Giving up motorhoming.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Happy Phantom, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Happy Phantom

Happy Phantom Read Only Funster

Hi
    We have sadly come to the conclusion that we need to sell our motorhome and toad. Smart Brabus
    as we have not used it since November and then only for a couple of days. Peter's health has not improved as much as we hoped after heart surgery and we feel we need to draw a line on 24 years of motorhoming and follow a different route which takes into account his disability. The question is where to advertise we thought classified on e bay I will be responsible for demonstrating and explaining vehicle and am happy to do this, do you get a lot of time wasters though? The combined value will be approx. 30K
    advice please.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Cat53

Cat53 Funster

Can't help re experience of selling, but just wanted to wish you both well in whatever comes next. You can post an ad on this site too.

• Like Like x 1
  3. movan

movan Funster Life Member

:( As with Cat, so sorry you have had to come to this decision .. I go through periods where I feel I too may go down that road and then yo yo as to what to do.

I can't help too much but as well as e bay there is THIS site, and also Preloved classifieds. Don't forget to put a sign on the window for sale with a mobile number so hopefully they will call and you can keep any time wasters at bay.

Once Spring comes you may find it easier to sell as when the sun comes out and the weather improves people are more inclined to start thinking about motorhoming.

With any problems you encounter you can still come on here and ask the members if you think something may not be genuine... be really careful...

CAN SOMEONE PUT LINK TO LUGNUTT'S EXPERIENCE PLEASE .. I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO IT .. but that may help re making this lady be aware of people who may not be genuine. Thank you.

• Like Like x 2
  4. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Hello, sorry for you that you are having to give up your motor home

Personally I would sell them separately, quite a few buyers would not want a toad so you would virtually give it away to them, others may already have a motorhome but want a toad

It might be an option to ask a couple of dealers what they would give you as well, if not too much below what you expect / need I would take it from them and have no hassle

Good luck

• Like Like x 6
  5. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 2
  6. Cat53

Cat53 Funster

Gumtree is free to advertise on too. If it was me I would be inclined to ask a neighbour to be present at viewings too. Safety in numbers and all that.

• Like Like x 7
  7. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

You will get tyre kickers and time wasters and smart alecs who think they can nick it off you unfortunately.
    If you don't feel confident to deal with them why not consider a broker lots of dealers do it. Just make sure you agree a set fee before you sign up and also agree terms of any part exchange they may take.
    We sold one like this and have to say it worked very well got the full price we wanted and sold quickly because most people prefer to buy from a dealer.
    Good luck whatever you choose.

• Like Like x 3
  8. donnkim

donnkim Read Only Funster

hi, sorry to hear about your decision - hope everything goes ok for the future.
    I agree - it's hard to sell the toad with motorhome - sell them separately.
    For your motorhome try motorhome depot. they are brokers and will take 10% of the sale value. However, they can sort out all the financial side, store and demonstrate your vehicle or let you do it.
    I had my Burstner with them, after trying to sell it myself and wasting so much time with dreamers.
    regards
    Don

• Like Like x 2
  9. Debs

Debs Funster

I was just thinking about mentioning them - it does seem to depend on where you live though as they have agents based all over and although some have had good experiences, others have been disappointed.
    I'm sure if you have a google & search this site you will find some info on them. Their main office is close by here.

10. f6c

f6c Funster

Such sad news:(

11. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

There are a couple of facebook sites for motor home buy sell.
    But I would sell separately, and wait till the start of the camping season.good luck!

12. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

So sorry you are having to give up what you have loved for so long.

I hate selling (and buying) vehicles. Perhaps the garage who serviced it would let you put it on their forecourt? There are also the motorhome magazines and their websites for advertising.

13. wingman

wingman Funster

I'm really sorry to hear your news. Almost a quarter of a century of motorhoming; now that's what you call experienced! You must have so many happy memories.

This will come to us all one day.

It's a shame that there are no other options - a smaller van/campervan (don't know if you drive your current vehicle?)

So now a new chapter and we send our best wishes to you both for the future.

James & Sue

• Like Like x 2
  14. maison

maison Funster

It's a shame you feel the need to give up but health must come first.

Good luck and long life to you both.

15. LAM

LAM Funster

Sorry to hear of your news. Like CW we too are newcomers and if we have as many years of motorhoming as yourselves (unlikely), we will consider ourselves very fortunate.
    Here's to a new and different memory making time :cheers:

16. Happy Phantom

Happy Phantom Read Only Funster

Thanks for all info and best wishes, I think with every thing there is time to when the best has been reached. We changed to automatic last year but doesn't really solve other issues, still we will have adventures in other ways and have always keep a log. Will be selling off lots of accessory bits when motorhome is organised so watch this space.

17. oggie

oggie Read Only Funster

Be wary using ebay/gumtree etc as you will no doubt attract the scammers, using the I am away on an oil rig and will pay you the full price via paypal and have my shipping agent pick the vehicle up.
    Good luck and be careful

• Like Like x 1
  18. neesyanne 3

neesyanne 3 Funster

Hi there sorry to read your post and sad that you have decided to stop MOHOming but please don't hurry your final decision. I don't know your husbands age but my husband had a triple CABAGE nearly 6 years ago aged 62 and it took a good12 months for him to get back to 'normal' . Exercise is the doctors remedy to getting fit again and it works. Best of luck for the future.

Nese & Mick

• Like Like x 1
  19. Gandhi

Gandhi

Sorry to read your story and all the best for the future.
    Re selling of the Motor Home - List it everywhere. I've sold narrow boats and motor homes in the past and recommend you stick it on Gumtree, Preloved and E Bay(An E Bay classified ad). If you have anyone in the family who understands basic computers then get them to create a FREE web site using something like Weebly and buy a URL along the lines of www.motorhomesale.co.uk (or similar, for example - it only costs a fiver) You can then link it to tons of forums and sites everywhere. When I was shopping around I very nearly bought from one of these sites - you have unlimited images and descriptions to upload.
    When you sell it NO test drives until you have ALL the CASH in your hands. Don't arrange to meet anyone halfway. If they want it they will travel. Do NOT give your PayPal details out - even very basic ones.
    Finally - WAIT. Motor Homing is seasonal and anyone buying now wil probably want a couple of grand at least knocking off because they can't use it fully yet. I would haggle because of this. Wait until March.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Jon and Debs

Jon and Debs Funster

We are new to motor homing and previously 20 year plus caravaners and hope to enjoy MH as long as we can as you have done. You must re focus and try to face this new chapter in your lives with different challenges and experiences geared to your current circumstances. Use the sale proceeds for other interests but most of all I hope that you are able to manage your health situation favourably. you must have some fantastic memories and experiences that the vast majority can never achieve. I can only wish you the very best in all respects and good luck to you both.

Jon

• Like Like x 1