GPS SIGNAL (1 Viewer)

Apr 12, 2018
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
Hi can I use GPS UNIT to plug in to my radio to get radio programs instead of drilling holes in MH or alternative Ariel as I got bad reception at 40/50 MPH THANKS

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Hi can I use GPS UNIT to plug in to my radio to get radio programs instead of drilling holes in MH or alternative Ariel as I got bad reception at 40/50 MPH THANKS
Where is your current aerial…..? :unsure:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
No. The radio is looking for an antenna in specific bands. The GPS is looking for satellite positioning information.

It might work, but extremely unlikely.

If you are losing radio at a specific speed it implies something is creating a blocking electromagnetic field at that speed, possibly the alternator. Can you move the antenna to another position?

Some inbuilt radio antenna need phantom power to work. Is it possible that vibration at that speed is causing a connection break? Check and clean the connections with a good contact cleaner or isopropanol (Not WD40).

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
The Wino has the solution, stream radio, preferably via Bluetooth to your cab radio.
Stable connection (mostly), no interference and just the occasional gap in reception.

OP
OP
Apr 12, 2018
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
Hi the aerial is stuck on Winscreen as a add on I don’t use satnav MH IS A CLASS RAPIDO 2004 thanks

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Then it's a simple dipole probably with an amplifier out of site. That amplifier needs 12V power to work. Sometimes the head unit sends the power over the coax, Phantom power) others it needs a 12V feed. As suggested above, pull the head unit out and check and clean the connections especially, as is likely, if the amplifier (a small usually black plastic box) is tucked behind there. As it seems speed related, then vibration harmonics happen at different speeds, so quite possible that a cable or like starts vibrating at a specific speed making and breaking the connection.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back