Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I've transcribed this from another thread as it seems appropriare:-

Wow! Here's a surprise. I decided to buy this unit. I needed to 'modify' the dashboard slightly to accommodate it but apart from that installation was relatively straightforward. It all works very well apart from the fact that it cannot recognise its GPS Antenna. I wonder if it is faulty. I wonder if there is a way to test it?

Now here's the surprise. The mapping is held on an SD Card. The one supplied is American. I tried replacing it with the one from the cheapo Chinese satnav, you know, the one that allows vehicle size specification, and guess what? IT WORKS! It even has all the data like our 'favourites' 'recent destinations' etc. Very pleased.

Now just need to sort out the GPS Antenna problem and It'll be perfect.

Wyn

OP
OP
WynandJean

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Aha! Here is the problem. I have the SD Card that was provided with the unit. That contains the UK mapping and also the software for locating the GPS antenna. That's all well and good but my other SD Card has all my European maps including the Truckers' maps allowing dimensions to be specified. However it does not have the capability to locate the GPS Antenna so if I swap the cards it cannot access GPS. I could do with either moving the file that locates the GPS Antenna to card no. 2 or moving my maps etc to card no. 1. I tried putting them on the same card but that didn't work.

Wyn

OP
OP
WynandJean

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I imagine one of the satnav gurus such as @lunarman might know but maybe he's on holiday - most people are at present!

Wyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
WynandJean

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I am 'bumping' this thread as I've had no response and will need it in the next few days.

Does any body have any advice about where to get satnav help?

Wyn

OP
OP
WynandJean

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
[QUOTE="StitchesnFluff, post: 1988288, member: 33868"
Your posts are very faint by the way?[/QUOTE]
I'm pressing as hard as I can. :LOL:

Wyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It might help if you gave the make and model of the satnav. Does it have an external GPS antenna like some dashcams do? If it is internal I can only suggest trying a factory reset, if that can be done.

And I suggest trying black not green ink. I saw this post some time ago but couldn't be bothered to make the effort to read it because it was so feint. Hope you don't mind me mentioning this! :)

OP
OP
WynandJean

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Aha, dunnit! My problem was this. The mapping as supplied by the sellers did not work at first. I contacted them and they replied that the settings for the GPS antenna needed altering to Port 1 at a baud rate of 9800. This was easily done with the setup on their SD card. This was fine for UK use, however I have another SD card with full European maps allowing vehicle dimentions to be specified (trucker style). While these maps could be loaded in there was nothing in that menu that gave access to the GPS antenna - it just kept searching for it.

After a lot of effort trying to find how I could set the port number and baud rate I came to the conclusion it was not possible. In desperation I found myself on a forum page from New Zealand about satnavs. I started following a thread about someone having a similar problem and buried somewhere in the thread was the solution. Following what I had read I took the SD card and put it into the computer. I was able to open the individual files and found one containing the SD SETTINGS. I was able to alter the baud rate here (it was set to 4800) it was just a matter of changing the 4 to a 9. It was already set to port 1. I put the SD card in and 'hey presto' it worked instantly. I am so relieved! :rolleyes:

Wyn

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back