Getting prescriptions in the EU

Discussion in 'Motorhomes for the Disabled' started by paulkearnusic, Jun 12, 2014.

1. paulkearnusic

paulkearnusic Read Only Funster

I am disabled after breaking my back. Although I can't walk, I can 'haul' myself around inside the RV.
    My problem is that, we intend to go away next winter and I've no idea how I would go about getting my medications when in France or Spain.
    I need massive amounts of pain relief including morphine and was wondering how one goes about making sure of repeat supplies.

As we intend to go for 2 or 3 months, it's doubtful my doctor would be willing to prescribe that amount before we went.

Anyone any ideas or first hand knowledge?

Thanks

2. carolyn

carolyn Funster

Currently your GP can prescribe a maximum of 3 months medication on the NHS ,for non controlled drugs you can get a further supply on a private prescription but not for controlled drugs. If you go for longer than 3 months I think you would struggle to get prescriptions for controlled drugs. By controlled drugs I mean morphine, oxycodone, oxycontin and the like. Tramadol has been reclassified in the UK this week so that might be a problem as well. The EHIC card entitles you to the state health service of the country you are in so possibly if you have copies of your prescriptions , hospital notes and a letter from your GP you might be lucky but there is no guarantee. If your GP has known you a while it should not be a problem. Good luck.:Smile:

3. laneside

laneside Funster

I can only quote our experience but one of Lynda's drugs is a controlled one and with a copy of her prescription we have never failed to buy them in any Spanish pharmacy. We do set off with a three months supply off our own doctor and try to accumulate a few extra weeks

4. Ed Excel

Ed Excel Funster

Confirming what others have said, your doc will prescribe 3months supply but I have had no problem buying Methotrexate from chemists, without a script, in Spain. Just show them your empty container.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  5. sedge

sedge Funster

Guy in a fifth wheeler next to us in Portugal this winter was able to get Oramorph from the pharmacy with his copy scrip and the empty container with the pharmacy details and date on it.

We were gobsmacked really because we would have thought at the very least he'd have needed to see a doctor.

I know some friends we travelled with for about a week coming through Spain, couldn't get her BP tablets over the counter in Spain, after trying a few different shops in different towns, but dunno what they were.

I've realised how daft I've been not checking with shops in any country we've been to so far, for availability of Levothyroxine and Losartan in case we want to go for longer than 3 months any time. It's bad enough getting enough for 3 months anyway as the tablets are usually only 28 days.

And funnily enough I can get more than enough insulin because my repeat for that is 2 vials and I only use 1 every month so have 2 cos if I drop one .... - but blood testing strips ! :Eeek: You'd think I used em for lighting fags the fuss they make. OK so they do cost the NHS c. 40p per strip and I use a minimum of 5 a day - often more - but there's nowt I can do about THAT one!

And if they check they will notice that after I get my 3 months supply I then subsequently don't order any of anything for the next 3 months . LOL

6. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

I have obtained 3 months from my friendly GP.

In Spain I can buy diabetic tablets and various others over the counter but not sleeping tabs.......can be a problem......

Maybe someone put a script in for you, collect them and post them out to you?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Might be interesting in future as just been switch to insulin though..........:RollEyes:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  7. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

Terry is on propananol and he got 3 months script from his doctor but found he could buy them over the counter for just €2.80 for a months worth everywhere in Portugal, Spain and France so have got a years worth now to stop asking the doctor for them.
    Normal cough and cold medication costs more there than prescription drugs.

• Like Like x 1
  8. New Dawn

New Dawn Funster

I had the same problem with wintering abroad. But on having a discussion with the GP, he informed me that they do have the discretion to issue up to 4mths supply (subject to quick check up). My prescription is now on a regular 4mth issue. I have an annual health check, but they are more than happy to do this as it keeps me out of the surgery. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

9. PeteH

PeteH Funster

Similar Issue here. We can get 3month officially, (BTW the pharmacies often catchup on prescribing more than 3m). One trick is to order resupply at 3 week intervals that way every 3 months you have an extra month in hand?. Some of SWMBO`s stuff is NOT available in the USA, which means that IF we had issues she must see a doctor to get alternatives. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$?. BTW, be aware too that IF you are on any "benefits". DLA. PIP etc; more than 28days is reportable to the DWP (officially).