Grantown to Braemar

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by DavidG58, Jan 18, 2014.

1. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

we are on our way back down to Grantown site tomorrow from Durness for 2 nights, then a couple more nights at Braemar. I have never driven over the Tomintoul road, logic would say stay well clear in winter, but as the weather is hardly cold can I have local opinion on this route this week please

Narrow roads not an issue, keeping your eyes open and making good and proper use of passing places works very well, it is the risk of ice that would concern me

The option looks like around 50 miles further via Keith then cross country or nearly 100 miles further via Keith then Aberdeen

David

2. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

Sorry can't help with road conditions but love Breamar. The CC site there is excellent, super warm facilities and a drying room it will be open this time of year too. Also there is a great place to get a meal (sorry cannot remember the name), it's a hotel over looking the Highland games field. Have a great time.

• Like Like x 1
  3. chrisinplymouth

chrisinplymouth Funster

Hi David

Just check the weather forecast. I have driven that road a couple of times in a car whilst on holiday in February 2009 and 2007. It's not that narrow compared with some of the single track roads with passing places towards the north of Scotland.

The road passes the lecht ski centre and is kept clear to allow access for skiers.

Unless the forecast warns against it I would think you would be fine.

Hope this helps

Chris

• Like Like x 1
  4. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

No forecast for snow road is good and been over it in MH several times and no problem currently at aCL at Banchory and May go back to Elgin that way tomorrow just for the run
    It's a better road than the one from Keith

• Like Like x 1