Generator- what to look out for

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by errpaul, Feb 2, 2014.

1. errpaul

errpaul Funster

Looking at second hand generators.........what should I look out for? Is there anying specific to look at, or test?

Also what would be a good price for a used kippor or Honda? Something like the eu20?

Cheers

2. JJ

JJ Funster

The only deffo thing I would recommend is to make sure it is a pure sine wave genny...

JJ :Cool:

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Can't comment on Kipors.. never had one

Had a Honda EU20 and a finer bit of kit you cannot find.. but as you are aware are pricey and second hand fetch good money.. more than you will pay for a new Kipor

check ebay for prices.. when I sold mine I got nearly as much as I paid for it.. they hold their value so you will lose little when or if you sell..

If it's just for very occasional use.. then buy a Kipor.. if mission critical .. buy Honda

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  4. jezport

jezport Funster

Ive seen a couple of people suffer failures with kipors. Maybe they were unlucky, but Ive never seen a person suffer a breakdown with a Honda sinewave genny.

5. FULL TIMER

FULL TIMER Read Only Funster

When looking at SH models don't just hear one running plug in something very near it's maximum output to check it actually works properly, when I was looking I decided on a new Hyundai with a 2 year warranty rather than a second hand Honda at much the same price, so far I'm very happy with it.

6. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

As mentioned, get a pure sine wave model. I have an EU10i so am biased towards Honda. The EU20i is undoubtedly an excellent product and more robust than the 10i but I did not need the size nor want to haul the bigger model about.
    This chap sells second hand Hondas and appears to know a lot about them.
    http://www.petepower.co.uk/index.html

• Like Like x 1
  7. Allanm

Allanm Funster

As above. I spoke to Pete when I wanted a Honda but he had none at the time. He warned me about buying used, most of the ones he gets in to refurbish, especially Hondas, have had a hard life ( but still look pretty new) and are almost worn out.
    Tread carefully....

Allan