Go To Last Post button

Discussion in 'Site Feedback & Suggestions' started by scotjimland, Jul 18, 2009.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

May I suggest that the 'Go To Last Post' button is removed.. or disabled..

This would stop people who are too lazy to read the original post then go off topic or repeat information already provided in the first few posts..

For those who have already posted or read, the 'Go To First New Post' button is available.

what do others think ?

Jim

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  2. moandick

moandick Read Only Funster

I agree that it is frustrating when somebody comes in at the tail end of a conversation with a question that was posted and answered on the first page (for example) but what I find even more frustrating is when the same subject comes back every couple of months - (driving licences, A Frames etc., etc., etc.)

I would like to see every post put through a 'grilling' to see if it has already been posted and answered previously. :Eeek:

3. American Dream

American Dream Read Only Funster

Sounds like a great idea.

Or an auto search function in the forum that looks for related threads and posts the associated links automatically when the question is posted using keywords. Is that possible or would it throw up too many unrelated threads? Would have to eliminate all the normally used words like and, the, it, etc?

Sorry Jim...Back on topic...I never use the Last Post button.

4. slickmouse

slickmouse Read Only Funster

What last post button?? Anyhoo what was the topic ?

5. sinbad1

sinbad1 Deleted User

I agree these issues can be annoying

I don't personally think removing the last button is going to make any diference to those lazy posters or the one's that go off topic, something that happens on most forums.

A lot of topic's are repeated, again some are too lazy to use the search facility.A lot of these are from newbie's perhaps unaware of the search function. I have no problem answering the problem to newbie's, afterall we all asked these questions when we first started motorhoming.

I think it would be a good idea to remove the view post options, where you can edit to see the latest post first, i would suspect many have it set this way?

Regards

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2009
  6. Tony Lee

Tony Lee Read Only Funster

Since you have raised the subject - we all have our little likes and dislikes. For instance, I detest elaborate signatures with trite sayings that I have seen used many times before. Signatures with TWO trite sayings are just the pits. I also dislike overuse, or in fact even any use, of silly emoticons that people use in place of the English language. Why some of the ones available are still there is nothing more than a demonstration of bad taste regardless of whether they are used or not. Normally I wouldn't comment because it is a feature of the forum that people are entitled to use regardless of its usefulness - but as I said, since we are having a whinge ...

BUT I certainly have no objection to newcomers asking the same questions that many of the 'oldies' asked when they joined their first RV forum. Isn't that what a forum is for - to let newcomers hear the words of wisdom from those who have already made all of the same mistakes themselves. Everyone feels that their problem is unique to them and it is also probably unique to many others as well, so in the interests of their education AND as often as not, MY education, I have no problems with trying to help them enjoy their chosen lifestyle. If some members find them so tiresome, I'm surprised they still hang around because the majority of posts must drive them barmy.

7. scotjimland

Your right, it won't stop off topic in the post but it will stop the lazy ones from jumping in with both feet without at least reading the OP ..

What useful purpose does the Last Post button serve ? It's like opening a book, reading the last page then giving an opinion .. :Doh:

As far as repeat questions are can concerned at least we have the option to ignore.. but there is nothing more annoying than a poster who jumps in with both feet and posts a whole page of unrelated drivel .. or repeats what has already been said several times..

I think the forum is getting too big for self moderation, yes, I know the pitfalls of having mods, but Jim and Bryan can't be expected to read every thread..

8. sinbad1

sinbad1 Deleted User

Well i guess the only use for the" last post button" would be is for those that have read the book and seek the latest posts;but as i said in my last post if you have set the view options to read the latest post first ,then you are right it has no use.

Moderation can work depends how its done.

Could be a job Jim:BigGrin:

9. keith

keith Funster

I don't agree Jim.

I use it all the time as I don't want to sort through all the (sometimes irrelevant posts I have already read) to find the last post I read on the topic.

I say leave it because it saves time. I am not on the forum all the time and this facility is one of the most useful when you want to catch up.

If it could be as you suggest only available when you have read the post I think that could be OK but that will depend on the system being able to do it.

10. scotjimland

but you have that facility with the Go To First NEW Post . button ..

11. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

So you need a switch, may I post a code fragment:

if ( dickhead ) then display_lastpost = FALSE;
    else display_lastpost = TRUE;

How about that ?

12. keith

keith Funster

I could have missed many other posts by doing that because I'm not on-line all the time. Maybe that's the button that needs removing as you can just clink on that and go to the last post not knowing what has gone before!!

Now I'm getting confused. Which one are you suggesting is removed Jim?

13. keith

keith Funster

14. scotjimland

No problem..

I was just going to upload a pic.. so here it is anyway :Laughing:

15. skylark_irl

skylark_irl Read Only Funster

I did read the all before you ask, but there's no way I'd like to have to read all the 5,800 posts in the Word Association thread just so I could add one word (and just cos I can put in smileys ):Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

The last post button has it's uses!

16. scotjimland

riveting reading I'm sure :RollEyes:

but you'll never know what new words you may have missed.. :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

17. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

am I being thick? where is the goto first /last post button, never seen it.

18. keith

keith Funster

Thanks Jim, I get better after the 3rd bottle of wine. :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

19. sinbad1

sinbad1 Deleted User

Should have gone to specksavers :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Home page

20. staging lady

staging lady Funster

Thanks, Jim, for the thumbnail of the posts.
    I never knew there was a first/last post button. :Doh: You learn something new everyday!

Sorry, Tony, I don't agree with your dislike of emoticons. I don't use them instead of using the English language, but to enhance or to emphasise some aspect of my post. Also I think they can add humour or diffuse a tense argument.
    That's what makes this site great- everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion and is able to express it.
    Lucille