Gibraltar (1 Viewer)

Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Any experience of either the aire by the marina or the campsite north of Gib ? We have electric bikes so travelling in won’t be a problem .
Many thanks !

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Any experience of either the aire by the marina or the campsite north of Gib ? We have electric bikes so travelling in won’t be a problem .
Many thanks !

We’ve stayed at Camping Sureuropa which I think is your “north of Gib” site.
It’s perfectly ok, nothing fancy and the local area is a bit scruffy but we felt quite safe. You could easily bike into Gib or you can get a bus in, stop not too far from site. The facilities at the site are shared with an adjoining leisure centre and showers can be busy in the evenings. It can also be noisy while the leisure centre is in use. Quiet by 11pm though. The site is part of a community for adults with learning difficulties who maintain the site as part of a sheltered work programme. Watch out for building overhang as you drive in.

Haven’t stayed at the marina, but have visited. It would be fine for a few days and I think I remember toilets & washing machines. Also near to bars & restaurants in La Linea - easy walk to the border.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Everything you need at the Marina “Aire” for a few nights stay. There is water, dumpage, a laundrette, but no shower block. The border crossing is a short walk from the Marina. Most of what you are likely to wish to do in Gib is walkable. Bikes are likely to be more of a nuisance than a help and I would not leave our two eBikes unattended, even with the locks we have. Also, they will not be much use if you plan to go up the Rock….well worth doing. We have stayed over at the Marina with our motorhome on 3 occasions and can recommend it.

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
p.s. Everything you need to know here……

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
P
Jul 10, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Thanks for all your timely replies , the marina aire it is . Any advice re the best arrival time ? Cheers .

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Any time, take card at entry and you pay for 24 hours, it was €17 per day last month,

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
You can arrive any time at the marina aire. Usually a big queue for the services I find there. Didn't bother last time and just waited till my next stop.

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Thanks for all your timely replies , the marina aire it is . Any advice re the best arrival time ? Cheers .

Leavers tend to go mid to late morning.

One word of warning: if the aire is busy when you leave, give yourself a good hour at least to empty and fill at the sole point.
The aire is now at least 5 times busier than a few years ago and they have not added to the original service point.
I understand from the security staff there that there have been a few angry confrontations as queues are slow to disappear and exit time limits exceeded, leading to additional charges.
(We always arrive early pm to leave mid/late morning after queuing.)

Jan 28, 2023
Hull, UK
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Exp
Since 2004
Make sure you take your marina parking ticket with you as they will not let you back in without proof of where you are staying. We went in November and the Spanish were playing silly games about going in and out.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
When heading for Gibraltar, just before arrival the road divides and either goes to Port or Gibraltar. Take the Port road. Excellent stopover with all amenities although not in one spot. In GiB, on your bikes look out for Morrisons Supermarket. No charge to enter but join hundreds of scooters at busy time. Finally they do not usually want you to pay with Euros, use £’s.

Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Make sure you take your marina parking ticket with you as they will not let you back in without proof of where you are staying. We went in November and the Spanish were playing silly games about going in and out.

Good point.
They are picking on UK visitors to and from Gib. The same questions are not being asked at other entry points. At least with as much scrutiny.
Yet another cheap shot at Gibraltar.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I had no issues crossing back in to spain. I just told the lady I was in an auto caravan and she handed my passport back.

Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
When heading for Gibraltar, just before arrival the road divides and either goes to Port or Gibraltar. Take the Port road. Excellent stopover with all amenities although not in one spot. In GiB, on your bikes look out for Morrisons Supermarket. No charge to enter but join hundreds of scooters at busy time. Finally they do not usually want you to pay with Euros, use £’s.

Eroski takes both currencies.

Note: the same restrictions apply with regards dairy and meat products as they do in the UK. Usually not checked but it can be.
Ironic really as all milk and meat originates in Spain.

Jul 18, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
I had no issues crossing back in to spain. I just told the lady I was in an auto caravan and she handed my passport back.

Have copy of your return booking with you just in case.
Ratio of refusals calculated locally at 5:1 so be warned.
Depends whether the duty officer is on his/her period.

Ads86

Free Member
Mar 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Side note, I had possibly the best tapas I have ever had not far from the boarder on the Spanish side, Bar La Chimenea. It's about a 10 minute walk from the boarder. It opens at 8pm and is full by 8.30pm! The food was superb and the wine was selection was great. Real authentic Spanish menu

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back