Gasoil or Diesel

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by jaygee, Aug 31, 2011.

1. jaygee

jaygee Funster

Over here in France & Spain the petrol stations offer Gasoil or Diesel at the pumps. Out of interest can anyone tell me what the difference is as gasoil is about 40cents cheaper.
    I'm assuming gasoil is similar to Red Diesel in the Uk i.e. agricultural diesel?

2. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Fill your tank with Red and the police/customs catch you it will be a lot more than 40 cents a gallon especially if you come to the UK with any traces of it in your tank.

DONT PUT IT IN.

Peter

3. Loujess

Loujess Read Only Funster

:Eeek: we have always filled up with gazole in France. Are you saying that's wrong? Everybody else seems to do it. :Eeek:

Ivy

4. buyer

buyer Funster - Life Member Life Member

hi, can't comment about france or spain but you are right on the money when it comes to the uk.gas oil here is red diesel ,as you say agricultural diesel fuel with little or no duty ,and definately not to be used as road fuel for the average motorist(there are some exeptions to this) hence the huge price difference. steve.:thumb:

5. bernardfeay

bernardfeay Read Only Funster

I always understood gasoil to be a translation of diesel. We put it in our tank all the time. Never had any bother. I think you will find that you don't get a choice of diesel or gasoil; youjust get one or the other depending on the country.

6. jaygee

jaygee Funster

You definetly get the choice at some petrol stations.
    Will putting gasoil into a diesel engine do any damage.

7. buyer

buyer Funster - Life Member Life Member

if the gasoil is red in colour and you return to the uk it will damage the contents of your wallet if you get caught by hmrc:thumb:

8. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Onboard ship we run our diesels on gas oil (MGO, the M standing for Marine) at a guess the difference could be not in colour (MGO comes in various shades of red through to clear duty not paid) but the sulphur content and the specific gravity.

And again I'm just guessing but gas oil may have an effect on your Cats performance reducing or even clogging it! :Eeek: and could accelerate injector nozzle wear, hence a reduction in engine performance and a probable emissions failure come MOT time.

Someone with a greater knowledge may correct me on this:thumb:

9. bernardfeay

bernardfeay Read Only Funster

just done a bit more internet research, gasoil or gazole is just regular diesel. no worries.

10. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I think you are referring to Gasiol A or Gasiol B. In rural Spain the cheaper one is red agricultural fuel ie NO TAX. Its normally about 1 Euro per ltr. Don't use it for road use.

11. Gooney

Gooney Funster

Isn't the 'red' in the diesel just a colourant added so the Customs and excise can recognise it as non duty paid fuel, i.e. agricultural or fishing boats?

12. jaygee

jaygee Funster

Just what we thought. I believe the nozzle is quite a lot larger too for Gasoil.

13. Snowbird

The larger nozzle is for trucks...faster fill.

14. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

I have always understand it to be regular diesel.. They charge the same price !!!
    If it was at a pump with a big price difference then I would suspect it as red diesel..

Any way. I'm not worried about them dipping my diesel tanks.. It's the 100ltr water tank that I drain and fill with Spanish Bacardi that worries me...:Rofl1::Rofl1::Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  15. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Speaking to a chap on a canal boat in France he told me you cannot get Red Diesel in France so they fill up with 500 gallons in Belgium but you must have a receipt with you at all times. :BigGrin: Bob.

16. upmarkethippy

upmarkethippy Read Only Funster

I have always believed that the difference between gasoil and diesel is:

Gasoil is a less refined diesel specifically for trucks/hgv's

Diesel is a more refined version for the modern car engine.

Happy to be proved wrong, especially before i go abroad again and fill up..lol

• Like Like x 1
  17. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Definative answer from Total UK

Gas Oil is used for industrial heating, by off-road diesel vehicles and machinery, as a marine fuel, and as a fuel for rail locomotives. It is clearly marked with a red dye to differentiate it from ULSD.

France may have different rules on using red diesel, i dont know, but if you put it in over there then come home and get dipped you will be heavily fined and your vehicle will be confiscated and possible destroyed.

Supposedly, once you put red diesel in your tank you cant get rid of the residual red dye after filling with duty paid diesel so theres no escape....how true this is i dont know :Doh:

18. voyagerstan

voyagerstan Read Only Funster

gasoil & deisel exactly the same :thumb::thumb:

19. Snowbird

Gasoil is what papajohn says it is. Heating oil, agricultural fuel.

Gasoleo is Spanish for diesel....Gasoleo A. Gasoleo B. Cant remember which is which,but one of them is red,used for tractors. One is a shade of green used for roadfuel....End of Spanish lesson.:BigGrin:

20. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

When gasoil is produced at the refinery it is either sold as gasoil with the red tracer dye added.. or further refined to reduce the sulphur and becomes ULSD .. or diesel .. a short version of the correct name DERV .. diesel engine road vehicle fuel ..

With regard to engine performance, it was my experience while in Morocco (where they only sell gasoil,) that my Cummins engine not only performed better but also better MPG, albeit a bit more smoky on cold start up..

IMO .. ULSD isn't better for the engine... but better for the environment ..