Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
I should be able to yes but there's a but.
I am looking at changing the very much under powered 1.9 td engine thats clearly not up to the job to a 2.5 and gearbox at the same time preferably becasue as you mention its working its nuts off especially up hills as it working at full or near full capacity.

There must be a flip side to your theory though Daz as otherwise why would they keep on doing it year in and year out?
What sort of vehicle with similar fuel costs would you suggest out of interest?
As naturally buying a new engine and box makes me think is it time to upgrade rather than modify?

Its not the convertors fault they build on inadequate vehicle bases...its the customers that insist on a van that will do 45mpg :Doh:

If you want to pull a 3 ton lump around a 2ltr will do it (just!!!) but having said that you can knock a 6" nail in using a pin hammer but just because you can doesnt mean its the right tool for the job does it??

The best base vehicle in my humble opinion is either a 5 tonne Iveco or Merc (although i hate Mercs with a passion but the choice is very limited!!!) or a small truck chassis. But as long as the customer wants to see mpg figures in the 30s+ its not going to happen is it?? You cant have a heavy duty base vehicle without a heavy duty power system that uses fuel.

Ask anyone who owns an RV if the cost of fuel is offset by the advantages it brings, you wont find many who want to downsize to a Eurobox :winky:

The Yanks seem to do it in reverse to the Euro guys, they decide what they want to put in the RV, calculate the weight and add a really good payload on top then find a chassis to fit. The Euroguys decide on what they want to build calculate the weight, find a van that can just about carry it and then go about trying to reduce the weight by filling the cupboard doors with helium :Doh:.

Stop messing around and just buy an RV........you know it makes sense :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back