Getting medication whilst in France. (1 Viewer)

Robert 314

Free Member
Oct 15, 2015
Taunton. Somerset.
Funster No
MH
MH within 3 months.
Exp
Converted van. 5 yrs exploring.
I'm not sure if there is a seperate section for this type of question, I did look but found nothing relevent to 'Old man on medication in France'.
I have to take tablets for high blood pressure and I was informed by my local pharmasist that they are easy to accquire while abroad.
When I asked how I go about this problem she had no idea.
Could anyone explain how I would go about replenishing my stock of tablets in the unfortunate event of me running out. They are only basic tablets and nothing major.
Obviously I would try to take enough to cover the journey but it is an open ended trip and I'm not sure when I'm returning.
Thank you in anticipation.
Regards
Robert

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I believe you can get up to 3 months supply if you speak to your GP

if you run out you can buy over the counter at a Pharmacy .. just show them what you are taking..

I got BP tablets in Spain while away for 6 months

information here

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1755.aspx

If you need medication for a long-term health condition, such as high blood pressure or diabetes, you may be able to get an extra supply of medication to cover your time away.

You'll need to obtain a prescription from your GP, who will consider factors such as:

• the type of medication you're taking
  • restrictions on specific medicines in the country you're visiting
Your GP will take into account whether you're taking a medicine that requires you to have regular monitoring or blood tests.

You should arrange to see your GP several weeks before you go away on holiday to discuss all of this.

Reactions: kcy
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
As @scotjimland said see your doctor ours gave us five months worth this winter just going so it's worth asking,apparently on speaking to people out in Spain if you are staying in one area for a while register at a local doctors and they will sort out your tablets using EHIC.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I have purchased Statins in France and Spain. You need a copy of your prescription to show the pharmacist, it was no problem. In France, I even paid the cheap prescription rate, although I don't know how this is achieved, my French cousin did a lot of speaking to the pharmacist to get that :D

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Make sure you always carry your repeat prescription list with you, even in the uk

Upvote 0
May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
I speak limited French but went into a pharmacy with my repeat prescription and got them over the counter with no problem and they were cheaper than at home.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 36503

Deleted User
I speak limited French but went into a pharmacy with my repeat prescription and got them over the counter with no problem and they were cheaper than at home.

Exactly correct, we lived over there for 10 years and it was a few years living there before we actually registered with a doctor and organised our French Carte Grise.
Prior to that we used either our old prescription and then when that had run out of date I designed my own prescription on the computer, printed it off and scribbled a made up signature across the bottom and that proved to acceptable for almost 3 years! Naughty, naughty!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
We got to Barfleur a few hours after arriving on Brittany ferries and found that my wife had forgotten her thyroxin that she needs to take every day.I went into the local Pharmecy and explained the situation.No problems!paid 2 euros and walked out with a supply to last the 4 weeks we were in France for.

Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2014
peterborough
Funster No
MH
micro van
Exp
If you have a box with your name on it, showing you have a prescription , you can buy in a chemist. Done it often but you need to show there was a prescription .

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
I always get sufficient on repeat prescriptions to take with me but good advice to take prescription itself with you just in case. Mine are all long term/can't go without meds.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back