GASLOW SYSTEMS Auto changover

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by martin2603, Nov 28, 2014.

1. martin2603

martin2603 Funster

Has anyone had experience of the Auto Changeover regulator not working on the dual cylinder system
    Oven and grille work ok but I believe the truma boiler needs a higher pressure to fire up. Both gauges read ok (not the magnetic types) There is no manual over ride on the valve.

Any Ideas?

Martin

2. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Might just need the boiler servicing ..
    have you tried filling the gas up and checking if the boiler then works ?

3. TerryL

TerryL Funster

I didn't think the autochanger was related to the regulator - but I'm happy to be proved otherwise. Sounds more like the regulator is starting to fail to me.

4. makems

makems Funster Life Member

Is the regulator by Truma?
    If so I would go with Terry's diagnosis.
    We had an almost identical set of symptoms a couple of years ago. The regulator was gummed up with oily residue and reducing the gas flow. Sufficient to run the hob and the fridge but not sufficient flow for the boiler.
    Truma regulators are notorious for failing due to this cause.

5. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Was this when you was in a certain place somewhat south of here by chance ? :)

6. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

Any idea how many fill ups you might get before regulators start to gum up when using refillable systems?

7. makems

Yep, that was me. Guilty as charged.

8. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I well remember it Mike !!!

9. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

A while later I replaced my unit with a 'normal' regulator.. I seem to remember you ended up replacing like for like and having to get it from Portugal ?

10. TerryL

TerryL Funster

Some people have had it happen a couple of times in a short period, others (like me - so far!) have never had it happen. Despite all sorts of theories that have been expounded on here, there doesn't seem to be a cast iron answer.

I carry a spare!

11. Mattyjwr

I was about to buy an automatic change over valve with the regulator built in (£48). I am wondering if it would be more economical to buy two separate items (total of £60) as the regulator is only a few pounds to replace in the future.

12. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

That is what I would do ! The auto changover bits never seem to cause any grief ( at least none I know of ) but the regulators are for ever gumming up !

13. TerryL

TerryL Funster

Have to say I wonder if an automatic changeover valve is really worth it? Given the inaccuracy of the gauges I'm far happier just running on one bottle then when it runs out changing it over manually and start planning a refill. That way I never unknowingly run out of gas.
    I haven't bothered with a manual changeover either, just shut one bottle off and open the other. K.I.S.S.

• Like Like x 2
  14. makems

I got it replaced in Portugal but not with a Truma - I got a Clesse as Tommy at Camperserv was out of stock of Trumas - there had been so many failing.
    Strangely the Clesse failed just under a year later and Tommy replaced it under warranty. Different issue though, the Clesse was just leaking from somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  15. sleep e carr

sleep e carr

I have had my van for 3 months and had change over valve for half of that but have had no trouble with it at all,
    I bought it from a firm in Bangor northern Ireland my fitter from KDR Leisure Scarborough fitted it when he came to do my elec and gas check, I find it some much easier than struggling with bottles, I have had pig tails fitted, one goe's to blue, and one to red bottle just turn the tap and your back on, as long as it takes to unlock the gas cupboard and turn the tap, mine was £45 delivered hope this helps

16. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

have had a few truma regulators gum up and fail, but never a cleese or a gas-it, both of them cheaper than the truma

17. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Its odd really.. makes me wonder what is in the Truma ones that make em fail as often as they do.
    Would not be so bad if they were sensibly priced.. Might be they are saving the jets in the various appliances getting gummed up.. but at about £40+ a go every two years I think I will take my chances with a cheaper option !

18. Mattyjwr

Having installed 2 x full 6kg bottles, I filled them after a fortnight of use with BP lpg (approx £12). This afternoon, I noticed some brown oily liquid seeping from the fill point hose. I'll tighten the hose tomorrow but was staggered that so much oil was present after one filling (it is too late to tell how much exactly but I'm guessing at least half a teaspoon). Is this likely to have been an isolated contaminated supply or is this degree of contamination normal?

19. jonsea

jonsea Funster

Can anyone tell me when you fill up in the UK do you use the UK adaptor or just put the nozzle in lock it on and then push button,sorry to be pain first time filling up today cheers to everyone

20. trophychap

trophychap Funster

In the UK you just put the nozzle on and lock it. Assuming you have a standard UK fitment you will only need adaptors abroad.

• Like Like x 1