Going vegetarian

Discussion in 'Cooking' started by haganap, Apr 10, 2013.

1. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Not quite,

But I have decided I will no longer eat meat. Mostly because of my love of animals and because the appalling way in which some of us are/have been eating Hal al meat and horse and god knows what ever else sold as meat.

Just wondering if any other vegetarians might offer some tips on what you eat in the motorhome.

• Like Like x 3
  2. paulus the woodgnome

paulus the woodgnome Read Only Funster

You chicken

3. tofo

tofo Funster

FB pies i hear from some quaters
    sorry it was an answer thatcouldnt be resisted

but your quest is a hard path to follow

its bacon what gets you

but then i am biased as a carnivore

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

4. bungy

bungy Funster

so whats your pre race pizza going to be now then???

5. haganap

Treble cheese and Pineapple :BigGrin:

With garlic bread,

As you and Clare would know, it's a tough path for me to follow as I'm so limited with my diet anyway.

But no more bacon butties for me, I'll let you have mine..

6. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

I have never eaten red meat, white meat or poultry. I detest the stuff. I do however eat fish. What does that make me?
    When i was a child, if my mum cooked chicken, i would run away, the smell made me sick. I would run errands for my mum, but i would not, under any circumstances, go to the butchers for her.
    Chicken smell still makes me feel sick. And I wouldn't eat a steak to save my life. Nor lamb, pork, or any beef products.
    My Christmas dinner will consist of all the veg, spuds (as long as they haven't been near the turkey), and a piece of fish. No gravy either, i hate that stuff too!
    People will say, "well what do you eat"? Easy, everything except gravy, and just swap any meat for fish, simple.

Craig

• Like Like x 1
  7. PaulyP

PaulyP Funster

My daughter went veggie at 11 year old, mother in law said its just a phase, still a veggie and about to run the manchester marathon at the age if 40, along with her brother aged 42 ( he's not a veggie).
    Neither i or my wife are veggies, but we dont eat much red meat either.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ROB1CHELSEA1

ROB1CHELSEA1 Funster

I made a shepherds pie for Janes brothers who are all big meat eaters, i used quorn mince instead of real mince and they never noticed:thumb:

I made another one a few weeks later and was heading out of the house down a few stairs to take it over to them.............tripped over jane's boots and ended up wearing it:Doh:sheherds pie everywhere:Rofl1::shout:

• Like Like x 1
  9. paulus the woodgnome

Di is a veggie but as I keep telling her but they are not fish cakes fishless FISH cakes are not FISH cakes they are soya cakes

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  10. haganap

my son has been a veggie for some years, now, he is 14 coming 15. We too said it was a phase but deffinately not.

Never tried quorn but looks like im about too.

I will eat fish,

I will still eat some products, just really not eating meat. :Smile:

11. paulus the woodgnome

As I say to di quorn naked chicken is not chicken it is soya with no clothes on:Rofl1:

Attached Files:

12. maz

maz Funster

Same as the vegetarian meals I used to cook before I swapped bricks for wheels. :Smile:

Vegetarian food doesn't have to be boring. It certainly doesn't have to be 'meat and two veg' without the meat. Herbs and spices make a big difference. Pasta bakes with cheesy breadcrumb toppings are fairly quick and easy - and rather more-ish. My favourite dish is a spiced vegetable and rice tian with crispy Parmesan/breadcrumb/ground almond topping. That one does take a little while to cook but there's nothing difficult about it - otherwise I wouldn't be able to cook it. :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2
  13. campa cola

campa cola Funster

well...er that makes you a fishetarian or demi-vegetarian! I have been a strict demi veg for 1.5 years, but I must admit to eating some meat recently and felt a lot more energetic......I have a good balanced diet but I am going to eat meat about once every 7-10 days.

I agree with you haganap about halal meat, its a scandal, most people dont know they are even eating it, but if you go to a curry place you probably will be.

• Like Like x 1
  14. The Dude

The Dude Funster

I've been a pescatarian (don't eat meat, but eat fish) for over 30 years now, and honestly it's easy even though husband is a meat eater. When he has sausages I have Linda McCartney veggie sausages, when he has chicken I have Quorn fillets, when he has bacon butties
    I have......... err Weetabix. However I have served Chilli, Lasagne and Shepherds pie made with quorn mince several times to non-veggies and they couldn't tell the difference. Also make vegetable stews thickened with vegetable gravy mix.

• Like Like x 2
  15. JohnH

JohnH Funster

It makes you a Pescetarian. My youngest son is one and does not have problems varying his diet or getting enough of most vitamins and minerals. The only thing he does not get enough of is iron in his diet.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Kevinthecat

Kevinthecat Funster

I will only use quorn mince and not meat , it makes a great chilli, spag bol . I saw a programme a short while back where they analysed one supermarket meat ball and found the DNA of 70 animals in it :Eeek: I'm not a vegie but just very aware of what I eat (Hardly any red meat) BTW don't forget pork is red meat.
    I often use the Cranks cook book and there are many quick practical recipes in there for motorhoming. :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  17. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Cigarettes and meat are two addictions I can't kick...

I have a Vegan friend who made this interesting point though. I probably can't explain it as eloquently as her unfortunately.

If you don't eat meat but use other animal based products aren't you encouraging farming of animals anyway?

ie if you wear leather, shoes, belts, coats etc. you are encouraging the farming of animals for those products and if everyone was a vegetarian the animals meat would be wasted.

Bah. It was better than that the way she explained it. She is a full blown vegan and has been for 30 years. I tried her diet with the aim of not having any animal products at all in my diet for 2 weeks. Not only is it hard to do from a shopping point of view it is unbelievably hard on the digestion... But I have so much respect for her though.

I have gone the opposite way. I prefer to use the whole animal and very little gets wasted. I do avoid eye balls, tripe and balls though.

Good luck with your partial veggie experiment :thumb:
    I will stick to being a salad dodger, meatatarian.

I do have to say though I am now extremely partial to spicey bean burgers since that experiment...

• Like Like x 2
  18. Jez and Lin

Jez and Lin Funster Life Member

Sainsbury's soya range are great. Burgers & meatballs especially, you honestly cannot tell the difference between them and meat. I only eat Chicken (free range) and fish now and feel much better for it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. The Dude

The Dude Funster

Forgot to mention in previous post - Sainsburys and most other big chains sell something called Beanfeast - it's in a packet and you can get a couple of different flavours - Chilli and Bolognaise I think. Anyway, because it's dried and in packets they take up very little space in the MH and have a very long shelf life - you just add water and simmer for 15 mins or so. Great fillers for baked potatoes.

• Like Like x 2
  20. snailtrailer

snailtrailer Funster

Remember Chester?

You won't be starting this until you've eaten all those delicious sausages you bought at Chester, will you Paul? or are you donating them to the next barbecue?:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1: