has to be gravelines.(y):)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back