Germany and belgium (1 Viewer)

Bazzagas

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2022
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato bessacar
Hi everyone...we've never been to Belgium and Germany but are going may 7th to july 9th...I'm going through tunnel and turn left...got know idea where to stay..no planned route..no stopovers booked..and now everyone is saying German food is crap...what's wrong with it..Will I be put off and change my mind..
Need some pointers please...what will we eat..!!!!

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Ypres in Belgium is worth a visit, there's a WW1 museum in the cloth hall at the town square, the last post ceremony at the Menin gate every evening at 8PM, if you're lucky there may be a free concert in the town square, also battlefield tours are available, some decent restaurants and chocolate shops as well, there's a municipal campsite a ten minute walk to the town centre or there are a couple of aires as well.
Re German food, i've never found it to be anything other then good, but obviously expectations may vary.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
We prefer the aires in Belgium and stellplatz in Germany,seldom have to pay until you get to the Baltic coast.Plenty of Lidl and Aldi in Belgium and Germany and laid out just the same,
although we prefer the Aldi sud 👍

IMG_4232.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Both are great places to visit have aook at some of my trips links in my signature.

As for German food it's dire. 9/10 restaurants serve just Schnitzel or Bratwurst, menu's will say fresh mushrooms well they were before they were canned.

Last edited:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Globebus do an excuse of a burger or a bratwurst (cooked) for about a euro in a bun.
And apart from a drunken night in a croatian bar (and some kebabs) that would be the extent of our enjoyable meals out in Germany.
Similar to Lenny have a look within my signatures for relevant Germany and Belgium journals and there is a thread which probably isnt worth reading until page 10 with several people trying Germany during covid times https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...-august-september-information-sharing.225430/

Mar 22, 2023
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
Hi everyone...we've never been to Belgium and Germany but are going may 7th to july 9th...I'm going through tunnel and turn left...got know idea where to stay..no planned route..no stopovers booked..and now everyone is saying German food is crap...what's wrong with it..Will I be put off and change my mind..
I know both countries very well, there is absolutely nothing to fear.

I prefer Germany and have travelled extensively there, it is just about the easiest country to get on in, as to the food, it is usually of excellent quality.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Head for Brugge as easy drive along one road from tunnel or ferry then Luxembourg fill up with fuel have a day in the city then head to Bavaria😁 you can spend weeks there on the Romantic Road and along the Alpine Trail to Austria.

Food is an acquired taste some love it others not just have to be a bit selective on where you go.

You can’t go wrong in Germany so many places to stay at reasonable rates.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Strange route.
If you had gone by the night ferry from just down the road, Newcastle to Amsterdam, you could have been in Germany within 2 hours of arrival.

Instead you will spend a day travelling south before spending a day travelling back north
Amsterdam/Antwerp is 160km/1h.45m
Newcastle/Dover is 300miles/6hrs, then plus Calais/Antwerp is 200km/2h30m

As for food, considering you come from Newcastle, the home of Parmo, Craster kippers and Panackelty, German cuisine will be fine.
Lots of meat, potatoes and other root vegetables.
Just don't order the eisbein!

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2022
Norfolk Broads
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
We went to Germany for the first time in the van last September. We found it beautiful, interesting and much cheaper than France. In particular the Mosel area, Black Forest, Bodensee, and the southern border with Austria. Highly recommend it. Food was ok, used a mix of sites and stellplatz, people were friendly and extremely good service in restaurants and shops etc.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Just a quick heads up for anyone considering visiting Ypres, the Menin Gate is currently part way through a two year restoration and is covered in scaffolding apparently, so you will not be able to read the 50 odd thousand names on it, however the last post ceremony is still taking place on the bridge in front of the gate and there is still pedestrian access through the gate to get into town.

OP
OP
B

Bazzagas

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2022
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato bessacar
Strange route.
If you had gone by the night ferry from just down the road, Newcastle to Amsterdam, you could have been in Germany within 2 hours of arrival.

Instead you will spend a day travelling south before spending a day travelling back north

As for food, considering you come from Newcastle, the home of Parmo, Craster kippers and Panackelty, German cuisine will be fine.
Thanks for that brains..I didn't want info on the route..for reasons i wont go into we prefer the tunnel, also we don't want to be in Germany within 2 hrs of arriving but want to spend time in belgium...
As for food you should get your facts right...
Parmo is a dish from Middlesbrough ( not Newcastle)..
Craster kippers are , as the name suggests from Craster in Northumberland ( not Newcastle )...
I will take your advice on avoiding the eisbein..

Strange route.

Strange route.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
I would advise you to try the Eisbein, also known as Haxe in some regions.

If you like pork with crackling, try the Haxe in Munich.

Germany is a lovely and interesting country.😀

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Head for Brugge as easy drive along one road from tunnel or ferry then Luxembourg fill up with fuel have a day in the city then head to Bavaria😁 you can spend weeks there on the Romantic Road and along the Alpine Trail to Austria.

Food is an acquired taste some love it others not just have to be a bit selective on where you go.

You can’t go wrong in Germany so many places to stay at reasonable rates.
Yes, this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^👍👍

Feb 9, 2011
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 120
Exp
Since 2002
Only lived in Nordrhein Westfalen for 3 years, so no expert but I don't remember the good being crap? Plenty of crap food to be eaten if that's what you want to do, in the same way that chinese, fish n chips and maccies are available here?

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
We had a small tour of the Mosel and the Romantic Road last October, which you might find helpful. Here is a link to our travelogue

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/wandering-in-germany.291026/

On the food, it is all a matter of taste I guess. We didn’t have a bad meal, many were a bit bland, one or two were good. But we like French and Spanish food so it was always going to be different.

Overall we were pleasantly surprised by Germany, it was beautiful, friendly and good value. The cycle paths are superb, towns impressive and the scenery beautiful. It has become one of our preferred destinations and we will definitely go back.

Last edited:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
My tip is to collect euro coins by paying for things with a note and collecting the change. We found that many stellplatz had coin operated payment meters.
Not all businesses take UK credit cards so have alternative means of payment.
Both Northern Germany, Berlin, Baltic Coast etc are worth a visit and so is Bavaria and Black Forest in the South.
Both visits we started by travelling along the Mosel to Koblenz and then either cut inland to Erfurt, Wartburg, Jena, then Up to Berlin and on up to Usedom, Peenamunde and back along to Kiel.
Download route here
Or south from Koblenz a bit of the Rhine, we stayed at Camping Lorelei Blick, south to Rothenburg, lake Chimensee, Eagles Nest and then back west to Garmish Partenkirchen, nNeuschwanstein and Rhine Falls, turn back for home via Kinzig Valley in Black Forest.
Download route here

Aug 12, 2021
Nantwitch Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Flair
Exp
25years
I’ve been travelling in Germany over 50 years love the people have always been helpfull most speak very good English and the food is good chose restraints locals eat at you’ll love it.i have my motorhome service there buy my tyres even my WMF cook wear,can’t fail to love it .
IMG_0283.jpeg

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
I’ve been travelling in Germany over 50 years love the people have always been helpfull most speak very good English and the food is good chose restraints locals eat at you’ll love it.i have my motorhome service there buy my tyres even my WMF cook wear,can’t fail to love it .View attachment 855348
Are tyres cheaper there? It sounds a good idea.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back