GPL (LPG/Autogas) Spain (2 Viewers)

Jan 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
AutoSleepers
We are meandering down Spain and had the experience of being refused GPL for our campervan. ‘For engine only’ they say; ‘not for van’. My wife understands this is a problem with Repsol petrol stations only but when I remonstrated to a very friendly pump assistant he went into the office and came out with a piece of paper in English saying that by ‘Royal Warrant’ (intimidated? Me? 😀) they could not supply van systems.

In the past, Repsol was our first call for gas but, apparently, no more. All is not lost as we found another company prepared to help us. Just don’t be discouraged if Repsol say ‘no’.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
It's not all Repsol garages, we live in Spain and not had a problem, but reading Spanish motorhome forums some have, 😉 but like the UK and other countries they also supply and fit refillable systems here. 😁 Bob.

Jul 13, 2022
Tarragona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
I also refill LPG for the van regularly at a Repsol gas station next to my place, and I have never had any problems, except remembering how to proceed each time 😅
Where did this happen?

Edit: I've done some research.
Maybe you already knew that (I didn't), but the OP was informed correctly
In Spain (as in most European countries and UK?, I think now) the law only allows refueling LPG as fuel for the engine.
This is why gas stations may refuse to fill our motorhomes with LPG for domestic use.
As a curiosity, the laws in Spain have the format of a "royal decree", that is what the gas station employee was referring to when explaining why he could not supply LPG to the OP.

Last edited:

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
We filled up in Spain the attendant did come out I pointed to engine we are a PVC with filler on the side rear of the van
Can’t help thinking if we had a locker we might have been refused

OP
OP
Mike Hawkins
Jan 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
AutoSleepers
We are meandering down Spain and had the experience of being refused GPL for our campervan. ‘For engine only’ they say; ‘not for van’. My wife understands this is a problem with Repsol petrol stations only but when I remonstrated to a very friendly pump assistant he went into the office and came out with a piece of paper in English saying that by ‘Royal Warrant’ (intimidated? Me? 😀) they could not supply van systems.

In the past, Repsol was our first call for gas but, apparently, no more. All is not lost as we found another company prepared to help us. Just don’t be discouraged if Repsol say ‘no’.
Thanks everyone for your replies. We were/are in the North (La Rioca & Castillo y Leon) but will do likewise and continue to try our luck with Repsol. I have the loading point in the side of the van and is an OEM installation.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Earlier in the year we too had an encounter with a (new) Repsol station and had the same message that it’s for propulsion only. 👍

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As said illegal in most European countries but you rarely get refused only places we have Been refused is once it Portugal & once in Italy.

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
Three refusals in Spain this trip.
At one pump I 'self served' quickly on the basis that they can't take it out and got a mouthful from the attendant.
External filler, underslung tank.

Despite reassurances on here, it is getting more difficult. Seriously considering changing our fridge, which is our heaviest gas demand.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
We were refused a number of times in Italy a few months back. Ended up waiting until we got back to Germany to top up.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
So am I reading this correctly
Refillable Gaslow type LPG/GPL for heating and cooking cannot legally be refilled in EU ?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
So am I reading this correctly
Refillable Gaslow type LPG/GPL for heating and cooking cannot legally be refilled in EU ?
Not quite, just just can't legally fill at a petrol station.
Legal to fill at other places if you can find them. :LOL:

Last edited:

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Thanks for Heads up....never had a problem in Spain....Afterall why should I, my Hymer is LPG fuelled....there are not many, but we are fortunate to have one....
I suppose I won't have too much problem convincing the attendant just as much as I've convinced you guys who are reading this...😂😂😂😂😂👍🇪🇦

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Never had a problem with the RV but it is lpg/petrol, still got a domestic tank so I fill both if needed.

TechnoDude

Free Member
Mar 27, 2024
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 125
I thought you could fill Gaslow in europe as long as the connection was fitted to the exterior of the MH... ie; you can't open the gas locker and fill the bottle directly. ??

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I thought you could fill Gaslow in europe as long as the connection was fitted to the exterior of the MH... ie; you can't open the gas locker and fill the bottle directly. ??

No, you’re mistaken, SOME Repsol stations in Spain are refusing to fill motorhomes irrespective of where the filler socket is. It isn’t widespread and we can but hope it stays that way.

Ian

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
all countries have different rules.

OP
OP
Mike Hawkins
Jan 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
AutoSleepers
No, you’re mistaken, SOME Repsol stations in Spain are refusing to fill motorhomes irrespective of where the filler socket is. It isn’t widespread and we can but hope it stays that way.

Ian
In our experience it seemed to be in the NW of Spain (La Rioja)

Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
all countries have different rules.
I think if you read all the threads the issue is all the EU countries now have the SAME rule.
Petrol stations LPG is for LPG engines only, not motorhome/domestic use.
Get a couple of these and replace the Diesel Turbo ones?
LPG.jpg

Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
I think if you read all the threads the issue is all the EU countries now have the SAME rule.
Petrol stations LPG is for LPG engines only, not motorhome/domestic use.
Get a couple of these and replace the Diesel Turbo ones?
View attachment 880245
I’m not sure why you’re saying this. We have been away for three months and in both France and Spain we have had no issues at all, in fact at Repsol garages attendants have come over and helped us.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I’m not sure why you’re saying this. We have been away for three months and in both France and Spain we have had no issues at all, in fact at Repsol garages attendants have come over and helped us.
He is stating the legal position it's always been illegal to fill hab tanks/bottles at garages. in Spain.

Just because you have done it it doesn't make it legal, luckily for us most garages don't enforce it.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

Nobody is saying that refusals are prevalent, only that it happens occasionally.

Personally, in 15 years of travelling, it has happened to us only once (last year). This year, we haven’t had any issues, but then, we've avoided Repsol garages.

Ian

Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
I'm saying it because it is the legal situation. If a garage chooses to not to apply the law then you may have filled up.
1 of many articles, google will translate if you do not read French:

As the EU push ICE ban they need to secure the LPG for propulsion and that started a few years ago.
In Spain 2022 and most LPG pump had "Solo Autogas" label on pump, filled up several time, we were only
stopped once. The pump had a remote release control inside the booth and they would not let us use it.
One can only hope/presume that an alternative network for supplying LPG for leisure is established.
That said as LPG is a by product of Petrol production if they reduce the demand/stop petrol production, where will
the LPG come from? Bio LPG?

Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
OK so it’s illegal I accept that.

I only wished to inform others of the current prevailing situation, as I’ve experienced it, over the last 7 years. In my mind that’s more relevant than the law when bumbling around the continent.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back