Going to France? warning!

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by yodeli, Jun 19, 2013.

1. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Haute Pyrénées and Haute Garonne (where I live) in a bit of a shock this morning!

Yesterday evening a few departement were given a warning about possible floods! Orange alert they said ...yeah right (mind you I happened to listen to local radio and was aware of red alert instead!!)

A complete disaster this morning... a few towns (Lourdes to name one you could know)being completly flooded!

A lot of tourists just as locals were either trapped or saved by the firefighters or even taken away by helicopter!

If you intend to go or are already in France , be aware that the red alert is maintained down the atlantic coast !! Red alert is not a joke... Stay where you are or you'll have to face terrible floods without knowing whether you'll escape the danger!!! All campsites will be shut in any case , so if you've booked no one will be angry if you're not getting there in time. Just stay safe , don't give more work!

Northern part of France is now on orange alert too.

Use this link to know where to go/stay or where NOT to go!

http://www.maxisciences.com/alerte-...rs-en-vigilance-orange-et-rouge_art29879.html

What it looks like

http://midi-pyrenees.france3.fr/201...-de-la-situation-en-midi-pyrenees-272279.html

Frankie

• Like Like x 19
  2. Coolbeanz

Coolbeanz Funster

Blimey, I hope it improves soon. We are off to France next weekend for Le Tour and was planning on watching one of the Pyrenees stages. May have to have a back up plan. :Sad:

3. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

I'm on the Atlantic coast and its been rather wet here for the past few days.:cry: Thanks for the information Frankie.:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  4. bungy

bungy Funster

that's our plans changed (again) - we are (were) heading down that way!! our second option was the south west on the med but that looks iffy now...:cry:

5. Momo

Momo Funster

• Like Like x 2
  6. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

We will be heading down through Belgium and Luxembourg en route for Italy on Friday. Are there any reports of flooding in that neck of the woods please?
    :helptitanic::rain::rain:

7. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

Timely post! We are in the Jura and I think we will stay in the East. Wow!

Steve

8. Phill D

Phill D

Thanks for the warning frankie, we are near macon and thinking of diverting to the west to make our way north. shall now stay well and truly clear.

9. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

We are currently at Agde and due to head towards Toulouse and continue north to the Dordogne. I wonder if we will be affected?
    Wyn

10. yodeli

Well Bungy just be patient for one or 2 more days then you should be able to drive down there safely!
    I'll keep you informed.

Frankie:Smile:

11. yodeli

Belgium will be sunny tomorrow but then you'll get into France and this is the updated map of the alerts at 4.00pm today

http://france.meteofrance.com/vigilance/Accueil

I would do it but slowly , I don't think it will be very risky . May be you could make your way through towns where there is no river to flood the area? You surely have a map with you to help:Wink:

12. yodeli

Yes Jura is one of the safest place at the moment :thumb:

13. yodeli

Will make some searches first to give you the best way to get to Toulouse! Must now go to feed the babies who just woke up of their afternoon nap, so not forgetting you just a bit busy right now !!

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

14. yodeli

Ok you shouldn't have any trouble getting to Toulouse using either the motorway or the national road n°113.

Here is the last report about the departement of AUDE where Agde is. It says no problem to drive through the departement, be careful though.

Scroll down a bit , and you'll find a link (INFOROUTE11) to a map telling you if any danger at all.

You even have the speed trackers on it:Wink:

Safe travel ...oh and if you're fed up with the rain you can always stop at my place ... I'll dry you up with ...some wine or champagne...or both:BigGrin::BigGrin:

Amicalement

Frankie:Wink:

• Like Like x 2
  15. WAG2CRU

WAG2CRU Read Only Funster

Hi Frankie

We are coming over on Saturday heading down to Perpignan, I have been watching Meteo France, we are hoping that the storms will have moved away by the weekend!
    Thanks for the warnings.

Bob & Lesley

16. yodeli

I do hope that this awful weather will turn into a warm and sunny one! Meteo France should be the best site to keep you informed on how things go!

And of course you're also welcome to Balma if you want to drink ....what will be left by the previous visitors :Laughing:

Amicalement

ps: still pouring down here .... yukkk

17. yodeli

Poor you .... not what you would expect coming to France ... Well you'll have to join the french and cross your fingers.... may be the Lucky charm will work!

Amicalement

18. aileenc

aileenc Read Only Funster

The Lot area

We were in Carlucet, near Rocamadour until this morning, last night we had a severe storm, I can only describe the hailstones as being the size of golf balls! Our Motorhome looks like its been through a war, canon ball dents all over one side so big insurance claim now. Most of the Vans on the site were damaged, tents ripped to shreads, needless to say most of us left this morning and we decided to head for Provence, got to say when we left weather was iffy for half hour on the motorway but then cleared up and we had a really good journey down. So nice to see the Sunshine again! We are going back to Carlucet on Monday so hopefully weather will be a bit better then!

19. milpol1

milpol1 Read Only Funster

Surely without dampening your post, insurance will not pay out as its a natural happening in the world of weather?

20. yodeli

Well ... French insurances do, why English would not? It's called "catastrophes naturelles".
    A few years ago my parents had their car and caravan completly spoilt by a hailstorm, insurance paid for all the repairs

Amicalement