Gloucester Services M5 (Northbound) How long?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by emmitdb, Jul 14, 2014.

1. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Greetings,

This weekend we travelled up to Stafford to see our Granddaughter (and Jim at the show!!!)

On our way, we stopped at the new, privately owned (apparently completely financed by a local farmer) Gloucester Services on the M5.

The first thing that struck me was the absence of any signage that threatened arrivals with dire consequences should they stay longer than the usual two hours. The place was heaving with customers in cars etc. but only one motorhome. Spend £30 and you can get the diesel down to a nearly reasonable £1.36 a litre (ie 10p per litre off)

Lets see how long it takes for someone to wreck the only opportunity for those coming up from the 'Pointy End' to park up for a few hours kip or rest , by disposing of grey, black or any other kind of detritus to the upset of all.

2. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

It's the same family that run Tebay Services further north on the M6. That has been rated as the country's best motorway services for many years. Tebay even has a campsite attached, for those wanting a longer stopover - although it does charge campsite prices. You can arrive late though, which makes you very unpopular at a lot of campsites. They also run the J38 Truck & Coach Stop.

I don't know about Gloucester, but the northern ends operate the usual 2 hours free policy, after which there are charges.

• Like Like x 1
  3. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

Drinking water is available at Tebay services and you can use the campsite to dump toilet waste. I do not know the charge for the dump.

M25 Cobham Services has a dump point but no drinking water is available. Charge £5.

Westmoorland Ltd (Tebay services, J38 truck stop and Gloucester services operators) were informed about putting in a service point at Gloucester and they said they would consider it. Has this happened?

4. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

UOTE="John & Joan, post: 1058200, member: 10851"]
    Westmoorland Ltd (Tebay services, J38 truck stop and Gloucester services operators) were informed about putting in a service point at Gloucester and they said they would consider it. Has this happened?[/QUOTE]

Looks like it has. I'm not sure if it is just me but I think the M6 Tebay services isn't as good as it used to be. The southbound was always better than the northbound IMO, staff friendlier and better informed.

It would be nice to see all the motorway services run by local co-operatives and serving / supplying really good food.

I picked up a leaflet at a garden centre (can't find it now of course) containing a list of garden centres with restaurants etc just off motorways. If you were wanting a break from driving it would be a good idea to pull off and use the facilities as they often have food outlets as well as the usual cafe and garden stuff. Obviously not for over-nighting though.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

I don't think it is just you. I've seen a lot of similar comments. It's not a part of the M6 I travel very often, so I don't have any recent personal experience.

I suspect that management may have been spread a bit thin with all the work involved in opening Gloucester. Let's hope they notice & get things back on track. It could be a change of generation too - I would guess the founders are retired by now - or nearly so.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Styx

Styx Read Only Funster

Might it have been this...?
    http://www.thegardencentregroup.co.uk/services/motorway-service-station-alternatives

I also found this which might be useful...
    http://offmotorway.com/

• Like Like x 1
  7. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Yes, that's it Styx. I get fed up with motorway services not being able to provide food for people who need a special diet. Many times I've been left with nothing to eat and just a glass of water to sip when travelling by bus. Complaints just get a shrug - and a letter usually gives vouchers which would be fine if I could actually use them!!!! With the motorhome I can make something for myself of course :) so don't need the overpriced nasty selection motorway services think is acceptable.

• Like Like x 1
  8. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

N.B.

Gloucester Services is Northbound only (at the mo).
    There isn't a Southbound option.

• Like Like x 1